Old Testament: Representational or Literal?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Katy Lied
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 9435

    #1

    Old Testament: Representational or Literal?

    I've been pondering some of the posts online, especially Solon's comments about interpreting the OT as representational. I'm starting to write something on it, but I would like to get your reactions first. Remember: this is your opinion of the Old Testament only, not the BOM or the NT etc.
    16
    Inerrancy: The OT is without error and contradiction
    0.00%
    0
    Literalism: The OT is a literal interpretation of events but allegory/metaphor should be discounted
    0.00%
    0
    Infallibility: the OT is free from errors regarding faith but not necessarily science/history
    18.75%
    3
    Translatability: The OT is the word of God as far as it is translated correctly.
    50.00%
    8
    Bible as Literature: The OT has rich literary qualities, but no miraculous elements
    31.25%
    5

    The poll is expired.

  • All-American
    Right, as Usual
    • Nov 2008
    • 15673

    #2
    Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
    I've been pondering some of the posts online, especially Solon's comments about interpreting the OT as representational. I'm starting to write something on it, but I would like to get your reactions first. Remember: this is your opinion of the Old Testament only, not the BOM or the NT etc.
    In the beginning, almost exclusively allegorical, but less and less so toward the end.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

    Comment

    • Indy Coug
      Heartless Bastard
      • Dec 2008
      • 18747

      #3
      So what becomes of Noah and Adam, who many consider the accounts of their lives to be entirely allegorical, but their literal existence is essential for other scriptural accounts (that have theoretically been later enough to have successfully crawled out of the primordial allegorical soup) to be true?
      Everything in life is an approximation.

      http://twitter.com/CougarStats

      Comment

      • Moliere
        One man.....one pie
        • Oct 2009
        • 27893

        #4
        I believe most of the stories in the OT have some basis in reality but the stories were changed/embelished (not sure of the right word here) to create more of a parable or allegorical story.

        For instance, I believe Noah existed (hard to deny that given that JS taught he was the angel Gabriel that talked to Mary) but I don't believe in a world wide flood. It was probably a regional flood.

        Also, I guess Jonah was probably a real person but I doubt he spent 3 days in the belly of a great fish. Obviously this story is a type of the death and resurrection of Christ. But then again, Jonah may have lived and preached, thus making him possible a real person but most of the story may be allegorical.

        That being said, Elijah was obviously real and those she-bears really did tear up those mean, snotty kids.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

        Comment

        • All-American
          Right, as Usual
          • Nov 2008
          • 15673

          #5
          Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
          So what becomes of Noah and Adam, who many consider the accounts of their lives to be entirely allegorical, but their literal existence is essential for other scriptural accounts (that have theoretically been later enough to have successfully crawled out of the primordial allegorical soup) to be true?
          I think there probably was a Noah, and there probably was a flood, but that it wasn't universal. Adam and Eve are tougher to reconcile. I'm okay with the idea that there came a point where a hominid species had evolved to the point that it could host a spirit of our kind, and that THIS guy was Adam. I dunno.
          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

          Comment

          • jay santos
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 13652

            #6
            Originally posted by All-American View Post
            In the beginning, almost exclusively allegorical, but less and less so toward the end.
            To some degree, this is where I stand. My understanding is that the Pentateuch came together circa 1000 BC and put together by a few or even a team of scholars of the day, summarizing various written sources that probably summarized previously written sources that probably summarized previous oral legends.

            I'm trying to have faith in scripture, but the older I get the more skeptical I am about a lot of the written word.

            Comment

            • Moliere
              One man.....one pie
              • Oct 2009
              • 27893

              #7
              Originally posted by jay santos View Post
              I'm trying to have faith in scripture, but the older I get the more skeptical I am about a lot of the written word.
              Skeptical about what? The reason for the scriptures is to teach us Gospel and help us live a life that will enable us to live with God. Whether that is done through the telling of literal events or through allegories/parables shouldn't make a difference. Even Christ used many parables to teach the people how they should live.

              Now, if you mean you are skeptical about the written word in that you aren't sure if Christ lived, died, and was resurrected, then I get your point.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

              Comment

              • Jeff Lebowski
                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 69735

                #8
                Originally posted by All-American View Post
                In the beginning, almost exclusively allegorical, but less and less so toward the end.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment

                • jay santos
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 13652

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
                  Skeptical about what? The reason for the scriptures is to teach us Gospel and help us live a life that will enable us to live with God. Whether that is done through the telling of literal events or through allegories/parables shouldn't make a difference. Even Christ used many parables to teach the people how they should live.

                  Now, if you mean you are skeptical about the written word in that you aren't sure if Christ lived, died, and was resurrected, then I get your point.
                  Not skeptical about Christ. Skeptical about how much communication there was/is between God and man. i.e. is the doctrine in scripture any more valid than writings of any random, pretty good man trying to be close to God.

                  Comment

                  • Solon
                    Lost in the flood
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 5747

                    #10
                    Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                    To some degree, this is where I stand. My understanding is that the Pentateuch came together circa 1000 BC and put together by a few or even a team of scholars of the day, summarizing various written sources that probably summarized previously written sources that probably summarized previous oral legends.

                    I'm trying to have faith in scripture, but the older I get the more skeptical I am about a lot of the written word.
                    I think most scholars would say the earliest writings are from ca. 700 - King Josiah. While the Hebrews were definitely wriiting stuff down (inscriptions) as early as 1000, nothing of substance (and certainly nothing like history) has survived.

                    "Literal" history is largely an invention of the Greek Thucydides, who wrote in the late 5th century BC.

                    In a way, it's an unfair question, since "the Bible" is really several different types of documents that have been cobbled together, edited, and redacted over hundreds of years. Of course some of these texts (Chronicles) are going to seem more "literal" than others (like Job). However, we call this compilation "the book" as if there existed some type of original thematic or subjective unity, when this clearly is not the case.

                    PS, thanks for the shout-out, KL.
                    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

                    Comment

                    • SeattleUte
                      Faith crisis consultant
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 20837

                      #11
                      The poll is too binary.
                      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                      --Jonathan Swift

                      Comment

                      • creekster
                        It is NOT a monkey!
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 22661

                        #12
                        Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                        The poll is too binary.
                        Agreed. I don't like any of the choices.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                        Comment

                        • Jarid in Cedar
                          CS Institutional Memory
                          • Jun 2009
                          • 13234

                          #13
                          I struggle more with what I think about the OT than the NT. It comes across as much like the mythology of the Hebrews as an explanation of their origins. Similar to the Greek and Roman Gods, in that those civilizations used the Gods to explain the world around them.
                          "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

                          "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

                          "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

                          -Rick Majerus

                          Comment

                          • Jarid in Cedar
                            CS Institutional Memory
                            • Jun 2009
                            • 13234

                            #14
                            Originally posted by All-American View Post
                            I think there probably was a Noah, and there probably was a flood, but that it wasn't universal. Adam and Eve are tougher to reconcile. I'm okay with the idea that there came a point where a hominid species had evolved to the point that it could host a spirit of our kind, and that THIS guy was Adam. I dunno.
                            My beliefs are similar to this, but I view Adam and Eve more as allegorical representatives of a larger group of hominids.
                            "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

                            "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

                            "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

                            -Rick Majerus

                            Comment

                            • All-American
                              Right, as Usual
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 15673

                              #15
                              Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                              The poll is too binary.
                              Most polls are.

                              For the record, I chose the "translated correctly" option, partly because I think it's the best answer and partly out of the compulsion to toe the party line. You have to do some major violence to the term "translate" to make that statement a reflection of my idea. If by "translate" you mean rendering it into English from the best Hebrew texts (or even the non-existent "manuscripts"), that's not really what I believe. If you understand "translate" in light of its etymological origins as a participle of the Latin "transfero" and incorporate in the term the transmission and reception of the text from the original event to its current depiction in the bible, including the multiple cycles of emission and reception, then sure, that works.

                              In other words, the bible is correct as far as the text is a correct depiction of actual events. I guess I'm really going out on a limb by saying that the bible is true to the extent that it is true, aren't I?
                              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                              Comment

                              Working...