Old Testament Sunday School

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • I.J. Reilly
    Nobody's Fool
    • Apr 2009
    • 2949

    #16
    HFN, I now cordially invite you to the Sunday School class my wife and I teach for the 14/15 year-olds. I think you would enjoy it. I could care less about the physical or historical claims of the OT, at least in the sense of trying to "prove" or "know" anything about what happened then, and the kids seem to agree. We talk pretty much exclusively about how the stuff relates to our lives and the spiritual lessons we can pull out of our class to apply in our daily lives. I can't guarantee anything about the lessons on the weeks that we are off, though

    I actually think that the manual, by using the Book of Moses to do the heavy lifting for the SS lessons (at least these first ones), lets you cut free from the literalism.

    Comment

    • SoonerCoug
      Joycelyn Elders Supporter
      • Nov 2008
      • 4680

      #17
      Originally posted by Parrot Head View Post
      I've got to teach this to the 12/13 year olds next week -- anything good I can throw out there?
      I need to think about it some more.

      One approach would be to discuss genetic bottlenecks and the founder effect. I would love to give a Sunday School lesson on Mormon population genetics. I'd talk about how polygamy generated weird Mormon diseases like hereditary hemorrhagic telangectasia (Utah Mormons) or fumarase deficiency (FLDS).

      Sometimes a species can survive something horrible, even something so traumatic that shrinks a population to a very small number of individuals. However, it's more common for a small population to go extinct. Genetic variation is important for survival. Every individual has a whole bunch of mutations that don't cause problems because every gene has two copies (one from mom and one from dad), and we usually end up with one good copy even if the other is mutated. If you increase the frequency of specific bad mutations by starting over with a just one male and one female, you end up with two bad copies, and the species often ends up screwed.

      The other issue is that we need mutations to adapt. If a population lacks genetic variation, then it won't survive when challenged. For example, cystic fibrosis exists specifically because the cystic fiborsis mutation is good when a person gets sick with cholera. (One cystic fibrosis mutation allows survival in a cholera epidemic, while a pair of mutations results in cystic fibrosis.) If you have a small population without genetic variation, the species is more likely to be wiped out by disease.

      Long story short: Even if Noah did fit all ~20,000 known vertebrate non-fish, non-bird species onto his little boat, many of them would have gone extinct after the flood.
      Last edited by SoonerCoug; 02-09-2010, 09:51 PM.
      That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

      http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

      Comment

      • The_Tick
        Made something of myself
        • Nov 2008
        • 7295

        #18
        TW and I are team teaching the 15-18 year olds. I wish they commented more.

        I ended the lesson on Sunday with this..."Noah and the Ark...literal or figurative..." go home and discuss it with your folks and let me know about the discussion.

        I just don't get class participation. Even from my kid.

        We are only 2 weeks in though.

        If any of you are in the Bakersfield area, you can attend my class as a special guest...

        Comment

        • PaloAltoCougar
          Semper infra dignitatem
          • Nov 2008
          • 16938

          #19
          Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
          ... Even if Noah did fit all ~20,000 known vertebrate non-fish, non-bird species onto his little boat, many of them would have gone extinct after the flood.
          Is that number at least approximately accurate? I have no idea, but I'm certain it's huge. I intend to make use of it Sunday when I teach the Noah lesson. Since the number, whatever it is, has been proven, and the size of the Ark is known and thus incapable of holding anything close to that number, one must either deny the literal truth of the Flood story, or subscribe to a weird post-flood evolutionary theory, which is equally abhorrent to the literalists. Happily, few in my class are literalists, but I feel a need to address the few on occasion. Sunday will be fun.

          Comment

          • SoonerCoug
            Joycelyn Elders Supporter
            • Nov 2008
            • 4680

            #20
            Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
            Is that number at least approximately accurate? I have no idea, but I'm certain it's huge. I intend to make use of it Sunday when I teach the Noah lesson. Since the number, whatever it is, has been proven, and the size of the Ark is known and thus incapable of holding anything close to that number, one must either deny the literal truth of the Flood story, or subscribe to a weird post-flood evolutionary theory, which is equally abhorrent to the literalists. Happily, few in my class are literalists, but I feel a need to address the few on occasion. Sunday will be fun.
            Yeah, it's pretty accurate. It includes amphibians, reptiles, and mammals. Some of those species are water-dwelling, so it's probably an overestimate. Even so, many of the water dwellers (including fish) could have only survived in fresh water.
            That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

            http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

            Comment

            • hopfrog
              Junior Member
              • Feb 2010
              • 140

              #21
              This is interesting. I cannot believe that the mentions of "the waters of Noah" in the BoM and of the Ark in D&C are meant to be allegorical. Or that there is a mystical connotation in the "record" of Noah having lived 950 years. I love The Book of Job, yet it certainly seems organized as scriptural fable. The idea of the ark as God's Tardis (Doctor Who reference) certainly seems preposterous. One investigator, looking at the Gospel Doctrine illustration of Adam and Eve, muttered, "Well, they wouldn't look like that", referring to the historical evidence of Cro-Magnon remains. It sucks that faith too often results in having to put logic on hold.
              Last edited by hopfrog; 02-09-2010, 09:47 PM.
              "We work in the dark -- we do what we can -- we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art."
              --Henry James (1843-1916)

              Comment

              • Coach McGuirk
                1
                • Nov 2008
                • 12109

                #22
                Right now I teach valiant 9 class and I struggle with what I am teaching. I don't think it is my duty to interpret what is in the manual and it is the parents duty to sort through the literal and allegorical dilemma. I do find it hard to teach that which I am not of strong belief myself. I struggle each sunday to figure out how I walk this fine line but always lean to just teaching straight out the manual and dealing with my problem.

                Comment

                • SuperGabers
                  aka... UtahDan's Wifey
                  • May 2009
                  • 2182

                  #23
                  Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
                  Long story short: Even if Noah did fit all ~20,000 known vertebrate non-fish, non-bird species onto his little boat, many of them would have gone extinct after the flood.
                  Hence: No unicorns.

                  Comment

                  • Art Vandelay
                    Striving for mediocrity
                    • Jul 2009
                    • 10516

                    #24
                    Why did he bring the freaking rats. I hate those things... no I mean I REALLY hate those things. I bet Ham brought them along.

                    Comment

                    • TripletDaddy
                      sweet triple
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 58186

                      #25
                      Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                      Why did he bring the freaking rats. I hate those things... no I mean I REALLY hate those things. I bet Ham brought them along.
                      Cain was swimming behind the boat....WAIT FOR ME!!!! WAIT UP!!!!
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      Working...