Stake Conference "Crashers"

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • DrumNFeather
    Invisible Swordsman
    • Nov 2008
    • 8854

    #1

    Stake Conference "Crashers"

    Our stake was recently informed that Elder Oaks would be coming out to speak at our stake conference. This past weekend in ward council, we were told that our ward hat the 10:00 Am slot, but we should plan on being there at 8:30 or 9:00 to ensure a seat and avoid conference "crashers" coming from outside the stake just to see Elder Oaks speak.

    Have you ever gone to another stake's conference in order to see a GA or Apostle speak?
    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.
  • beelzebabette
    Golf & Cubs Disrespecter
    • Nov 2008
    • 2907

    #2
    Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Our stake was recently informed that Elder Oaks would be coming out to speak at our stake conference. This past weekend in ward council, we were told that our ward hat the 10:00 Am slot, but we should plan on being there at 8:30 or 9:00 to ensure a seat and avoid conference "crashers" coming from outside the stake just to see Elder Oaks speak.

    Have you ever gone to another stake's conference in order to see a GA or Apostle speak?
    If you show up at 9:55 and there's no seating available, does that mean you get a sanctioned bye week?

    Comment

    • TripletDaddy
      sweet triple
      • Nov 2008
      • 58186

      #3
      I have a hard enough time sitting in my living room twice a year to watch GAs and Apostles speak. Why would I drive out of my stake boundaries to do it?
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

      sigpic

      Comment

      • il Padrino Ute
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 19161

        #4
        Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
        Our stake was recently informed that Elder Oaks would be coming out to speak at our stake conference. This past weekend in ward council, we were told that our ward hat the 10:00 Am slot, but we should plan on being there at 8:30 or 9:00 to ensure a seat and avoid conference "crashers" coming from outside the stake just to see Elder Oaks speak.

        Have you ever gone to another stake's conference in order to see a GA or Apostle speak?
        I rarely go to my own stake conference. No reason to go to another.

        It's similar to funeral crashers when word gets out that a GA will be speaking. I've seen that many, many times.
        "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


        "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

        Comment

        • Clark Addison
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 10306

          #5
          We had Elder Eyering a year or so ago. We had crowd problems, but it wasn't so much people from other stakes as some of the folks that take Stake Conference as a semi-annual vacation day. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

          It may have helped that the stakes near us were specifically told not to come. It didn't cause me an issue, as I was in the choir and had a perfect view from 8 feet directly behind him. Suit was a little worn out, which I thought was kind of cool. Didn't have a single note with him, and just spoke off the cuff while continually flipping through his scriptures.

          Comment

          • HuskyFreeNorthwest
            Time to camp
            • Nov 2008
            • 26082

            #6
            I would have assumed they meant crashers like people wanting to make a scene.
            Get confident, stupid
            -landpoke

            Comment

            • RobinFinderson
              Banned
              • Nov 2008
              • 10548

              #7
              Do GA's ever say anything different than anyone else? The most interesting things I remember them saying always had to do with regional changes in leadership, which might be good grist for the local gossip circuit, but would hardly be a reason to travel out of stake. The crowds seem to be an extension of America's love of celebrity.

              Comment

              • Jeff Lebowski
                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 69698

                #8
                Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                I rarely go to my own stake conference. No reason to go to another.

                It's similar to funeral crashers when word gets out that a GA will be speaking. I've seen that many, many times.
                President Monson showed up at a funeral in our ward a couple of years ago. It must have been a well-kept secret because we had a small crowd. It was kind of funny to see how some people reacted.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment

                • il Padrino Ute
                  Junior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 19161

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  President Monson showed up at a funeral in our ward a couple of years ago. It must have been a well-kept secret because we had a small crowd. It was kind of funny to see how some people reacted.
                  It is amusing to see faces of folks when they walk into the chapel and see a GA sitting next to the Bishop, especially those that had debated whether to attend the funeral.

                  When word spreads that a GA will be speaking at a funeral, the leak is always by a family member of the deceased.
                  "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                  "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                  Comment

                  • Jeff Lebowski
                    Corporate lackey for Jesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 69698

                    #10
                    Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                    It is amusing to see faces of folks when they walk into the chapel and see a GA sitting next to the Bishop, especially those that had debated whether to attend the funeral.

                    When word spreads that a GA will be speaking at a funeral, the leak is always by a family member of the deceased.
                    Yeah, I was pretty impressed that this particular family kept it a secret.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                    Comment

                    • venkman
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 2199

                      #11
                      Oaks spoke at our last stake conference. Didn't seem to have a larger crowd than usual.

                      It was really cool though having him. He gave a great talk and he showed a different side you don't see at GC. Very relaxed, cracking jokes, etc.
                      "Remember to double tap"

                      Comment

                      • Rx GATOS
                        Junior Member
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 47

                        #12
                        Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                        I rarely go to my own stake conference. No reason to go to another.

                        It's similar to funeral crashers when word gets out that a GA will be speaking. I've seen that many, many times.
                        The unofficial days off are stake conf., general conf., Super Bowl, traveling and kids soccer tourneys. Check your white bible they are listed in there I believe.

                        Comment

                        • The Wankster
                          It's not a tumor......
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 204

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Rx GATOS View Post
                          The unofficial days off are stake conf., general conf., Super Bowl, traveling and kids soccer tourneys. Check your white bible they are listed in there I believe.
                          Where do I get a copy of this "White Bible" you refer to, is this something you get from the Bishop?
                          Let's get on with the gettin' on....

                          Comment

                          • Donuthole
                            Official Outgayer
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 25267

                            #14
                            Originally posted by The Wankster View Post
                            Where do I get a copy of this "White Bible" you refer to, is this something you get from the Bishop?
                            You have to steal it from the waiting chapel at the temple. I guess now that I know it has some good info in it, i'll actually read it next time i'm there, instead of just pretending.
                            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                            There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                            Comment

                            Working...