John Dehlin is thinking about bringing Mormon Stories back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

The only person in my orbit who is a fan of Dehlin is someone who became disaffected with the Church over vaccines. The two things began around the same time.
    My immediate thought is that this person must be a right-winger, though five years ago I would have assumed they were a lefty. Funny how things have changed.

Comment

• John Dehlin is an asshole.
      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
        John Dehlin is an asshole.
        He really is a horrible person. I can't believe he is still a thing.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2SC4JWuQc0
          Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
          -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
          -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

You know why he is a thing. He is a thing because there are people that leave the LDS church and then need to have a replacement deity that is on the opposite side of what they left. He plays that role.
            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Speaking as one who left 5 years ago, I do not understand the dude, his podcast or why people seem to want/need it. I assume that most who leave do so after living with a lot of cognitive dissonance and simply tire of the mental gymnastics required to stick around. There seems to be a faction of those who leave who can't live outside of this state, only as Marty mentioned above, they want to be on the "new" side of the arguments that always bothered them. Sounds absolutely miserable to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                Speaking as one who left 5 years ago, I do not understand the dude, his podcast or why people seem to want/need it. I assume that most who leave do so after living with a lot of cognitive dissonance and simply tire of the mental gymnastics required to stick around. There seems to be a faction of those who leave who can't live outside of this state, only as Marty mentioned above, they want to be on the "new" side of the arguments that always bothered them. Sounds absolutely miserable to me.
                I would rather be forced to watch every conference weekend for the rest of my life than be tortured by having to go on a Mormon Stories Cruise and/or have to listen to his podcasts. That is how miserable being on that side would be.
                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post

I would rather be forced to watch every conference weekend for the rest of my life than be tortured by having to go on a Mormon Stories Cruise and/or have to listen to his podcasts. That is how miserable being on that side would be.
                  Wait, what? He does cruises?

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Wait, what? He does cruises?

I wish I was joking. I'm not.

https://www.mormonstories.org/mormonstoriescruise/

Not sure if he has done any since 2018.

Join Dr. John Dehlin for a cruise to the Bahamas in 2018! You can hang with John and other Mormon Stories listeners, spend the day at the beach, participate in optional excursions to Key West and Nassau, and attend John’s highly rated seminar — all while enjoying amazing food and soaking up the sun.

Deposit details:
                    $200 payment per person for the workshop portion of the cruise is due prior to departure. To pay and fill out the registration form click HERE

The $200 per person payment and registering through Mormon Stories will secure your spot with the workshop portion of the cruise. – To secure a specific cabin at the discounted list price you now need to put down a $100 per person deposit for the cruise.

Total cruise cost due October 1st, 2018. – this will go through Carolyn Gertsch at Cruise Planners at https://regisweb.cruiseplannersnet.com/rw/view/37867

Additional costs may include: Flights, extra night hotel stay, gratuities, drink packages, excursions off of ship.

Flights can be booked with a starting price of $400 per person round trip.

Cruise/Seminar Itinerary:

24 October – Board ship in Fort Lauderdale, depart. Introductions: 7:00pm-8:30pm. Optional group dinner at 8:30pm.

25 October – Arrive Key West and enjoy a day of excursions and exploring. Optional group dinner at 8:30pm.

26 October – Enjoy a day at sea attending a seminar with John Dehlin from 10am – noon. Then sit by the pool or enjoying some quiet down time. Optional group dinner at 8:30pm.

27 October – Arrive Nassau, Bahamas and enjoy another day of excursions, exploring or hanging out on the beach. Closing seminar from 6:30pm – 8:30pm. Optional group dinner at 8:30pm.

28 October – Disembark to Fort Lauderdale.

Seminar Topics Include:
                    • Navigating a religious faith crisis.
                    • Communicating with believing family and friends.
                    • Navigating a mixed-faith marriage.
                    • Healthy marriage/relationships/intimacy.
                    • Improving your mental and spiritual health.
                    • Finding community after a faith crisis.
                    • Raising healthy children after a faith crisis.
                    I'm guessing that Dr. Dehlin just wanted to go on a cruise so he did this so he could write it off as a business expense. Grifters gonna grift.
                    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• That is wild.

Comment

• Is it on the cruises that they had all those orgies, or was it at the conferences?
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          Is it on the cruises that they had all those orgies, or was it at the conferences?
                          That was topic no. 4.
                          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• I honestly cannot think of a worse-themed cruise. Not even getting CLE credit for sitting there being bored when you could be having fun? The FOMO would be excruciating.
                            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Are there any LDS history podcasts put there that aren't spiteful JD nonsense but also cover deep history with nuance?

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
                                Are there any LDS history podcasts put there that aren't spiteful JD nonsense but also cover deep history with nuance?
                                This one is pretty solid:

https://sunstone.org/series/sunstone-history/

I've listened to most episodes (you know me, can't leave it alone). They started around COVID times and it was rusty for awhile. But it gets better.

Mrs. NWC is a big fan. She was never a Mormon history buff but they present it in a way that is engaging and interesting.
                                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                                - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                                X