Facebook and your bishop

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • JohnnyLingo
    La Naranja
    • Nov 2008
    • 3976

    #1

    Facebook and your bishop

    Are you friends with your bishop on Facebook? My wife just got called to be the Beehives adviser, and our bishop told her to add the girls as friends on Facebook. He said he's done this with the youth in the ward and has learned a lot of stuff about their lives and how some are doing stuff they shouldn't be doing.

    1. Kids today are dumb.

    2. I have no interest in being Facebook friends with my bishop.

    Your experience?
  • RobinFinderson
    Banned
    • Nov 2008
    • 10548

    #2
    LOL! You knew what your church was when you picked it up!

    Comment

    • JohnnyLingo
      La Naranja
      • Nov 2008
      • 3976

      #3
      Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
      LOL! You knew what your church was when you picked it up!
      1. That is one of my all-time favorite things to say to people. I actually used it on my brother-in-law a couple months ago in relation to my sister.

      2. I was born into the church. I question your statement that I knew what I was getting in to.

      Comment

      • FMCoug
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 6825

        #4
        I am Facebook friends with my Bishop. To me it's not about who you're friends with or not, it's about whether or not you use Facebook. And if you work with the youth or have teenage kids, it is a great way to keep up with their lives. Plus you cant "humiliate" your teenage daughter with your own statuses (stati?) so that's a plus as well.
        "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

        Comment

        • Katy Lied
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2008
          • 9435

          #5
          I'm facebook friends with 90% of the youth in my ward, which is weird because I dont have a calling with the youth or anything. I think I picked up one and the rest all friended me.

          Anyway, I find myself telling other women in RS what their kids are up to. Odd.

          Comment

          • Art Vandelay
            Striving for mediocrity
            • Jul 2009
            • 10516

            #6
            Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
            I'm facebook friends with 90% of the youth in my ward, which is weird because I dont have a calling with the youth or anything. I think I picked up one and the rest all friended me.

            Anyway, I find myself telling other women in RS what their kids are up to. Odd.
            That is how most of the YW leaders communicate with the girls in our ward. I don't have an account and sure as heck to don't want to be-friend some of the adults in my ward. For a select few, I already know way more about their comings and goings than I would care to.

            Comment

            • falafel
              loves to talk on things
              • Mar 2009
              • 37987

              #7
              Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
              That is how most of the YW leaders communicate with the girls in our ward. I don't have an account and sure as heck to don't want to be-friend some of the adults in my ward. For a select few, I already know way more about their comings and goings than I would care to.
              But think of the fun you could have! Replying to ward members' status updates with questions about how they're handling their pornography addictions and affairs. "Bro. Johnson, I see that you've been posting on Sister Smith's wall. Remember what we discussed?"
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

              Dig your own grave, and save!

              "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

              "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

              Comment

              • Pheidippides
                Liberal Feminazi
                • Nov 2008
                • 14759

                #8
                Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                I'm facebook friends with 90% of the youth in my ward, which is weird because I dont have a calling with the youth or anything. I think I picked up one and the rest all friended me.

                Anyway, I find myself telling other women in RS what their kids are up to. Odd.
                We're a pretty young hip bunch in my ward (I'm on the slightly older end) so most of us are on facebook. I am also friends with most of the youth in the ward even though I don't have a calling with them (my wife did until recently). But their parents are also on facebook so I have nothing to report.
                Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                Comment

                • Katy Lied
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 9435

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                  I don't have an account and sure as heck to don't want to be-friend some of the adults in my ward. For a select few, I already know way more about their comings and goings shenanigans than I would care to.
                  Fixed.

                  Comment

                  • Art Vandelay
                    Striving for mediocrity
                    • Jul 2009
                    • 10516

                    #10
                    Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    I see that you've been posting on Sister Smith's wall.
                    Is that really a FB term, or you own personal euphemism (or is double entendre the correct term here. SU/Babs?)?

                    Comment

                    • RC Vikings
                      Known Heterosexual
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 8789

                      #11
                      I work to hard to keep my personal life and my church life separate. Why would I want to ruin that?

                      Comment

                      • Goatnapper'96
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 10924

                        #12
                        Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                        I work to hard to keep my personal life and my church life separate. Why would I want to ruin that?
                        An independent goat is a happy goat!
                        Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                        -General George S. Patton

                        I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                        -DOCTOR Wuap

                        Comment

                        • FMCoug
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 6825

                          #13
                          Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                          I work to hard to keep my personal life and my church life separate. Why would I want to ruin that?
                          The whole "when world's collide" thing can be a challenge on FaceBook for sure. High school friends, mission buddies, church, work, etc.
                          "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                          Comment

                          • falafel
                            loves to talk on things
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 37987

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                            Is that really a FB term, or you own personal euphemism (or is double entendre the correct term here. SU/Babs?)?
                            Yes.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                            Dig your own grave, and save!

                            "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                            "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                            Comment

                            • marsupial
                              Mississippi Queen
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 3678

                              #15
                              The bishop is my facebook friend but he already knows me for the heathen that I am so I have nothing to hide.
                              What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
                              -Teenage Dirtbag

                              Comment

                              Working...