What do you think of this Joseph Smith quote?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Sleeping in EQ
    Philosopher of Men
    • Nov 2008
    • 4188

    #1

    What do you think of this Joseph Smith quote?

    “I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him, but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet.”

    --Documentary History of theChurch, vol 6, 408–409.

    Do you agree with it? Is it pride? Please share your thoughts.
    Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 12-09-2009, 05:41 PM.
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
  • scottie
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 5247

    #2
    Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
    “I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him, but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet.”

    --Documentary History of the [Mormon] Church, vol.6, pp.408–409.

    Do you agree with it? Is it pride? Please share your thoughts.
    Do you have the date of that quote SIEQ?

    Comment

    • Colly Wolly
      Junior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 1824

      #3
      This is in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith as well I believe. There are some eye brow-raisining quotes in there for sure.

      As for this quote... comes off as overly cocky. Definitely in sharp contrast with the "quiet dignity" more characteristic of today's GAs.

      Comment

      • Jarid in Cedar
        CS Institutional Memory
        • Jun 2009
        • 13234

        #4
        Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
        “I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him, but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet.”

        --Documentary History of the [Mormon] Church, vol.6, pp.408–409.

        Do you agree with it? Is it pride? Please share your thoughts.
        Many people make this argument and credit the quote to BY et al. Few know that Joseph was the originator. I think it would change their view of that statement.

        Personally, I think it is Exhibit A regarding delusions of grandeur for some serious consideration of a Type 1 Bipolar diagnosis for JS.
        "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

        "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

        "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

        -Rick Majerus

        Comment

        • RC Vikings
          Known Heterosexual
          • Nov 2008
          • 8789

          #5
          Sounds like Joseph Smith and John Lennon had a lot in common.

          Comment

          • creekster
            It is NOT a monkey!
            • Nov 2008
            • 22661

            #6
            Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
            Sounds like Joseph Smith and John Lennon had a lot in common.
            Lol

            Excellent.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

            Comment

            • TripletDaddy
              sweet triple
              • Nov 2008
              • 58186

              #7
              I have a feeling this thread will not go over well with Indy Coug and LA Ute.

              As for the quote, it kinda has a Sec. 135 vibe to it.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

              sigpic

              Comment

              • grapevine
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2009
                • 1990

                #8
                I first heard it as a missionary in the bible belt of Florida when someone a born again stay at home dad told us that quote as he was playing baseball with his son. Thing is most of the things that anti lds people get on us for are things we do not beleive moon, sun inhabited am I giving ammu to a few people thing is they are third hand accounts that got recorded.

                I read a book called sustaining and defending faith by Bob Millett, Joseph Mcconkie and Brent Top and they mention those types of things. Longer someone has been dead better quote. If it was not for enemies I doubt we would know of htese quotes and they certianly are not church doctrine.

                Comment

                • CardiacCoug
                  вот так штука
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 11013

                  #9
                  Don't kid yourself, as far as temperament and outward confidence goes Joseph Smith was more Max Hall than Bronco Mendenhall.

                  Comment

                  • pellegrino
                    miserere me
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 12100

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                    Personally, I think it is Exhibit A regarding delusions of grandeur for some serious consideration of a Type 1 Bipolar diagnosis for JS.
                    Thank you Fawn Brodie
                    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                    Alessandro Manzoni

                    Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                    pelagius

                    Comment

                    • Jarid in Cedar
                      CS Institutional Memory
                      • Jun 2009
                      • 13234

                      #11
                      Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                      Thank you Fawn Brodie
                      I'll try not to fawn over Fawn
                      "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

                      "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

                      "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

                      -Rick Majerus

                      Comment

                      • Jarid in Cedar
                        CS Institutional Memory
                        • Jun 2009
                        • 13234

                        #12
                        Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                        Thank you Fawn Brodie
                        JS's story could be a board question if you eliminate the identifying markers. I wonder if ExUte got that question right.
                        "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

                        "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

                        "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

                        -Rick Majerus

                        Comment

                        • wuapinmon
                          Soul Plumber
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 30711

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                          JS's story could be a board question if you eliminate the identifying markers. I wonder if ExUte got that question right.
                          ZING!
                          "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                          The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                          Comment

                          • smokymountainrain
                            Impressive Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 22593

                            #14
                            The quote is silly, arrogant and unnecessary.

                            Would anybody argue that JS's comment should be defended or that he is correct?

                            Perhaps I'm missing something.
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

                            Comment

                            • Surfah
                              Where's Wallace?
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 33726

                              #15
                              That's pretty rad.
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...