Stake Conference Attendance

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Art Vandelay
    Striving for mediocrity
    • Jul 2009
    • 10516

    #16
    Originally posted by Fiyero View Post
    How many can you cram into a chapel: 300? Then how many in the cultural hall: 1000? I've never seen one with a cultural hall more than half full. Singles firesides yes, stake conferences no.
    We have 16 units in our stake. All of our stake conferences, have a packed SC and similarly full smaller outlying buildings.

    Comment

    • jay santos
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 13652

      #17
      Originally posted by Fiyero View Post
      How many can you cram into a chapel: 300? Then how many in the cultural hall: 1000? I've never seen one with a cultural hall more than half full. Singles firesides yes, stake conferences no.
      Of all the stakes I've lived in, here in Utah County, they all are run the same. A large stake center and one overfill building. Both filling the chapel all the way back to the gym both buildings. I thought this was probably typical for most stakes in Utah.

      Comment

      • RC Vikings
        Known Heterosexual
        • Nov 2008
        • 8789

        #18
        Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
        We had stake conf this weekend. It is a 2 hour drive one way to attend for my family, so not easy. We went down and I attended the afternoon priestood meeting, my wife attended the Adult Sesssion while I listened to it from the primary room and took care of the 4 little uns.
        This alone should guarantee you a direct path to heaven when you die.

        Comment

        • happyone
          Board Bookworm
          • Mar 2009
          • 5398

          #19
          We hold our SC in the old Vally Music Hall (Bountiful Regional Center) so we have nice comfortable theater seats, no folding chairs for us The only problem is that our winter conference is always Super Bowl Sunday in the afternoon, 2-4. I once asked the previous stake president ( we were in YM together) about that, and he said the date and time were assigned by Church HQ. If he had had his druthers, it would have been any other Sunday.

          I would guess there is roughly 1000 in attendance for the general session. We haven't had an apostle attend in forever so I wouldn't know what that would do for the attendence.

          I may be small, but I'm slow.

          A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

          Comment

          • Moliere
            One man.....one pie
            • Oct 2009
            • 27891

            #20
            Originally posted by byu71 View Post
            I personally feel those who get a lot out of SC should go and those that don't shouldn't feel guilty if they take a week off.
            But the fifth principle of the Gospel is to make everyone feel guilty for not living the Gospel to its fullest. Of course the sixth principle of the Gospel is to feel guilty even if no one is imposing guilt on you.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

            Comment

            • Pheidippides
              Liberal Feminazi
              • Nov 2008
              • 14759

              #21
              Originally posted by Fiyero View Post
              How many can you cram into a chapel: 300? Then how many in the cultural hall: 1000? I've never seen one with a cultural hall more than half full. Singles firesides yes, stake conferences no.
              Depends on the chapel plan. A "full" chapel plus one overflow is about 300, but only if people pack in. If we get over about 250 we have to open the second overflow - but our ward spreads out a little bit. With a ward of 450-500 (which we had before we split), we filled up all three overflows and the chapel. This is a normal sized church

              If you have a full-size cultural hall (which we don't, in our current building, but which our former stake center did) I think you can get up to around 750 to possibly 1000. Best guess based on the weekly counting I do.
              Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

              Comment

              • scandell
                Life Glitcher
                • Nov 2009
                • 236

                #22
                I have 3 kids under the age of 6. My wife and I both agree to avoid the hassle of SC for now...until our kids are a little older. Neither of us get anything from it...because the kids get so restless after and hour. I will make it up on the tail end.

                Comment

                • statman
                  Rabblerouser
                  • Aug 2009
                  • 2799

                  #23
                  Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                  Depends on the chapel plan. A "full" chapel plus one overflow is about 300, but only if people pack in. If we get over about 250 we have to open the second overflow - but our ward spreads out a little bit. With a ward of 450-500 (which we had before we split), we filled up all three overflows and the chapel. This is a normal sized church

                  If you have a full-size cultural hall (which we don't, in our current building, but which our former stake center did) I think you can get up to around 750 to possibly 1000. Best guess based on the weekly counting I do.
                  the estimates our Stake Exec Sec said they use is ~1000 for a full stake center (with full court cultural hall) and ~700 for a full auxilliary building (with 3/4 court cultural hall). They do their best to try to get an actual head count, but they end up close to the standard estimates. Our last stake conference attendance was~2400 -- a full stake center + 2 full satellite buildings. They've gotten better attendance that way than by having two different sessions with the SC + one overflow building (although you'd think it would be better with two sessions).
                  Last edited by statman; 11-16-2009, 01:30 PM.

                  Comment

                  • Pheidippides
                    Liberal Feminazi
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 14759

                    #24
                    Originally posted by statman View Post
                    the estimates our Stake Exec Sec said they use is ~1000 for a full stake center (with full court cultural hall) and ~700 for a full auxilliary building (with 3/4 court cultural hall). They do their best to try to get an actual head count, but htey end up close to the standard estimates. Our last stake conference attendance was~2400 -- a full stake center + 2 full satellite buildings. They've gotten better attendance that way than by having two different sessions with the SC + one overflow building (although you'd think it would be better with two sessions).
                    I think 750 is overly optimistic for a 3/4 court building (which is what I have). That's packing them in like sardines - unless maybe you are also counting RS/YW/Nursery overflow rooms too, in which case I might believe it.
                    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                    Comment

                    • RC Vikings
                      Known Heterosexual
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 8789

                      #25
                      I bet attendance would be better if they held a potluck dinner after.

                      Comment

                      • wuapinmon
                        Soul Plumber
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 30711

                        #26
                        Kids, distance, colds, boring lectures.

                        That's why we don't go but once a year.

                        Two ward conferences, two stake conferences, two general conferences.

                        that's six Sundays a year, and on four of those you don't take the Sacrament, which is, according to the Scriptures, the main reason we go to church.
                        "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                        The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                        Comment

                        • UtahDan
                          *
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 14496

                          #27
                          Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                          Kids, distance, colds, boring lectures.

                          That's why we don't go but once a year.

                          Two ward conferences, two stake conferences, two general conferences.

                          that's six Sundays a year, and on four of those you don't take the Sacrament, which is, according to the Scriptures, the main reason we go to church.
                          This will just enhance my marginally active bona fides, but I don't think that I have been to a stake conference since I was at BYU. So, 1994.

                          Comment

                          • Fiyero
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 5266

                            #28
                            I enjoy the Saturday evening adults-only session. I missed this year's BYU/TCU showdown for it. As for the elementary, general Sunday talks- not so much.

                            Comment

                            • JohnnyLingo
                              La Naranja
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 3976

                              #29
                              Originally posted by Fiyero View Post
                              I enjoy the Saturday evening adults-only session. I missed this year's BYU/TCU showdown for it. As for the elementary, general Sunday talks- not so much.
                              My adults-only session is smack-dab in the middle of the Air Force game.

                              Football wins. Am I going to hell?

                              Comment

                              • Art Vandelay
                                Striving for mediocrity
                                • Jul 2009
                                • 10516

                                #30
                                Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                                Am I going to hell?
                                Going? I thought you already lived in Rexburg.

                                Comment

                                Working...