Poll: Most education of a known convert

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • falafel
    loves to talk on things
    • Mar 2009
    • 37982

    #16
    Originally posted by YOhio View Post
    Here's a very thoughtful article I found linked on Times and Seasons about a Stanford undergrad who converted to the LDS church.
    I need to go meet that guy. Then I can finally respond to this poll! I just hope the guy remembers my name so that it will count.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    Dig your own grave, and save!

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

    Comment

    • Moliere
      One man.....one pie
      • Oct 2009
      • 27878

      #17
      Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
      There can be no real purpose of this poll. I thought it was an interesting question, and that is all. Obviously any one of us could know fifty converts from high school, and one convert that had a PhD, and our answer would not reflect the average reality. Who knows? I just dropped what I thought might be an interesting question to see if any interesting insight came out of hte answers. That was it. As it stands, it appears that many people have known someone who has completed a PhD before they were baptized. I think it would be interesting to hear what these people had degrees in, to see if any picture of the 'educated convert' emerges.

      This poll is sort of like an old polaroid, shot from the hip. We shake it gently and watch as an image appears. It will probably be crap, but who knows?
      To make any sort of projection on converts as a whole would obviously be wrong (I think we can all agree on this). Having been on this board a short time it is obvious to me that most of the posters are well educated and hold more than an undergraduate degree. This usually means that we associated on a daily basis with people on the same education level. Therefore your numbers will tend to skew towards the "more educated" side than you would find if you ran a similar poll on utefans.net.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

      Comment

      • Jeff Lebowski
        Corporate lackey for Jesus
        • Nov 2008
        • 69696

        #18
        Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
        There can be no real purpose of this poll. I thought it was an interesting question, and that is all.
        Think anybody will buy that?
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

        Comment

        • Slim
          Straight Out the Trailer
          • Jul 2009
          • 1007

          #19
          On a related note. I used to hear all the time that there was a positive correlation between education level and activity in the church.

          This was impressive to me until I realized something.

          I baptized a few dozen people on my mission who had a high school equivalent education or less. Most of those shortly went inactive (something that I used to feel really bad about). Those who went to Central/South American missions know what I'm talking about. I think the huge number of uneducated converts who inevitably go inactive skews this aforementioned correlation.

          Comment

          • CardiacCoug
            вот так штука
            • Nov 2008
            • 11013

            #20
            My wife's father is a highly-educated adult convert.

            It would be interesting to verify that the average educational level of a new adult LDS convert is much lower than the average final educational level of an LDS person who is born in the covenant. I have no doubt whatsoever that this is true.

            Comment

            • Jarid in Cedar
              CS Institutional Memory
              • Jun 2009
              • 13234

              #21
              Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
              My wife's father is a highly-educated adult convert.

              It would be interesting to verify that the average educational level of a new adult LDS convert is much lower than the average final educational level of an LDS person who is born in the covenant. I have no doubt whatsoever that this is true.
              Would you do that with a statistical analysis to include developed countries only? If not, then your statement is a easily correct, but misleading.
              "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

              "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

              "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

              -Rick Majerus

              Comment

              • CardiacCoug
                вот так штука
                • Nov 2008
                • 11013

                #22
                Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                Would you do that with a statistical correct to include developed countries only? If not, then your statement is a easily correct, but misleading.
                True -- you would have to correct for the fact that most of the Church's growth is in developing nations.

                I'm pretty sure that the statement would still be correct when limited to the U.S. and Europe.

                Comment

                • RobinFinderson
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 10548

                  #23
                  Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Think anybody will buy that?
                  Here are my biased hunches, laid out plain for those of you who want to see an ulterior motive in the poll:

                  I would guess that on average, the higher a person's education, the less likely they would be prone to accept the gospel.

                  I would also guess that for those people who are highly educated who are receptive to the gospel message, they are more likely to remain steadfast in the faith. Whatever it is that helps them get over cognitive dissonance is developed enough to balance out faith and the kind of reasoning that is often part of a highly educated person's life.

                  I would guess that a vast majority of people convert to Mormonism in their relative youth, and the likelihood of conversion drops significantly as one gets older. I would guess that marrying an active Mormon would be the one factor that changes everything.

                  I would guess that active members who are highly educated are far more likely to be closet apostates, though I suspect this would be far more true for members 'BitC' than for converts.

                  Of course none of these biases can be supported or refuted by the results of this poll.

                  Comment

                  • Surfah
                    Where's Wallace?
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 33726

                    #24
                    I'll see your PhD coverts and raise you all a Jewish convert.

                    (I don't know his education, but he is a Financial Planner )
                    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • il Padrino Ute
                      Junior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 19161

                      #25
                      Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                      I'll see your PhD coverts and raise you all a Jewish convert.

                      (I don't know his education, but he is a Financial Planner )
                      When I was going to mortuary school, I attended a fireside in Orange County and the speaker was a gentleman who was Jewish when he converted. I don't know what he did for a living, but it was a great fireside and he was a tremendous individual.

                      I guess this answers the SU's question, eh? If a Jew can be a Mormon, doesn't it stand to reason that a self-declared former Mormon can be Hasidic?
                      "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                      "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                      Comment

                      • LA Ute
                        Receiver of Memory
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 19512

                        #26
                        Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                        Here's a very thoughtful article I found linked on Times and Seasons about a Stanford undergrad who converted to the LDS church.
                        I liked that piece. Which goes to show that the old saying about blind squirrels and acorns is true.
                        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                        ― W.H. Auden


                        "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                        "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                        Comment

                        • LA Ute
                          Receiver of Memory
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 19512

                          #27
                          Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                          I'll see your PhD coverts and raise you all a Jewish convert.

                          (I don't know his education, but he is a Financial Planner )
                          Our last stake president is a Jewish convert. It was cool to go to his house and see his bar mitzvah photo up on the wall. Great man, an intellectual.
                          “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                          ― W.H. Auden


                          "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                          -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                          "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                          --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                          Comment

                          • Indy Coug
                            Heartless Bastard
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 18747

                            #28
                            There was a guy in a past ward that was born Jewish, became a Pentacostal minister and then joined the church. We had another Pentacostal minister convert close to the same time.
                            Everything in life is an approximation.

                            http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                            Comment

                            • wuapinmon
                              Soul Plumber
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 30711

                              #29
                              Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                              I'll see your PhD coverts and raise you all a Jewish convert.

                              (I don't know his education, but he is a Financial Planner )
                              I'll raise you a Jewish physician convert.
                              "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                              The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                              Comment

                              Working...