Primary Program

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jarid in Cedar
    CS Institutional Memory
    • Jun 2009
    • 13234

    #1

    Primary Program

    I went to church to watch our children in the Primary program.(the roof is still ok). It was fun. They all read their parts without hitch and the kids sang the songs very well. I felt bad for my 4 year old because the Sunbeams were not allowed to have a speaking part. She was crushed. Fun day overall.
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

    "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

    "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

    -Rick Majerus
  • TripletDaddy
    sweet triple
    • Nov 2008
    • 58186

    #2
    Our primary program was a lot of fun.

    We were able to get 2 of 3 up there to say their lines. The third simply refused to even walk to the pulpit. she is really shy. Afterward she told us that she was nervous because she didn't want to mess up her line. I reassured her that people say dumb things at Church all the time. My wife was not very enthused with my pep talk.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

    sigpic

    Comment

    • SCcoug
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 7625

      #3
      Ours was today too. During the songs I noticed, how could I not, one of the kids was singing yelling the songs more than is usual for a junior primary kid. After searching I found the kid. He wasn't singing for gusto or out of firm belief but rather to torment the kid in front of him who had his hands over his ears.

      Comment

      • grapevine
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2009
        • 1990

        #4
        Ours was today. ONe kid would not say his part a 4 or 5 year old so teacher literally had to say it for him. Ok songs were ok too. Though as missionary not favorite meeting to bring kids too.

        Interesting many auxilaries had htere programs and most stopped. Primary kept it up and when wanting to get rid of it the apostle Howard said they did a good job so kept it.

        Comment

        • Surfah
          Where's Wallace?
          • Nov 2008
          • 33726

          #5
          Ours was supposed to be today but unfortunately was postponed due to several illnesses amongst are little ones.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69696

            #6
            Ours was today and it had the most unintentional comedy that I can remember in a primary program. One kid stood up and said:

            "The temple is important to my family because..." (puts his hand to his chin and ponders for a minute) ... "ah heck, I have no idea."
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • il Padrino Ute
              Junior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 19161

              #7
              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Ours was today and it had the most unintentional comedy that I can remember in a primary program. One kid stood up and said:

              "The temple is important to my family because..." (puts his hand to his chin and ponders for a minute) ... "ah heck, I have no idea."
              That. Is. Awesome.
              "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


              "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

              Comment

              • happyone
                Board Bookworm
                • Mar 2009
                • 5398

                #8
                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Ours was today and it had the most unintentional comedy that I can remember in a primary program. One kid stood up and said:

                "The temple is important to my family because..." (puts his hand to his chin and ponders for a minute) ... "ah heck, I have no idea."
                That is really good.

                Ours was last week. Since our youngest is 14 I don't have a vested interest any more, but I enjoy it just the same.

                I may be small, but I'm slow.

                A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

                Comment

                • beelzebabette
                  Golf & Cubs Disrespecter
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 2907

                  #9
                  I went to watch my nephew's program yesterday. I'm a sucker. I still find watching the Sunbeams sing "Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam" as a class delightful. (According to my sister-in-law, their morning getting ready for church was serenaded with "Jesus Wants Me for a Jumping Bean." Makes about as much sense, I guess.)

                  Comment

                  • TripletDaddy
                    sweet triple
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 58186

                    #10
                    Originally posted by beelzebabette View Post
                    I went to watch my nephew's program yesterday. I'm a sucker. I still find watching the Sunbeams sing "Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam" as a class delightful. (According to my sister-in-law, their morning getting ready for church was serenaded with "Jesus Wants Me for a Jumping Bean." Makes about as much sense, I guess.)
                    Ours was yesterday, too.

                    One of my daughters has major stage fright (the other two are total extroverts) so I agreed to go sit up on the stand with her during the program. I sat in the very back row in the corner so nobody could really see me, but I was one row behind the Puffy Check.

                    Their group went first and so they had to sit still the rest of the meeting while everyone else spoke their lines. My son was misbehaving the entire time. He was the kid that stands up randomly and yells "Hi, mom," he also did a few fist pumps (not fist rolls), and he even stood up on his chair. I kept telling him to knock it off but there is only so much you can do in the middle of the program. His teachers were not doing anything, either.

                    Eventually, one of the teachers moved his seat. A little bit later, she moved it again. Finally, she asked him to go sit by me. Once he did the walk of shame to come sit next to me in the row behind him, he knew he was in big trouble. He sat down next to me and I let him know that he was being naughty.

                    I sat there quite frustrated by his inability to simply sit still and wondering why he wouldn't listen to me. All of a sudden, I received my answer. My blackberry is buzzing with a text from MMM. It reads, "turn off that iPad while you are on the stage. you are embarrassing me."

                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • Clark Addison
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 10306

                      #11
                      Ours was also yesterday. I was a little mad, because they had assigned my 11 year old a 2 minute talk, which I had taken 10 minutes out of my busy schedule to write. When we got to the church, one of the members of the Primary Presidency came over, gave my daughter a picture with some writing on the back, and told her to read it for her part. No one got to hear the sermon I wrote for her.

                      I thought about sending out some angry tweets about it, but decided it might backfire on me.

                      Also, at the end, I asked my wife why our 6 year old didn't get a speaking part. She told me that she had spoken 15 minutes earlier. I want to emphasize that I missed it because I was reading the Sunday School lesson. I was not on CUF.
                      Last edited by Clark Addison; 10-25-2010, 04:44 PM.

                      Comment

                      • scottie
                        Junior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 5247

                        #12
                        Ours was yesterday too, easily the best SM of the year for me. Does the song "Follow the Prophet!" bother anyone else here? or is it only the apostates who are uncomfortable with it?

                        Comment

                        • ERCougar
                          Junior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 10978

                          #13
                          Originally posted by scottie View Post
                          Ours was yesterday too, easily the best SM of the year for me. Does the song "Follow the Prophet!" bother anyone else here? or is it only the apostates who are uncomfortable with it?
                          My wife is the Primary chorister (and I'm the accompanist--best.job.ever.) and she's bugged by it. Unfortunately, whenever she lets the kids choose the song, they always choose it.

                          We need more songs in minor keys, because kids seem to dig them. Bring back BOM stories.
                          At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                          Comment

                          • beefytee
                            Board eye candy
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 7542

                            #14
                            Ours was yesterday.

                            It is just a Utah thing or does it happen in other parts of the country that all the relatives have to come for the program? We never invited any family when I was young. Why is it such a big deal here in Utah. We made sure to get to church a half hour early and it was a good thing we did.

                            Comment

                            • grapevine
                              Senior Member
                              • Apr 2009
                              • 1990

                              #15
                              I seen a lot of relatives yesterday at ours come for it. For me not reason for grandparents to make special trip not just for that. Now all the primary sits on the stand room. But I remember when primary got first four rows. Thing that did was upset were people sit and people that sat in back and side wound up sitting up front as there rows were taken. Used to be not big event now I seen a lot of relatives show up for it.

                              Comment

                              Working...