Originally posted by Donuthole
View Post
Premonitions
Collapse
X
-
That's the slang term. Green Lantern is correct that the medical community uses the less casual "spider" in place of "spidey."
-
I maintain that spidey sense is the correct term, and spider sense is the slang term, even if it does ring more professional. Google has my back.Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View PostThat's the slang term. Green Lantern is correct that the medical community uses the less casual "spider" in place of "spidey."Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss
There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock
Comment
-
"spidey sense" is a commonly accepted colloquialism but is by no means a more accurate term.Originally posted by Donuthole View PostHow many points would you have awarded for an accurate reference (spidey sense)? Just curious.Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...
None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.
I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.
--Portland Ute
Comment
-
-
In that case, I'm guessing you don't sway yourself very often?Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View PostGoogle is an impressive wingman, but I am more swayed by the "most people agree with me" argument.
FTR, upon further investigation, I was wrong. Spider sense is proper, even by Marvel's standards.Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss
There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock
Comment
-
-
-
Stories like this happen more often than not. A Saturday evening, after some church ball, Utah Dan and I were talking to one of our friends in the ward. He related to us that when he was little he was hit by a car. Or, rather, his head was run over by a car. We were flabbergasted and I remember stating that someone was looking out for him that day.Originally posted by SoonerCoug View PostOn the hike back to Deseret Towers (within 5 minutes of her little speech), she collapsed and died.
What is your interpretation?
He said, "Yeah. I guess I was saved for a purpose."
The following Monday, he was killed in an auto accident. Leaving behind a wife and two kids.
And how many times have we read or heard about someone's patriarchal blessing proclaiming future events... ie marriage, children, missions, ... and that person dies before those proclaimations come to pass?
I think that sometimes shit just happens due to the fact we live in a natural, imperfect world, away from God. However, being a person of any faith particularly LDS, we are taught to believe certain spiritual events are true or prophetic, ie pat. blessings.
I have a hard time trying to understand those types of juxtopositions. Most the time I just ignore them, believing "one day" it will all make perfect sense. Either that, or I get frustrated trying to figure it out. I am not a person who believes things "happen for a reason" or "maybe God called him home early because he needed him". It is fine if any of you feel that way. If it brings comfort and closure to you, the more power to ya.
For me, that view is too simplistic. Once, in a galaxy far, far, away, I was contented in thinking that way. As I have gotten older, grown, matured, I am much more of a thinker and I want things to make sense. Perhaps it is Utah Dan's cynicism that has rubbed off on me.
So I guess in answer to your question about the interpritation of the events of the 18-year-old... I don't know and I don't like knowing that I don't know.
Comment
-
In the waning years of my faith (back when I was 18) I actually used this story in sacrament talks. I did mention the different interpretations, though, and I mostly just used it as an example of faith providing comfort at difficult times.Originally posted by SuperGabers View PostSo I guess in answer to your question about the interpritation of the events of the 18-year-old... I don't know and I don't like knowing that I don't know.
Even skeptics like me sometimes rely on a little faith for comfort when life is difficult.That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens
http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug
Comment
-
One thing I learned back when I was an avid read of self help books, Og Mandino, Napolean Hill, Wayne Dyer, et. al. was that faith or belief was a critical element in what they preached. These were not religious books, but that theme ran through them. I would also say they thought faith without works was dead.Originally posted by SoonerCoug View PostIn the waning years of my faith (back when I was 18) I actually used this story in sacrament talks. I did mention the different interpretations, though, and I mostly just used it as an example of faith providing comfort at difficult times.
Even skeptics like me sometimes rely on a little faith for comfort when life is difficult.
Comment
-
So true. I guess my "little faith" is believing it will all piece together one day.Originally posted by SoonerCoug View PostIn the waning years of my faith (back when I was 18) I actually used this story in sacrament talks. I did mention the different interpretations, though, and I mostly just used it as an example of faith providing comfort at difficult times.
Even skeptics like me sometimes rely on a little faith for comfort when life is difficult.
Comment
-
Originally posted by SuperGabers View PostStories like this happen more often than not. A Saturday evening, after some church ball, Utah Dan and I were talking to one of our friends in the ward. He related to us that when he was little he was hit by a car. Or, rather, his head was run over by a car. We were flabbergasted and I remember stating that someone was looking out for him that day.
He said, "Yeah. I guess I was saved for a purpose."
The following Monday, he was killed in an auto accident. Leaving behind a wife and two kids.
And how many times have we read or heard about someone's patriarchal blessing proclaiming future events... ie marriage, children, missions, ... and that person dies before those proclaimations come to pass?
I think that sometimes shit just happens due to the fact we live in a natural, imperfect world, away from God. However, being a person of any faith particularly LDS, we are taught to believe certain spiritual events are true or prophetic, ie pat. blessings.
I have a hard time trying to understand those types of juxtopositions. Most the time I just ignore them, believing "one day" it will all make perfect sense. Either that, or I get frustrated trying to figure it out. I am not a person who believes things "happen for a reason" or "maybe God called him home early because he needed him". It is fine if any of you feel that way. If it brings comfort and closure to you, the more power to ya.
For me, that view is too simplistic. Once, in a galaxy far, far, away, I was contented in thinking that way. As I have gotten older, grown, matured, I am much more of a thinker and I want things to make sense. Perhaps it is Utah Dan's cynicism that has rubbed off on me.
So I guess in answer to your question about the interpritation of the events of the 18-year-old... I don't know and I don't like knowing that I don't know.
I really like the way you think.Just try it once. One beer or one cigarette or one porno movie won't hurt. - Dallin H. Oaks
Comment
Comment