Ham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    I'm thinking maybe they bake them with honey?
    My dad was a professional beekeeper when I was a kid. They most definitely DO NOT bake them with honey. He tried to sell to them and they told him way back when that they don't. Also, the ingredient label would say honey. It's got "honey powder"--an abomination--but no real honey:

Ham (Ham, Water, Salt, Sugar, Sodium Lactate, Sodium Diacetate, Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite), Glaze (Sugar, Dressing [Sugar, Gelatin, Paprika, Maltodextrin, Modified Food Starch, Dextrose, Honey Powder (Refinery Syrup, Honey), Spices, Natural Flavoring, Brown Sugar, Invert Sugar])
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
      My dad was a professional beekeeper when I was a kid. They most definitely DO NOT bake them with honey. He tried to sell to them and they told him way back when that they don't. Also, the ingredient label would say honey. It's got "honey powder"--an abomination--but no real honey:
      Abomination. Haha. You are too tightly wound.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I only see two ingredients. Ham and glaze.

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
          Costco hams are trash. One of the few things Costco doesn’t do well. You’d be better off buying a ham at the grocery store. Better hams and just as cheap.

But if you want a truly delicious spiral ham, I’ve yet to have one better than a Honeybaked. A bit pricey, but well worth it IMO.

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
          Its not just the crust. The actual ham slices in a HBH are much more tender than a cheaper ham. The ham almost melts in your mouth, where a cheaper ham is almost always a bit chewy.
          I haven't had a Costco ham in a long time, but 6-7 years ago they were very inferior to other store-bought hams. Hence my post above. I will say that spiral-sliced ham, generally speaking, has upped its game in the last few years. There once was a marked difference between a HBH and a store-brand spiral-sliced ham. While I can still tell the difference (HBH is still the best) the gap has closed considerably. We had a Kroger-brand spiral ham for Easter and it was excellent. Legitimately the best grocery-store spiral ham I've had.
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I'm very meh on ham but my wife decided to pick up an 8 lb Costco spiral ham and wants it for Easter. It'll be just us two adults and two kids. I'm making homemade mac n cheese, au gratin potatoes, sautéed green beans, rolls, and I guess ham. Eight lbs is way too much for us. Do I just carve up half of it, wrap in foil and bake it? I don't have a fancy smoke and throwing it in the trash isn't an option with my wife

Comment

Originally posted by USUC View Post
              I'm very meh on ham but my wife decided to pick up an 8 lb Costco spiral ham and wants it for Easter. It'll be just us two adults and two kids. I'm making homemade mac n cheese, au gratin potatoes, sautéed green beans, rolls, and I guess ham. Eight lbs is way too much for us. Do I just carve up half of it, wrap in foil and bake it? I don't have a fancy smoke and throwing it in the trash isn't an option with my wife
              You should do that thing they did in the sixties and cover it with pineapples and maraschino cherries.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post

You should do that thing they did in the sixties and cover it with pineapples and maraschino cherries.
                I like ham with a sweet glaze, but Mrs. Diddley doesn't, so it's usually at the odd funeral I get something like that.

Comment

Youtube is full of people doing that very thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

I like ham with a sweet glaze, but Mrs. Diddley doesn't, so it's usually at the odd funeral I get something like that.
                    Same dynamic with my wife, just reversed. I much prefer savory when it comes to ham. I am trying to decide if I just heat up the whole thing following the directions they give or carve half of it up. There will be leftovers if I do the whole and I'm worried it'll be dried out if we heat up the leftovers again. Oh well, my fault for not having a proactive conversation with her about the meal.

Comment

Originally posted by USUC View Post

Same dynamic with my wife, just reversed. I much prefer savory when it comes to ham. I am trying to decide if I just heat up the whole thing following the directions they give or carve half of it up. There will be leftovers if I do the whole and I'm worried it'll be dried out if we heat up the leftovers again. Oh well, my fault for not having a proactive conversation with her about the meal.
                      Ham freezes great, btw. Warm the entire thing. With the ham you don't eat, here's what you do:

30% cubed into 1/4" cubes. Great for soups, omelets, etc. This is the best way to use the part of the ham that didn't quite get sliced to the bone (and will thus come off the bone in a massive hunk)
                      70% slices into separate freezer bags of about 8-10 slices each. Freeze and pull out to use like bacon. Great for making Ham and Eggs or on breakfast sandwiches.

It will keep 3-4 months in the fridge easy, if you are just putting into ziplock freezer bags (don't use the cheap sandwich bags). If you vac seal it, it will keep for over 6 months.
                      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Ham is pretty mediocre as a main dish. It is really good as a part of things (omelets, soups, sandwiches, etc.).

Now a rum ham . . .
                        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

This looks delicious.

Comment

This looks delicious.
                            I'd eat that.

Comment

This looks delicious.

Very delicious. I don't have a smoker unfortunately.

Comment

This looks delicious.

That looks tasty, but I’d bet money that’s not as good as a spiral sliced ham. It will be tough to hand slice that thin enough to be perfect. IMO, Half of what took ham from meh to something worthy of a main dish is the spiral slicing process.

Comment

Working...
                                X