Ham

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • smokymountainrain
    Impressive Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 22593

    #16
    Originally posted by cowboy View Post
    This thread is an abomination and should be deleted immediately. I always suspected you people were a bunch of Commies.
    oh just buy some pigs already.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

    Comment

    • Pelado
      Bald not naked
      • Sep 2010
      • 21139

      #17
      147 after almost 8 hours. Going to start adding the glaze.


      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

      Comment

      • Moliere
        One man.....one pie
        • Oct 2009
        • 27880

        #18


        I’d be interested to find out how it tastes. I love ham but we just buy the Costco precooked/presliced ones, which are delish. I always figured cooking my own would just be a hassle without any added flavor.


        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

        Comment

        • Jeff Lebowski
          Corporate lackey for Jesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 69698

          #19
          Originally posted by cowboy View Post
          This thread is an abomination and should be deleted immediately. I always suspected you people were a bunch of Commies.
          Pigs are delicious!
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

          Comment

          • Pelado
            Bald not naked
            • Sep 2010
            • 21139

            #20
            About 10 hours into the cook, still going at 180 degrees. Up to 153 degrees internal temperature. Just applied another coat of the juice/honey glaze solution.

            Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

            Comment

            • Clark Addison
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 10307

              #21
              That's starting to look really good. I am not a big ham guy, but very interested to see how it turns out.

              Comment

              • Pelado
                Bald not naked
                • Sep 2010
                • 21139

                #22
                Originally posted by Moliere View Post


                I’d be interested to find out how it tastes. I love ham but we just buy the Costco precooked/presliced ones, which are delish. I always figured cooking my own would just be a hassle without any added flavor.


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                My theory is that it should taste better, but I'm also somewhat concerned that the additional effort will be for naught.

                I haven't put a lot of thought into the theory. Mostly it consists of the concept that freshly cooked meat should be tastier/juicier/etc. than meat that has been reheated.

                Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

                Comment

                • Pelado
                  Bald not naked
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 21139

                  #23
                  Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Hey pelado I have never done this but am watching with interest. Keep posting pics. What wood are you using?
                  Sorry - meant to respond to this question earlier.

                  In my early smoking days, i tried using different types of wood for different stuff, but I couldnt really tell a difference between the various woods. So now i just use what is convenient. I picked up this bag of blended pellets from a local store with more convenient hours than the place I usually go.

                  I don't see any indication on the bag what the composition of this particular blend is, but it seems like it should result in robust and flavorful food.



                  Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

                  Comment

                  • Donuthole
                    Official Outgayer
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 25268

                    #24
                    Originally posted by Moliere View Post


                    I’d be interested to find out how it tastes. I love ham but we just buy the Costco precooked/presliced ones, which are delish. I always figured cooking my own would just be a hassle without any added flavor.


                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Costco hams are trash. One of the few things Costco doesn’t do well. You’d be better off buying a ham at the grocery store. Better hams and just as cheap.

                    But if you want a truly delicious spiral ham, I’ve yet to have one better than a Honeybaked. A bit pricey, but well worth it IMO.
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                    There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                    Comment

                    • Jeff Lebowski
                      Corporate lackey for Jesus
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 69698

                      #25
                      Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                      Costco hams are trash. One of the few things Costco doesn’t do well. You’d be better off buying a ham at the grocery store. Better hams and just as cheap.

                      But if you want a truly delicious spiral ham, I’ve yet to have one better than a Honeybaked. A bit pricey, but well worth it IMO.
                      Agreed. I don't know what they do, but those honeybaked hams are great.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                      Comment

                      • BigPiney
                        Huge Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 12366

                        #26
                        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Agreed. I don't know what they do, but those honeybaked hams are great.
                        I bought a spiral ham at the grocery store once and then used a blow torch to put a crust on it. Used brown sugar and some spices. Was really good.

                        Comment

                        • BigFatMeanie
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 7114

                          #27
                          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Agreed. I don't know what they do, but those honeybaked hams are great.
                          I'm thinking maybe they bake them with honey?

                          Comment

                          • Jeff Lebowski
                            Corporate lackey for Jesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 69698

                            #28
                            Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                            I'm thinking maybe they bake them with honey?
                            Mind. Blown.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                            Comment

                            • Donuthole
                              Official Outgayer
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 25268

                              #29
                              Its not just the crust. The actual ham slices in a HBH are much more tender than a cheaper ham. The ham almost melts in your mouth, where a cheaper ham is almost always a bit chewy.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                              There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                              Comment

                              • Pelado
                                Bald not naked
                                • Sep 2010
                                • 21139

                                #30
                                I bumped up the temp to 250 for the last half hour or so to try to get the internal temp up to 160. The highest it got before i pulled it and packed it to go was 156. It was still 156 when we arrived at my sister's place for the meal. The picture below was from just before pulling it off the smoker. I should have taken a picture of the interior after cutting it up but didn't think about it until it was much too late.

                                As for the taste, I've got to say I was a bit underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, it was yummy and probably better than most other hams I've had. I'm just not sure it was good enough to justify the additional hassle. The texture at 156 was pretty much the same as I would have expected from fully cooked hams, so maybe the texture would have been fine at a bit lower temperature - like the 145 degrees recommended by amazingribs.com. Also, I think smoking for so long at 180 may have thickened the crust beyond ideal.

                                So my current thought is to plan on a shorter cook at 225, or to just get a precooked ham and reheat it.

                                Or, better yet, get prime rib.

                                Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

                                Comment

                                Working...