Quick!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick!

Do you cover the steel cut oats while they are simmering? It doesn't say so on the can but I am used to doing that with similar hot cereals?

P.S. It looks as though these will never turn into the creamy goodness I hear about.
    I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PAC

You know how President Hinckley said he doesn't worry about those who pray? The same can be said for men who are self-aware enough to know when there's a life to be lived outside of the world of video games. - Anonymous

Wow, thanks for comin' through everyone!
    I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PAC

You know how President Hinckley said he doesn't worry about those who pray? The same can be said for men who are self-aware enough to know when there's a life to be lived outside of the world of video games. - Anonymous

Comment

Yes. By all means, shut the lid on your Zojirushi.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Yes. By all means, shut the lid on your Zojirushi.
        ??? Didn't make them in a Zojirushi . . . . .

Comment

Sorry...didn't see it!

No, I don't cover them. But I'm not going for "creamy goodness". I'm going for texture. I'm not sure it matters a lot.
          At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by Gidget View Post
            ??? Didn't make them in a Zojirushi . . . . .
            That's odd. I bought one on your husband's suggestion.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              That's odd. I bought one on your husband's suggestion.
              And he did not lead you astray. I was just going old school?

Thanks ER I didn't cover them. I am eating them now and they are amazing. Off to bed so I can get up at teh butt crack of dawn and run before the menehune gets up.

Comment

The kind I have says to simmer uncovered on the directions.
                What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
                -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

JL, how do you cook them in a rice cooker? I have considered making them part of my breakfast rotation and have the Zojirushi to do it with. Do you just cook them like they were rice, or do you have to adjust the water?
                  Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                    JL, how do you cook them in a rice cooker? I have considered making them part of my breakfast rotation and have the Zojirushi to do it with. Do you just cook them like they were rice, or do you have to adjust the water?
                    I experimented with the water amounts until I found a texture we all liked. This is what I use:

1 1/4 C oats
                    3 1/2 C water
                    salt

Change to porridge setting. I always put it in the night before and use the timer to have it ready at a particular time. I am not sure how long it would take if you immediately started cooking it. Stir it up before serving.

This makes enough for about four people.

Comment

Working...
                    X