Indian Food--Please Sir, I'd Like No More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Food--Please Sir, I'd Like No More

Where would you rank Indian food among international cuisines? I'm not much of a international foodie, so I'm certain there are many countries whose fare I would find objectionable, but among the more common entries (French, Italian, English (!), Thai, Spanish, German, Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, Greek, etc.), Indian for me is currently in last place, and it's not close. I was reminded of this the other night when a client (whom I hold dear, as the people are great and the company is very well-run and among the top Indian multinationals, and I'd say this even if I didn't fear one of them might stumble upon this thread!) sent a couple of officers to meet with me. They picked the restaurant and my heart sank when I learned it was a local Indian eatery. And when I drove up to the restaurant I was plunged further into the depths of depression when I observed the restaurant's tagline, "Vegetarian Indian Restaurant." I tried to flash the Bat Signal to cowboy but neither he nor his herd came to my aid.

I'll skip the review since I can't recall a single food title, although myriad chutneys and a sauce that was apparently shipped in instantly from the surface of the sun figured prominently in the various courses. While the meal wasn't horrific, it was unsatisfying and reminded me again why I patronize Indian restaurants only under duress. At least my dining companions were very nice and the conversation was pleasant. They kept telling me how healthy each food item was, but the only apparent benefit was that I would never suffer the effects of overeating.

Anyone here rank Indian food in the upper echelons of their dining preferences?

Indian food is the biggest crapshoot of the "mainstream" international cuisines. It can be really bad, but when done right it can be amazing.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

With just a few exceptions, my Indian food experience has been limited to Bombay House in Provo. My wife and I would go there on date night pretty often and we both liked it a lot.
      "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
      "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
      This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
      "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
      "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Totally agree, PAC. Not a fan.

Comment

I have had both very good Indian food and some very bad Indian food. The good was in Canada at a place that we just trusted the owner to feed us. It ranked up there as some of the best. Of course, some of the worst food I have every tasted was also Indian. In that case the curry was so strong it wasn't even enjoyable to smell. I think the key is to get the cook to turn down the spices significantly if you are not use to that kind of food.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I love Indian food. The only bad Indian I've had is grocery store bought "heat up" type. The best Indian in Utah hands down is the Tandoori Oven in Logan. Its in a gas station. The best I've had is a place in Curry Row on Manhattan. Couldn't even tell you the name.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Not my fav, but there is some good stuff. You have to like curry or you're done before you start. Not much variety, but I like curry. The naan (flat bread) is amazing. Another downer is that a lot of food is veg. And when it's not veg, generally that means it has a little bit of chicken in it. Taking a bite of chicken curry with your naan and your red onion and garlic and chili pepper to go down with it can be a very very good bite of food.

Comment

I really like Indian food. The problem is, most Indian food literally hates my guts. Made for a very interesting three week in Mumbai a few years ago.
                A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                  Totally agree, PAC. Not a fan.
                  Same here. Anytime the norm to serve a cuisine on a buffet, beware.
                  When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                    Same here. Anytime the norm to serve a cuisine on a buffet, beware.
                    lol. So much for Chinese food then.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                      It can be really bad, but when done right it can be amazing.
                      ^this.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        lol. So much for Chinese food then.
                        Maybe that's your Norm for Chinese. Sad.
                        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Real Chinese food sucks so much balls.

Comment

Vindaloo, tikka masala, anything cooked in a Tandoori oven, saag, korma, rotis and naans in all their forms and with various dipping sauces - all delicious. Indian food rocks! Chicken and lamb are the main meats because of the whole sacred cow thing. And Santos is right. You generally need to like curry or else you're toast. All of the dishes above are basically variations of curries.

Yeah, crappy cheap vegetarian Indian buffet food sucks; however, Indian food in general ranks near the top for me.

Filipino food is in last place in my food pantheon. Hawaiian food is not too far ahead. It's like Bleh and Meh were twins at birth and became Filipino food and Hawaiian food respectively.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                              Vindaloo, tikka masala, anything cooked in a Tandoori oven, saag, korma, rotis and naans in all their forms and with various dipping sauces - all delicious. Indian food rocks! Chicken and lamb are the main meats because of the whole sacred cow thing. And Santos is right. You generally need to like curry or else you're toast. All of the dishes above are basically variations of curries.

Yeah, crappy cheap vegetarian Indian buffet food sucks; however, Indian food in general ranks near the top for me.

Filipino food is in last place in my food pantheon. Hawaiian food is not too far ahead. It's like Bleh and Meh were twins at birth and became Filipino food and Hawaiian food respectively.
                              India is so far behind Thailand on the curry scale that it's hardly worth comparing them. Indy and JL have it right, with a couple of additions:

It can be really bad, but when done right it can be amazing. However it is usually not done right.
                              I agree with you on Filipino and Hawaiian food, though. Utter crap. Seriously, that L&L has lasted as long as it has (and grown, it appears) is honestly baffling.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Working...
                              X