The RICE thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
    I find that if I rinse the rice prior to cooking, I avoid the brown layer of rice right at the bottom of the cooker. When I'm in a hurry and don't rinse it, the bottom grains of rice touching the pot will be brown and not fantastic (but not burned or inedible).Of course, I am using a $40 rice cooker, not a $300 Zojunisharanichi.
    I am down with rinsing rice. I just didn't understand why he bothered to measure out the water to rice ratio, THEN rinse a couple of times, then refill his water level prior to cooking. As Jeff Lebowski pointed out, makes no sense. I was fearful that this was some sort of insider's trick that our Japan RMs learned out in the field.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      With a good quality rice cooker and premium rice, you don't need to soak first.
      What about with a Le Crouset?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        What about with a Le Crouset?
        Try it once without soaking and try it once with soaking for 30 minutes and see which you prefer. I would not ever soak for more than 30 minutes.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

DDD, just spring for the Zojirushi. $150 ish and none of the hassle. Between oatmeal and rice, it's by far our most used appliance.
          At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
            DDD, just spring for the Zojirushi. $150 ish and none of the hassle. Between oatmeal and rice, it's by far our most used appliance.
            Is your refrigerator running?
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

3D, I've found that Tamanishiki best mimics Japanese-grown rice of all the U.S. grown short-grain rice out there. Beats the crap out of Calrose and Nishiki, which are horrid. Straight Koshihikari is still better I suppose, but the difference is not that significant to me. The best rice is Akita Komachi IMO. Little pearls of yummy.

I rinse the rice 2-3, sometimes 4 times and I don't soak it. I soaked a couple of times at someone's suggestion but I didn't see a difference.

A friend once told me rice cooked with a gas rice cooker is much better than electric. Goes to prove there are some real rice snobs out there.
              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Wanted to return and report on the Tamanishiki rice I recently purchased. It has been a hit. I have had a tough time really noting a big difference between tamanishiki and koshihikari, with the exception that the koshihikari may be a tad "sweeter" if that makes sense. But overall I might stick with Tamanishiki. We have already ripped through half a bag (we eat a lot of rice) and I'm making more tonight....golden curry, yum. My wife said she might like the koshihikari more. Either way they both seem to be really good rice.

One thing I love about the Tamanishiki....the smell of the uncooked rice in the bag. Has a really great scent to it. I kept smelling the bag and my wife told me to knock it off.

I would be interested in trying the Akita komachi rice. Is it sold in the US?

sigpic

Comment

My wife just bought a Fagor 3-in-1 rice cooker/pressure cooker/crock pot, and we cooked rice in it for the first time - very easy, no mess, and light fluffy rice.

My oldest loves rice and often cooks it for himself as a snack, but he's always done it in a small pot on the stove top and always ends up boiling the water over. This new rice cooker is going to be great.

EDIT: What am I saying - I may get the dog house, but I should still give myself credit. My wife didn't buy the rice cooker. I bought it for her as a Valentines gift.
                  "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Fellow rice snobs, don't limit your premium rice consumption to white koshikari. We typically go with basic brown short grain but recently decided to try some premium brown short grain. It is fabulous.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Fellow rice snobs, don't limit your premium rice consumption to white koshikari. We typically go with basic brown short grain but recently decided to try some premium brown short grain. It is fabulous.
                      I only eat brown rice, but sometimes have a hard time finding it. Usually I just get the stuff from the bins at Sunflower Farmers Market. Where is a good place to get good brown rice in bulk?
                      "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                        I only eat brown rice, but sometimes have a hard time finding it. Usually I just get the stuff from the bins at Sunflower Farmers Market. Where is a good place to get good brown rice in bulk?
                        I bought the bag shown above at First Oriental Market in Orem.

Comment

5.5 cup zojirushi at SLC Costco for $89.

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                            My wife just bought a Fagor 3-in-1 rice cooker/pressure cooker/crock pot, and we cooked rice in it for the first time - very easy, no mess, and light fluffy rice.

My oldest loves rice and often cooks it for himself as a snack, but he's always done it in a small pot on the stove top and always ends up boiling the water over. This new rice cooker is going to be great.

EDIT: What am I saying - I may get the dog house, but I should still give myself credit. My wife didn't buy the rice cooker. I bought it for her as a Valentines gift.
                            We got something similar as a wedding present. Decent as a rice cooker, never used as a pressure cooker, crap as a crock pot.
                            I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Went to First Oriental Market to buy more rice. Have been down with Tamanishiki for the last few purchases but this time I went with koshihikari. I probably won't be able to tell the difference but figured I would give it a try anyway. We really enjoy the tamanishiki.

I cant find anyone around here that sells akita komachi. Maybe an asian speciality store in SLC?

sigpic

Comment

My cheapo rice cooker finally bit the dust after about 30 years of service. What's the current recommendation if I only anticipate cooking rice (not really considering rolled oats, etc.)? I know some of you like your Zojirushi, but is it really worth the money?

Comment

Working...
                                X