No announcement yet.

The Official Tri-Tip thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't sear my tips on a separate grill anymore. Instead, after smoking for an hour I just crank my Traeger to high until I reach desired internal temp. It works just as well IMO.

This was my tip from last night. Just kosher salt and cracked pepper with hickory pellets. It was cooked about 5 degrees more than I prefer, but my company liked well done meat. The very middle was medium-well.

"Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

• Interesting to see the difference in smoke ring between Surfah's and GM's tips. Surfah's seem so much more pronounced. What in the smoking process would cause that? Perhaps it's just picture quality and/or lighting?
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
        Interesting to see the difference in smoke ring between Surfah's and GM's tips. Surfah's seem so much more pronounced. What in the smoking process would cause that? Perhaps it's just picture quality and/or lighting?
        It's not lighting. I am known for a red ring on my tip.

The secret is lots of smoke and the meat has to go on cold. I go straight from the fridge to the smoker.
        -Turtle
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
          It's not lighting. I am known for a red ring on my tip.

The secret is lots of smoke and the meat has to go on cold. I go straight from the fridge to the smoker.
          Yes, option #3 - Surfah is just badass.
          I'm like LeBron James.
          -mpfunk

Comment

• That probably explains it. The meat was at 59 degrees internal when I threw it on the smoker.

Surfah--what temp do you smoke it at before you crank it?
            Last edited by Green Monstah; 03-10-2014, 09:14 AM.
            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• If we're going to compare Surfah's and GM's meat, no amount of ring, bark, or creative lighting can mask how overdone Surfah's tip is. Sjbh
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                If we're going to compare Surfah's and GM's meat, no amount of ring, bark, or creative lighting can mask how overdone Surfah's tip is. Sjbh
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

• It is not hard to spot a smoke ring on tri-jerky!
                  I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

If we're going to compare Surfah's and GM's meat, no amount of ring, bark, or creative lighting can mask how overdone Surfah's tip is. Sjbh
                    Which I acknowledged already. I was cooking for company and my wife and sister in law won't eat anything that isn't beyond well done. I have to keep my brother from putting ketchup on his. Phat can confirm.
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

Comment

Which I acknowledged already. I was cooking for company and my wife and sister in law won't eat anything that isn't beyond well done. I have to keep my brother from putting ketchup on his. Phat can confirm.
                      Gross.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Which I acknowledged already.
                        5 degrees?
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• My wife ordered beef medium rare for the first time the other day. Only took me ten years to get her down from well-done, and she went through every phase of doneness for a couple year period on the way down, but lo and behold, it finally happened (strangely she was willing to try beef tartare before a medium rare steak). Surfah, you can do this. Only you can prevent overcooked cow.
                          So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                            My wife ordered beef medium rare for the first time the other day. Only took me ten years to get her down from well-done, and she went through every phase of doneness for a couple year period on the way down, but lo and behold, it finally happened (strangely she was willing to try beef tartare before a medium rare steak). Surfah, you can do this. Only you can prevent overcooked cow.
                            What is it with women and raw meat? I don't get it.

My wife and daughter always complain about how the meat isn't cooked enough when I grill steaks. I try to just ignore the complaints and serve with a pink center anyway. Yesterday I grilled NY strips and they ate it up with barely a mention.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

5 degrees?
                              Your eyeroll indicates a lack of knowledge in this area. 5 degrees is the difference between medium well and well done. 5 degrees can mean the difference between a good pork butt that can be pulled apart or not.

You're also commenting on the corner of the tip that cooks much faster and is far more done than the thick middle which is not as well done.
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                                My wife ordered beef medium rare for the first time the other day. Only took me ten years to get her down from well-done, and she went through every phase of doneness for a couple year period on the way down, but lo and behold, it finally happened (strangely she was willing to try beef tartare before a medium rare steak). Surfah, you can do this. Only you can prevent overcooked cow.
                                Gidget is much better. She used to order steak well done and then ask for A1. She can now appreciate the flavor of beef on its own and can handle some pink. Still there are times she'll cut pieces of meat and set it aside on her plate. I'll ask her what is wrong with that piece and then she usually says it just looks funny.
                                -Turtle
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X