No announcement yet.

The Pulled Pork Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• My friend dropped off a belated Christmas present this weekend. Awesome gift and very thoughtful. It was a Man Crate for the pit master:

Man Crate for the Pit Master

Not pulled pork but I did some chops tonight and basted with both of the Rufas Teague sauces. While both were great the touch of heat was superb. I recommend it highly if you're into BBQ sauces.

Comment

• So I picked up a pork shoulder at the store last night. I didn't get the typical Costco 2-pack because of my failure to properly plan. After opening this one up this morning, I found that it still has the bone in. How does that change the cook - longer, shorter, other? I'm kind of looking forward to pulling a Moliere - removing the clean bone from the slab of meat to the ohs and ahs of the adoring congregants.
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
          So I picked up a pork shoulder at the store last night. I didn't get the typical Costco 2-pack because of my failure to properly plan. After opening this one up this morning, I found that it still has the bone in. How does that change the cook - longer, shorter, other? I'm kind of looking forward to pulling a Moliere - removing the clean bone from the slab of meat to the ohs and ahs of the adoring congregants.

I have no idea if it changes the cook time...since all cook times are different. But definitely, wait until the guests are there to pull the bone out...
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• So, I was trying to cook a butt overnight, and the Traeger had gone out in the cold when I woke up. I tossed what had already been done, and started over with the other butt, which was frozen. I've got it going now at 300, it's been on for 2.5 hours.

Any ideas how to finish this up decently by the time the game starts? Any tips appreciated. I usually give myself a good 11-12 hours for these, and it's going to have to be done in 9.
            Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

• OK...I need some quick advice. I'm working low tech her--using a Weber grill. I've done a few long smokes arranging briquettes around the periphery and it's done really well, with just a few adjustments during the smoke. So since the super bowl is early, I decided to do an overnight one. I woke up at 4 and it was still going with my dome thermometer reading about 250. I couldn't find my meat thermometer but it had only been going about five hours ago I just went back to bed. When I got up this morning, the fire was out. I have no idea how long it had been out, and the meat felt warm, but not warm out. Problem is, I still can't find the thermometer, so I'm going to have to do judge doneness by probing. The meat is not probing very easily, but it's also not very warm. It has a pretty good bark. So I have a couple of questions. Do I just assume that since it's not tender now, it never reached that stage? Or is it just not tender because it's cooled off?

So I'm sticking it in the oven at 250. I'll warm it up and then see how easily it probes. Any other ideas?

Ooh. And Douger, you can do a really good complete smoke at 300 in under six hours, so you should be fine. Amazingribs agrees with me here.
              Last edited by ERCougar; 02-07-2016, 11:04 AM.
              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• I just worry about it getting too dry or not getting enough tissue breakdown so it's tough. It's up to 150 so I might bring it in when it hits 170 and put it in the oven until it hits 205.
                Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

• A couple of weeks ago I went to a BBQ place that served pulled pork with coleslaw on top of a corn cake. It was really good and I liked having pulled pork on something instead of just a sandwich or quesadilla. I had some frozen pork leftovers and tried it for dinner last night and it was a hit. Super easy. I used this recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/r...es-recipe.html

Put down your corn cake, then pork on top, then slaw or anything else you want and then drizzle with bbq sauce. Good stuff. It should look something like this:

Comment

• Is that Mac n' cheese?
                    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• The northwest section at the Idaho Center in Nampa just had Hot dogs, hamburgers on other side. They had pulled pork sandwiches. Watching Ambrose and Lapwai game guy three or four seats down from me wanted to know where I got it. Told him. He got some and said they were good. I left after halftime of Firth and West Side of that game.

Comment

• Shoot. Got a bone-in package from Sam's Club. Each button was just under 7 lbs. I thought it would take 10-12 hours to cook, so I put it on at midnight for a 5:30 dinnertime, leaving myself extra time. 9 hours later, the temp is 195, a fork turns easily, and it looks like this:

In the oven at 170 now, but have 8 hours to go until dinner. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
                          Shoot. Got a bone-in package from Sam's Club. Each button was just under 7 lbs. I thought it would take 10-12 hours to cook, so I put it on at midnight for a 5:30 dinnertime, leaving myself extra time. 9 hours later, the temp is 195, a fork turns easily, and it looks like this:

In the oven at 170 now, but have 8 hours to go until dinner. Any suggestions?

Turn it down to 160 and relax. You will be fine.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Did you foil them? If not, you should.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              Turn it down to 160 and relax. You will be fine.
                              This is a great reminder - I certainly need them - err on the side of being early always.
                              I'm like LeBron James.
                              -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Did you foil them? If not, you should.
                                During the smoke or during the resting in the oven? So far, neither.

Comment

Working...
                                X