Clear All

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post

Harry Tic would have like it.

Super mean comment.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
      When I want extra butt, this is where I go.
      Congrats Topper. Your joke is now in second place. A distant second.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Woke up at 4:30am this morning to put a butt on the WSM. The missionaries are coming over for dinner so I figured I'd give them something tasty from the smoker. Just used a rub from a local BBQ place. I had the meat on and went back to bed at 5:30. Had a little flare up around 8am when the temp got up to 290 and then came right back down. Not sure what happened but it only lasted for 10 minutes or so.

I bought the butt from Costco and totally forgot they debone the butts I'm sure it makes little difference, but I've usually preferred to have the bone in since that's just what I've always done. I should have gone to HEB to get my meat....next time I'll be sure and do that.

We also just had a Sprouts open up near our neighborhood and I visited the meat section....totally unimpressed . They have some good cuts of meat but everything is small. the largest prib is under 5 lbs and they have no pork butts or brisket. It's almost like they are thumbing their noses at Texas. HEB will remain my go to for meat.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Sprouts is for produce, nuts, granola, and a bunch of gluten-free and organic shit.

Their steaks look decent, but it's not a place for folks who want to BBQ.
          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• I had forgotten that I froze about 1/4 of the pulled pork I last made. Last night we were in a pinch time wise, and we busted it out. Not as good as on gameday, but a damn fine freezer dinner.

Comment

• Feel free to move this if there is a miscellaneous other meat thread, but I couldn't find one.

Pork tenderloin yesterday. Smoked with a homemade rub for two hours at 250, pulled at 145 internal. Delicious, cheap, and a nice option for when you decide you want to do something and it's already afternoon. I'll do more of these.
              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Does anyone have a good smoked porchetta recipe? I'd like to give that a try and there seem to be a quite a few different ways of going at it.

Comment

• Just received my Traeger. I am doing 2 Pork Butts on Memorial Day. (Is that enough for 14 adults and 20 Children?)

If I am understanding all of this correctly. After a good rub Cook the butts for 12 hours at 225 then let sit for 4-5 hours is that correct? I bought a wireless Thermometer. what do I want the internal temp to be exactly?
                  ( FYI I most likely wrote that incoherently and will be properly corrected forthwith. Thanks)

Comment

• Originally posted by Y84it View Post
                    Just received my Traeger. I am doing 2 Pork Butts on Memorial Day. (Is that enough for 14 adults and 20 Children?)

If I am understanding all of this correctly. After a good rub Cook the butts for 12 hours at 225 then let sit for 4-5 hours is that correct? I bought a wireless Thermometer. what do I want the internal temp to be exactly?
                    Whoa. Not quite that simple. First of all, where are you getting your butts? Bone-in or boneless?
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Bought from Costco so boneless.
                      ( FYI I most likely wrote that incoherently and will be properly corrected forthwith. Thanks)

Comment

• Depending on size, I'd plan for 9-12 hours of cook time. If you wrap it and/or cook at highs temp it could be less. The key is to cook it until the meat probes like butter. If it finishes early, you can put it in the oven at 180 degrees (or FTC it) for up to four hours, but I like to keep my oven/FTC period to around an hour if possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                          Depending on size, I'd plan for 9-12 hours of cook time. If you wrap it and/or cook at highs temp it could be less. The key is to cook it until the meat probes like butter. If it finishes early, you can put it in the oven at 180 degrees (or FTC it) for up to four hours, but I like to keep my oven/FTC period to around an hour if possible.
                          How will I know its done? Planning on eating around 1pm. My thoughts were put it in the smoker around 10pm the night before and check it at 6am. Pull it out around 10am-11pm let it sit in the oven till its time.

Comment

Bought from Costco so boneless.
                            OK, I do these all the time.

First of all, that should be just about right in terms of quantity.

It will take anywhere from 9-11 hrs to bring them up to final cooking temp. But you need to give yourself plenty of cushion just in case. Here is what I would recommend:

1) Apply your favorite rub liberally.

2) Get some short bamboo skewers and pin up those flappy ends where they cut out the bone. This will help prevent the butt from drying out.

3) Cook at 225 using hickory or apple pellets for about 6 hrs. The internal temp will be in the 160-170 range.

4) Pull the skewers and wrap the butts in two layers of heavy duty foil. Add a little apple juice to each if you like (optional).

5) Return the butts to the smoker and cook util they hit 195 in the thickest part. Should take around 10 hrs from when you started.

6) Carefully remove the butts from the smoker and put them on a big cookie sheet or something and put them in your oven at 170 degrees.

7) Hold the butts at this temp until you are ready to eat. Don't listen to GM, you can keep them in there for six hours or so without any problem. In fact, this will help break down the connective tissue even more.

8) Remove the butts from the oven and place in room temp at least 30-45 minutes before you are ready to eat. This is critical. As the meat cools down a bit it reabsorbs water. If you pull too soon and you will end up with dry meat.

9) Pull your butts using your hands or maybe some metal tongs. Pulling means you pull the meat into chunks. DO NOT SHRED. Shredding dries out the meat and makes it oxidize faster. Put the meat into a warmer of some kind (crock pot on low) or into a big bowl. Put the drier cuts on the bottom and the moist cuts on top. Take 1-2 cups of the drippings and pour over the meat. The meat in the bottom will absorb much of it and make tender, juicy leftovers.

Add all these times up and make sure you give yourself plenty of time. I recommend 13-15 hours total.

HAVE FUN!
                            Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 05-21-2015, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Just received my Traeger. I am doing 2 Pork Butts on Memorial Day. (Is that enough for 14 adults and 20 Children?)

Perfect! This is exactly how I would do it. Will be a snap.
                              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

How will I know its done? Planning on eating around 1pm. My thoughts were put it in the smoker around 10pm the night before and check it at 6am. Pull it out around 10am-11pm let it sit in the oven till its time.
                                10 pm start would be perfect. But set your alarm for 4 am and get up and foil them. You will have a more moist and more consistent result if you foil.

Comment

Working...
                                X