No announcement yet.

The Pulled Pork Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We hosted a ward dinner (adults only!) last Saturday and the menu included a pig cooked in a ward member's smoker/trailer (it can crank out a couple hundred tri-tips) that he pulled up to our house. Here's the dinner, along with the cook and the waiter:

It looks kind of gross, but it was delish.

BTW, this report probably doesn't belong here but I didn't want to start a separate thread. Besides, it was pork and I pulled it from the smoker. Speaking of which, as we did so our next door neighbor, a kindly Asian woman, walked by and was stunned at the sight of the pig emerging from the smoker. "What's going on?", she asked. I told her this was for a church activity. She still looked puzzled and I explained it was one of our many satanic rituals. That seemed to make more sense to her.

Comment

• So my consolation prize for not being able to go to the game is that I get to use the smoker for dinner tomorrow

uploadfromtaptalk1379746464910.jpg

Should be perfect for 5 pm.
      "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

• Just bought some cooking twine in prep for my smoke tonight/early tomorrow morning. Cooking 4 shoulders, which I know is child's play compared to some of these gargantuan meat fests that Drunk Tank posts here. 6PM serve time but thinking that I should give myself a little extra pad to offset the extra meat in the smoker.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          Just bought some cooking twine in prep for my smoke tonight/early tomorrow morning. Cooking 4 shoulders, which I know is child's play compared to some of these gargantuan meat fests that Drunk Tank posts here. 6PM serve time but thinking that I should give myself a little extra pad to offset the extra meat in the smoker.
          I'm doing one on Saturday. I've always done bone-in but snagged one of the shoulders from costco. It's bigger than I'm used to so we will see how it goes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
            I'm doing one on Saturday. I've always done bone-in but snagged one of the shoulders from costco. It's bigger than I'm used to so we will see how it goes.
            I just got home with two two-packs. One weighs 17 lbs and the other 16 lbs.

You will notice that since Costco debones the shoulder, you are left with some portions of meat flaps where the bone used to be. Make sure you don't let those suckers just hang loose or else they will dry out. I bought cooking twine to secure the shoulder into a ball much like it is inside the cryovac.

Also my experience has been that Deboned cooks faster but that also varies from shoulder to shoulder.

Im excited. Should be good.

sigpic

Comment

Just bought some cooking twine in prep for my smoke tonight/early tomorrow morning. Cooking 4 shoulders, which I know is child's play compared to some of these gargantuan meat fests that Drunk Tank posts here. 6PM serve time but thinking that I should give myself a little extra pad to offset the extra meat in the smoker.
              What do you use the twine for?

Edit: NM. Just read.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Must be something in the air. Just got home from Sam's Club with two boners, 12 lbs total.
                "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                  Must be something in the air. Just got home from Sam's Club with two boners, 12 lbs total.
                  That's impressive.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    That's impressive.
                    No complaints at my house.
                    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• 4 butts into the smoker at 1am. 225.

Im sleepy. Goodnight, pork butts. Stay warm on this chilly night.

sigpic

Comment

• Morning, fellow buttheads!

530am and butts are at a fairly consistent 170. Time to start moppin and soppin.

sigpic

Comment

Morning, fellow buttheads!

530am and butts are at a fairly consistent 170. Time to start moppin and soppin.
                          Pics or it didn't happen!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                            Pics or it didn't happen!
                            Oh, it's happening! I also have a hot spot in my smoker. Need to adjust my butts...

sigpic

Comment

• Mmmm.
                              "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Oh, it's happening! I also have a hot spot in my smoker. Need to adjust my butts...
                                Wow. Does that happen on all of your cooks?

I have noticed that my smoker is hotter at the back where the hot air comes up, but no difference side to side.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X