Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    what about neck meat stew recipes?
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by camleish View Post
      what about neck meat stew recipes?
      In a prime rib thread
      I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

kccougar, popovers are essentially yorkshire puddings made without the fat. In fact, they are made almost the exact same way and don't look all the dissimilar. And you are right...one of the drawbacks of both is blandness. The recent popover recipe I posted has a nice gruyere mixed into it, giving it a great flavor. A good yorkshire with gravy can be very tasty. In your pic of the place setting, is that gold thing one of those gift popper deals? That is also very UK (often made with toilet paper rolls here in the US).
        Yes, Christmas Crackers are another UK tradition that SIL brought to the party. While my daughter found a pretty cool pirate eye patch in her cracker, I got stuck with a lame oversized paperclip.
        "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• Originally posted by camleish View Post
          anyone have a good crockpot roast recipe?
          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• I did the prime rib, and it looked great and tasted just fine. I will post some pictures of it later.

Here is what I don't get though...I don't like fatty cuts of meat. My slice of prime rib, once I cut/trimmed all of the fat off, ended up only being about 40% edible.

Do you all eat the fat?

Flavor was nice...but 80$ for a roast, to throw half of it away has me scratching my head.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
              I did the prime rib, and it looked great and tasted just fine. I will post some pictures of it later.

Here is what I don't get though...I don't like fatty cuts of meat. My slice of prime rib, once I cut/trimmed all of the fat off, ended up only being about 40% edible.

Do you all eat the fat?

Flavor was nice...but 80$ for a roast, to throw half of it away has me scratching my head.
              No, you don't eat the fat unless you are a dog or maybe a feral child.

once you cut off all the fat, it should be 100% edible. Prior to cutting off the fat, obviously the entire roast will not be edible. All of that fat is what gives the meat its fantastic flavor and tenderness. No muscles or tendons to toughen up the meat.

Even with the inherent fat contained in the rib roast, it would be rare (swish!) for half or the majority of it to be interior fat.

It is a costly cut, unfortunately. No way around that one. I wish.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

No, you don't eat the fat unless you are a dog or maybe a feral child.

once you cut off all the fat, it should be 100% edible. Prior to cutting off the fat, obviously the entire roast will not be edible. All of that fat is what gives the meat its fantastic flavor and tenderness. No muscles or tendons to toughen up the meat.

Even with the inherent fat contained in the rib roast, it would be rare (swish!) for half or the majority of it to be interior fat.

It is a costly cut, unfortunately. No way around that one. I wish.
                It was 100% edible after I trimmed it down. But I would say after getting rid of the fat, you only have maybe 60% of the cut that you used to.

And trust me...I have seen folks clean the plate. Gross.

Comment

No muscles or tendons to toughen up the meat.
                  What exactly is meat made of?
                  "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                    What exactly is meat made of?
                    I think he meant connective tissue. His heart was in the right place.
                    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
                      I think he meant connective tissue. His heart was in the right place.
                      thank you. San Juan Sun is here mostly to troll others, apparently.
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                        I did the prime rib, and it looked great and tasted just fine. I will post some pictures of it later.

Do you all eat the fat?

If a rib roast is too fatty, try a loin roast - it is the piece of meat they cut New York Strip stakes from. It is also cheaper - the one I got was $2.00/lb cheaper. It is not quite as flavorful as the rib roast, but it is tasty It is quite a bit leaner than the rib roast - I roasted an 8 lb piece of meat and barely got enough drippings for my Yorkshire pudding.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

thank you. San Juan Sun is here mostly to troll others, apparently.
                          This thread has held my interest for a while, the prime rib many are making, the creamed corn, and the popovers are all really appetizing. It gives me hope that i moght one day make these things. Actually this thread has prompted me to price smokers and consider giving prime rib a try on New Years Eve (the in laws usually do king crab legs that night). It was confusing to me that a main player in this thread would talk about muscles toughening up meat.
                          "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• Sportscenter reporting that the Wisconsin and Oregon football teams put away over 1300 pounds of prime rib over the past holiday.
                            "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• My Beef Wellington from tonight - I promise there is a tenderloin medallion in each of those. Unfortunately, I got distracted at plating time and forgot to take a picture of one sliced open.

"It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• Wow KC, those look great. Were they easy to make?
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X