3-2-1 method for smoked ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
    That's a nice looking slicer. My wife got me a Waring Pro 7.5" slicer for Christmas a couple of years ago. Not as nice as yours, but it's fine for what I need. I only use it once in a while to slice my sukiyaki meat. I could never get a butcher to do it the way I like, both in thickness and in trimming the fat, so I do it myself.
    What cut of meat do you like to use for your sukiyaki?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      What cut of meat do you like to use for your sukiyaki?
      New York steak works well. I slice off almost all the fat and cut off the connective tissue. This might gag the purists who never freeze anything, but to get good slices, I put the meat in the freezer until it's almost solid. That gives me nice even slices and is easier to work through the slicer. Otherwise, the meat tends to bunch up into uneven slices and is difficult to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
        New York steak works well. I slice off almost all the fat and cut off the connective tissue. This might gag the purists who never freeze anything, but to get good slices, I put the meat in the freezer until it's almost solid. That gives me nice even slices and is easier to work through the slicer. Otherwise, the meat tends to bunch up into uneven slices and is difficult to work with.
        All the shabu shabu houses in J-town do it that way. They keep the meat chilled, not necessarily frozen, and pull it out and slice it when you sit down and order. So you are not alone. Little Tokyo agrees with you!
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

I'm going to try this method tomorrow. One thing, has anybody gotten ribs from Costco with the membranes already removed? These seemed that way so I just rubbed as is .. guess we'll see.
          "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
            I'm going to try this method tomorrow. One thing, has anybody gotten ribs from Costco with the membranes already removed? These seemed that way so I just rubbed as is .. guess we'll see.
            Yes. Costco pulls the membrane before packaging
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Yes. Costco pulls the membrane before packaging
              Good to know. And I know where I'm getting all my ribs from now on. The membranes are the PITA that makes me not want to do ribs.
              "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

I smoked some baby backs today. Turned out really well! I used John Henry's Cherry Chipotle rub and smoked the ribs at 240ish. No foil, no 3-2-1. Just smoked them until they passed the bend test. I glazed them with a mix of Sweet Baby Rays, rub, and about 2 TBS of wild sage honey I got from the farmers market. The taste was awesome, somewhat of a sweet-heat to them. You could definately taste all the different flavors, the rub, honey, etc... Everyone raved about them! One of the best few racks of ribs I have done. Not fall off the bone, but would pull clean from the bone with just a little pull. Total cook time was a little over 5 hours.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Shwing!

Looks fantastic, DT.

Comment

Last night scanning Netflix I found Pitmasters. Not sure why I never heard about that show. I have completed the first season. Now I want to try the Johnny Trigg recipe. I've searched the internet for his recipe. I think I can come close. He foils and I've never had much success with foiling during the cook.
                    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
                      Last night scanning Netflix I found Pitmasters. Not sure why I never heard about that show. I have completed the first season. Now I want to try the Johnny Trigg recipe. I've searched the internet for his recipe. I think I can come close. He foils and I've never had much success with foiling during the cook.
                      Ah the Godfather. The Saturday before the super bowl A&E had a Pitmasters marathon. After having it on all day my wife made me buy a rack of ribs for the next day. Since I have no smoker I did oven and finished off on the grill. I really need to get a smoker.

Comment

Picked up two packs of baby backs at costco to do today. Rubbed them last night and when I took them out to put them on, 3 of the racks looked like this.

They smell fine ... thoughts?

Comment

Whoa. I have never seen anything like that, FM.

Comment

This reminds me of those white eggs Jeff Lebowski found in his costco prime rib.
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              This reminds me of those white eggs Jeff Lebowski found in his costco prime rib.
                              Touché. Except I knew exactly what they were.

FM, if I were you I would cut those parts off.

Comment

Touché. Except I knew exactly what they were.

FM, if I were you I would cut those parts off.
                                Ah, yeah.
                                I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Working...
                                X