X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
    We also do yakisoba with brisket. Yum.
    Nice! Also great on ramen.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• lebowski is the 160* hold stage unfoiled or foiled (i.e., re wrapped after unwrapping to stop cooking)?
      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
        lebowski is the 160* hold stage unfoiled or foiled (i.e., re wrapped after unwrapping to stop cooking)?
        Yeah, that's how I do it. Foil it after bringing the temp down.

Comment

lebowski is the 160* hold stage unfoiled or foiled (i.e., re wrapped after unwrapping to stop cooking)?
          Foiled!
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• thanks brahs. turned out a little on the tough side, but is good chopped + sauced. i had to pull from the oven around 188* (was barely over 12lbs, so thought it would be fine) and am guessing some extra time up to about 195* followed by holding for significantly longer would have been very helpful.

Comment

thanks brahs. turned out a little on the tough side, but is good chopped + sauced. i had to pull from the oven around 188* (was barely over 12lbs, so thought it would be fine) and am guessing some extra time up to about 195* followed by holding for significantly longer would have been very helpful.
              The first one I ever cooked was similar. I learned my lesson about cooking around church meetings.

Comment

thanks brahs. turned out a little on the tough side, but is good chopped + sauced. i had to pull from the oven around 188* (was barely over 12lbs, so thought it would be fine) and am guessing some extra time up to about 195* followed by holding for significantly longer would have been very helpful.
                I think that's probably right. If I've learned anything from cooking brisket it's to give more time than you think you need-- a lot more. 12-14 hours is usually what you need to cook, but these days if I need to have dinner ready at a set time I'm putting the brisket in up to 18 hours beforehand. No one will tell you that is how much time you need-- not even me-- but you almost never hurt the end product by holding it for longer periods of time (and that may even help).
                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                  I think that's probably right. If I've learned anything from cooking brisket it's to give more time than you think you need-- a lot more. 12-14 hours is usually what you need to cook, but these days if I need to have dinner ready at a set time I'm putting the brisket in up to 18 hours beforehand. No one will tell you that is how much time you need-- not even me-- but you almost never hurt the end product by holding it for longer periods of time (and that may even help).
                  that's good to know. i took it out from the 160* hold period after ~90 mins because it was 11:30pm, but considered leaving it in until 6:30 the next morning. probably should have done that.

Comment

Yeah, 188 is too low for brisket. And you can hold for a really long time without a problem.

Comment

• think it would have been fine to hold for 8 ish hours in the oven at160?

Comment

think it would have been fine to hold for 8 ish hours in the oven at160?
                        Yes. Restaurants do this all the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Yes. Restaurants do this all the time.
                          For catering jobs I start my briskets 36 hours in advance to serving. With huge amounts of meat, things can get funky during a cook and mess the entire job up. I have three big warming cabinets that holds at 180 degrees. I have them rest in that for up to 18 hours. Works great. Not competition brisket, but very tender and great flavor. Does well on a catered plate.
                          A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• when the aliens pore over the records of humanity millenia after its extinction, the scholarship done on this chatblog will be a beacon of hope, scientific rigor and brotherly love

Comment

• *goosebumps*

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
                                For catering jobs I start my briskets 36 hours in advance to serving. With huge amounts of meat, things can get funky during a cook and mess the entire job up. I have three big warming cabinets that holds at 180 degrees. I have them rest in that for up to 18 hours. Works great. Not competition brisket, but very tender and great flavor. Does well on a catered plate.
                                I have shared this story before, but I toured the pits and Blacks BBQ in Austin once. Briskets as far as the eye could see and they looked like they were almost done. They told me it was all for the next day.

Comment

Working...
                                X