X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    Weekend project:

[ATTACH]10373[/ATTACH]

Is this a good price? Harmon's was double the price and the label didn't even say if it was prime or not.

The previous attempt was my first ever brisket and it was a fail. I overcooked it. It turned out more like pot roast than brisket.
    That is a good price.

Follow these directions carefully and I guarantee you will end up with an excellent result:

https://thebbqdude.com/2016/04/03/norms-brisket/

In particular, stop cooking at 195 and take off the foil and let it sit for 15 minutes so that is does not get any hotter. Then cover and hold it at 160 degrees for up to several hours.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      That is a good price.

Follow these directions carefully and I guarantee you will end up with an excellent result:

https://thebbqdude.com/2016/04/03/norms-brisket/

In particular, stop cooking at 195 and take off the foil and let it sit for 15 minutes so that is does not get any hotter. Then cover and hold it at 160 degrees for up to several hours.
      I attempted to follow those very directions last time but I may have been, well, less than careful. I screwed up on the timing and holding stage. The brisket was in the oven and hit 195 around 2:00 a.m. I was lazy and decided not to take the brisket out. Didn't take off the foil either. I opened the oven door and sat there for a few minutes in front of the open door (maybe only 1 or 2 minutes) then thought, "that should be good" and closed the door and set the temp to 170 and went back to bed. The next day, pot roast.

Comment

I attempted to follow those very directions last time but I may have been, well, less than careful. I screwed up on the timing and holding stage. The brisket was in the oven and hit 195 around 2:00 a.m. I was lazy and decided not to take the brisket out. Didn't take off the foil either. I opened the oven door and sat there for a few minutes in front of the open door (maybe only 1 or 2 minutes) then thought, "that should be good" and closed the door and set the temp to 170 and went back to bed. The next day, pot roast.
        Oh yeah, you have to take it out and unfoil it and open the oven door and turn the oven off for 15 minutes. Otherwise it just keeps on cooking and you get mush.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Weekend project:

[ATTACH]10373[/ATTACH]

Is this a good price? Harmon's was double the price and the label didn't even say if it was prime or not.

The previous attempt was my first ever brisket and it was a fail. I overcooked it. It turned out more like pot roast than brisket.

Edit: Dang Vbulletin and their inability to automatically detect a picture rotation
          Good price

Comment

• I find it hard to get the fat and silverskin off without feeling like I’m taking off too much meat.
            Also seems tricky to get the fat to be even depth on the fatty side without mangling everything.

Anyone have any tips or techniques for those two operations?
            Also, is it easier to trim the meat when it’s fridge temperature or room temp?

EDIT: Youtube tells me that it's easier to trim when the meat is cold.
            Last edited by BigFatMeanie; 07-25-2020, 11:18 PM.

Comment

I find it hard to get the fat and silverskin off without feeling like I’m taking off too much meat.
              Also seems tricky to get the fat to be even depth on the fatty side without mangling everything.

Same here.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I find it hard to get the fat and silverskin off without feeling like I’m taking off too much meat.

Here is the trick: Don't worry if you miss some of the silver skin or if your fat isn't uniformly thick on the other side. It will all work out fine.

Comment

• I was just thinking last night that I should either send my Cutco knives in to be resharpened, or get a better knife for trimming brisket. The fat on the top cap is always tougher to cut through. I kind of fold the fat in my hand to feel how thick that a part of the fat is. I get some of the more obvious silver skin, but that's never been an issue with the final product.

Comment

Definitely easier to trim when it's cold. I use an 8" Victorinox boning knife, like this one, and sharpen it every other time I use it. It makes a big difference to have it as sharp as you can get it. As for silverskin, I can usually slide the point of this knife just under the silverskin and make a nice long cut, just skimming the silverskin off as I go. Watch one of Franklin's videos, or maybe the Bearded Butchers, and see how easily a sharp knife slices through everything.

Comment

• So this brisket turned out much better than the last one. There were still some issues but at least I didn’t turn it into pot roast.

The thinnest part of the flat was too dry but as I started cutting and got into the thicker part it was moist. I was encouraged by the results.

Comment

• For the record, roast beef sandwiches made from left-over brisket are pretty dang good.

Comment

For the record, roast beef sandwiches made from left-over brisket are pretty dang good.
                          Brisket enchiladas are a favorite in our home.

Comment

Recipe suggestions?

Comment

Recipe suggestions?
                              Super easy. Here you go. You can use red or green sauce of course. We prefer green. We have used flour tortillas in a pinch. Sometimes we add a few sliced olives.

============

Brisket Enchiladas

Ingredients

Leftover smoked briskets
                              10 yellow corn tortillas
                              1 28 oz can of enchilada sauce
                              chopped white onions
                              Sharp cheddar

Directions

Cut brisket in chunks. Add some brisket, cheese, onions, and sauce to a tortilla, roll it up and place in a 9x13 pan. Repeat until pan is full - make sure you reserve some of the sauce (about 1/2 can). Once the pan is full, add the remaining sauce and top with more cheddar. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

Comment

We also do yakisoba with brisket. Yum.

Comment

Working...
                                X