The Official Brisket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
    After speaking to him about it, I converted. I like butcher paper way better than foil. Way way way better.
    Three "ways"? Wow.

I tried paper a couple of times. Couldn't detect any difference.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Three "ways"? Wow.

I tried paper a couple of times. Couldn't detect any difference.
      By far my worst brisket was the Texas BBQ. But when I do one or two it has turned out significantly better than foiled. I think it may have to do with the rub though. I use a wet rub on brisket and want it to tighten through the cook. Paper gets that much better over foil.
      A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
        By far my worst brisket was the Texas BBQ. But when I do one or two it has turned out significantly better than foiled. I think it may have to do with the rub though. I use a wet rub on brisket and want it to tighten through the cook. Paper gets that much better over foil.
        What do you mean by "tighten"?

And where do you buy your butcher paper?
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• im more interested in what the first place winner was using
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Briskets went onto the smoker @ 9AM. 180°F. Plan on leaving them there for 1.5-2 hours then bump the temp to 300. The briskets trimmed to 11.48, 15.3 and 14.55 lbs. Rubbed with Black Ops.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• Interesting article on wrapping briskets:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/im...apping-brisket

Comment

• Think I might give paper another shot sometime.

CJF/DT: Do you think this paper would work?

http://www.amazon.com/Pacon-5850-Kra...pr_product_top

Comment

• Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                  Briskets went onto the smoker @ 9AM. 180°F. Plan on leaving them there for 1.5-2 hours then bump the temp to 300. The briskets trimmed to 11.48, 15.3 and 14.55 lbs. Rubbed with Black Ops.
                  I notice you didn't remove the wedge of fat from the side. Do you ever do that?

Post some pics of the final product later today, por favor.

Comment

I notice you didn't remove the wedge of fat from the side. Do you ever do that?

Post some pics of the final product later today, por favor.
                    I trimmed some of it. I was trying to trim as little as possible, and I was in a bit of a hurry bcz I woke up late.
                    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Think I might give paper another shot sometime.

CJF/DT: Do you think this paper would work?

http://www.amazon.com/Pacon-5850-Kra...pr_product_top
                      That is heavier and more porous than butcher paper. I'd look at this. http://www.webstaurantstore.com/24-x.../43324TAR.html
                      Last edited by Drunk Tank; 08-01-2014, 10:11 AM. Reason: Changed link to a better deal...

Comment

That is heavier and more porous than butcher paper. I'd look at this. http://www.amazon.com/Boardwalk-B244...ZTW9PP0G08HPEA
                        Gotcha. I see it comes in various widths. What width do you like to use?

Comment

Gotcha. I see it comes in various widths. What width do you like to use?
                          I got an 18" roll from Sams Club and wish I would have ordered a 24" roll. Franklin uses 18" Pink butcher paper from ABCO in Austin.

Comment

I got an 18" roll from Sams Club and wish I would have ordered a 24" roll. Franklin uses 18" Pink butcher paper from ABCO in Austin.
                            Do you use two sheets like this?

http://texasbbqposse.blogspot.com/20...ket-posse.html

I am wondering if you could get away with a single sheet width with the 30-in roll. Maybe not.

Comment

Do you use two sheets like this?

http://texasbbqposse.blogspot.com/20...ket-posse.html

I am wondering if you could get away with a single sheet width with the 30-in roll. Maybe not.
                              I read that last night infact, and I was planning on giving it a try.

This seems like a good deal.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/24-x.../43324TAR.html

They also have a 30" roll

Comment

• Video of Aaron Franklin wrapping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIlyzRFUjU

Yes, he overlaps two sheets. Geez, he makes that look easy.

Be sure to watch him slicing at the end. Looks incredible.

Comment

Working...
                                X