Tulie Bakery

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Mrs. Funk
    Lawyer Wannabe
    • Nov 2008
    • 2690

    #1

    Tulie Bakery

    Perhaps we just need to compress my various random threads about Utah bakeries into one. But Tulie deserves its own thread.

    Ohmigosh. I think we have to stay in Utah forever now. I have found a worthy pain au chocolat.

    Tulie is small and specialized. It's not Gourmandise with the gigantic display cases and a basquillion desserts. Tulie is a bakery with primarily pastries and warm beverages (the Special Drinking Chocolate or whatever it was called is very dark and lovely). The pate au choux is airy and buttery and delightful and perfect—I'm willing to say the best or at least way up there in the realm of the pain au chocolat I've imbibed stateside.

    It's a bit out of the way, but I would say worth the trip. Now the real question is whether I'm a nice enough wife to leave some of this scrumptiousness for Mpfunk . . .

    Tulie Bakery
    863 East 700 South
    Salt Lake City, Ut 84102
    "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge
  • Mrs. Funk
    Lawyer Wannabe
    • Nov 2008
    • 2690

    #2
    This is depressing. What is the world coming to? I post about amazing pain au chocolat, and ya'll would rather yammer on about quasi-Mexican food chains.

    I'm taking my business elsewhere.
    "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

    Comment

    • TripletDaddy
      sweet triple
      • Nov 2008
      • 58186

      #3
      Originally posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
      Perhaps we just need to compress my various random threads about Utah bakeries into one. But Tulie deserves its own thread.

      Ohmigosh. I think we have to stay in Utah forever now. I have found a worthy pain au chocolat.

      Tulie is small and specialized. It's not Gourmandise with the gigantic display cases and a basquillion desserts. Tulie is a bakery with primarily pastries and warm beverages (the Special Drinking Chocolate or whatever it was called is very dark and lovely). The pate au choux is airy and buttery and delightful and perfect—I'm willing to say the best or at least way up there in the realm of the pain au chocolat I've imbibed stateside.

      It's a bit out of the way, but I would say worth the trip. Now the real question is whether I'm a nice enough wife to leave some of this scrumptiousness for Mpfunk . . .

      Tulie Bakery
      863 East 700 South
      Salt Lake City, Ut 84102
      If you really want authentic ethnic cuisine, it is actually more reason to NOT live in Utah forever. Move to a bigger city and you will have more luck finding better food with more of a variety.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

      sigpic

      Comment

      • Mrs. Funk
        Lawyer Wannabe
        • Nov 2008
        • 2690

        #4
        Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        If you really want authentic ethnic cuisine, it is actually more reason to NOT live in Utah forever. Move to a bigger city and you will have more luck finding better food with more of a variety.
        It's true. But these were very tasty nonetheless.
        "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

        Comment

        • TripletDaddy
          sweet triple
          • Nov 2008
          • 58186

          #5
          Originally posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
          It's true. But these were very tasty nonetheless.
          They sound good. Maybe I will pick some up tomorrow and bring them home for the clan.

          Do they keep well over the course of an hour or so are do you have to eat them right them and there out of the oven?
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

          sigpic

          Comment

          • Mrs. Funk
            Lawyer Wannabe
            • Nov 2008
            • 2690

            #6
            Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
            They sound good. Maybe I will pick some up tomorrow and bring them home for the clan.

            Do they keep well over the course of an hour or so are do you have to eat them right them and there out of the oven?
            I purchased mine midday, so they obviously weren't right out of the oven. I would say as long as you wait to heat up (should you choose to do so) a pain au chocolat or other pastry until you get home, you'll be fine.
            "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

            Comment

            • hostile
              lollygagger
              • Dec 2009
              • 5736

              #7
              Originally posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
              This is depressing. What is the world coming to? I post about amazing pain au chocolat, and ya'll would rather yammer on about quasi-Mexican food chains.

              I'm taking my business elsewhere.
              I just saw this. I need to get down there. I haven't had a good pain au chocolat for too long. Most places just put semisweet chocolate chips in some dough and call it good.
              "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

              "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

              Comment

              • Eddie
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2009
                • 8098

                #8
                Originally posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
                This is depressing. What is the world coming to? I post about amazing pain au chocolat, and ya'll would rather yammer on about quasi-Mexican food chains.

                I'm taking my business elsewhere.

                I didn't know how to respond because I have no idea what a pain au chocolat is.

                But in the spirit of contributing to your thread - the local Dick's Market makes some pretty good ranger cookies. And WalMart makes this croissant-like pastry thing that they dip in donut glaze that I like...

                Comment

                • Mrs. Funk
                  Lawyer Wannabe
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 2690

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                  I didn't know how to respond because I have no idea what a pain au chocolat is.

                  But in the spirit of contributing to your thread - the local Dick's Market makes some pretty good ranger cookies. And WalMart makes this croissant-like pastry thing that they dip in donut glaze that I like...

                  Croissant dough (pate a choux) with chocolate! Think the buttery, flaky goodness of a croissant with chocolate.
                  "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

                  Comment

                  • TripletDaddy
                    sweet triple
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 58186

                    #10
                    what other things do they do well that are not stuffed with chocolate? Do they have any fruit filled pastries?
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • Mrs. Funk
                      Lawyer Wannabe
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 2690

                      #11
                      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                      what other things do they do well that are not stuffed with chocolate? Do they have any fruit filled pastries?
                      They have a frangipane croissant, which has an almond/marzipan-ish filling. No fruit-filled pastries from what I could see.

                      This Wednesday was my first visit, so I can't attest to the rest of their menu. The display case certainly looked tempting, though.
                      "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

                      Comment

                      • Green Lantern
                        Has overcome great fear
                        • Aug 2009
                        • 2289

                        #12
                        We stopped by here after the St. Patrick's Day parade last week and thought it was fantastic. I tried that frangipane croissant and thought it was just about perfect.
                        Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

                        None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

                        I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

                        --Portland Ute

                        Comment

                        • Mrs. Funk
                          Lawyer Wannabe
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 2690

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Green Lantern View Post
                          We stopped by here after the St. Patrick's Day parade last week and thought it was fantastic. I tried that frangipane croissant and thought it was just about perfect.
                          Awesome!
                          "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

                          Comment

                          • NorthwestUteFan
                            אלוף
                            • Oct 2010
                            • 3384

                            #14
                            When I lived in New England I would stop in this quaint little bakery from time to time when I was in the area for business. They had a sweet roasted garlic boule and a fougasse that were about the closest thing to heaven I have ever experienced. I have yet to find a comparable locally, but I am sure it is out there.

                            Here is the 'elephant ear' fougasse. Sometimes at work I would buy a loaf to share, hwile others would bring in exotic cheeses or meats. Good times!



                            I will be in Utahr in a few weeks and want to hit a few of the better places mentioned here. (And my old favorite Siegfried's Deli, of course.)

                            Has anybody tried some of the more exotic non-dessert breads, etc, at Tulie's? I would like to know if I can expect greatness before I drive all over tarnation.

                            Comment

                            • MarkGrace
                              Grooveshark dick tease
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 31546

                              #15
                              Originally posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
                              When I lived in New England I would stop in this quaint little bakery from time to time when I was in the area for business. They had a sweet roasted garlic boule and a fougasse that were about the closest thing to heaven I have ever experienced. I have yet to find a comparable locally, but I am sure it is out there.

                              Here is the 'elephant ear' fougasse. Sometimes at work I would buy a loaf to share, hwile others would bring in exotic cheeses or meats. Good times!



                              I will be in Utahr in a few weeks and want to hit a few of the better places mentioned here. (And my old favorite Siegfried's Deli, of course.)

                              Has anybody tried some of the more exotic non-dessert breads, etc, at Tulie's? I would like to know if I can expect greatness before I drive all over tarnation.
                              I don't know what those are, but they seem more breads than desserts, and I'm not into breads as much. If you want some pastries that would stack up with anything in the country, and with just about anything in Paris according to many, go here: http://www.cafebesalu.com/

                              People from all over the country -- and other countries -- have tried to pry James Miller from his little shop in Ballard, but he never leaves. Miller has also been a semi-finalist several times for the James Beard for National Outstanding Pastry Chef. And if you like quiche at all, it's a must try here. My wife doesn't every like eggs and she'll loves the quiche there.

                              Additional suggestion is Bakery Nouveau in West Seattle. These dudes won the World Cup of Baking in Paris a few years back. For stricly pastries not quite as good as Besalu (though the twice-baked almond croissant easily ranks among the city's very best pastries), but a much more comprehensive shop. Breads, desserts, house-made chocolates, etc., on top of their pastry selection.


                              Some other good places like Macrina, Honore, La Reve, etc., but those two above are tops.
                              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                              Comment

                              Working...