Steak and Shake

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Flystripper
    Degenerate Gambler
    • Nov 2008
    • 14095

    #31
    the place is ok. Not in the class of In-n-out or Five Guys but I like it better than McDonalds, BK or Wendys.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

    Comment

    • ERCougar
      Junior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 10978

      #32
      Originally posted by YOhio View Post
      James Beard Award-winning food writer Josh Ozersky agrees with me about Steak and Shake.
      I am not the least bit sad that this regional chain is confined to the Midwest.

      I don't get it. The only worse burger that I've had was from that other midwestern nightmare--White Castle. Did I just live by the only really awful one on the planet?
      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

      Comment

      • Surfah
        Where's Wallace?
        • Nov 2008
        • 33726

        #33
        Originally posted by YOhio View Post
        James Beard Award-winning food writer Josh Ozersky agrees with me about Steak and Shake.
        This tells me something about food writers.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

        Comment

        • Flystripper
          Degenerate Gambler
          • Nov 2008
          • 14095

          #34
          Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
          I am not the least bit sad that this regional chain is confined to the Midwest.

          I don't get it. The only worse burger that I've had was from that other midwestern nightmare--White Castle. Did I just live by the only really awful one on the planet?
          I have been to White Castle and Steak and Shake. They really are not close or comparable. You would rate a McDonalds or BK burger ahead of Steak and Shake? That tells me all I need to know about your opinion on this. Steak and Shake is far from awesome, but it isn't near the bottom nor is it near the top of fast food burgers. It is firmly buried in mediocrity.
          Dyslexics are teople poo...

          Comment

          • Surfah
            Where's Wallace?
            • Nov 2008
            • 33726

            #35
            Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
            I have been to White Castle and Steak and Shake. They really are not close or comparable. You would rate a McDonalds or BK burger ahead of Steak and Shake? That tells me all I need to know about your opinion on this. Steak and Shake is far from awesome, but it isn't near the bottom nor is it near the top of fast food burgers. It is firmly buried in mediocrity.
            McDonald's fries pwn Steak and Shake. Not even close. For that reason alone I'd take a double cheeseburger from McD's over Steak and Shake's mediocre burger and crappy fries.
            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

            Comment

            • YOhio
              Hipster Mode
              • Nov 2008
              • 26165

              #36
              Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
              I am not the least bit sad that this regional chain is confined to the Midwest.

              I don't get it. The only worse burger that I've had was from that other midwestern nightmare--White Castle. Did I just live by the only really awful one on the planet?
              You don't have the gift.

              Comment

              • Flystripper
                Degenerate Gambler
                • Nov 2008
                • 14095

                #37
                Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                McDonald's fries pwn Steak and Shake. Not even close. For that reason alone I'd take a double cheeseburger from McD's over Steak and Shake's mediocre burger and crappy fries.
                McDonald's fries pwn most fries. When I go to McDonald's I order a large fry and nothing else. I didn't hate Steak and Shake fries when I went there though. I have only been to the place twice so maybe my sample size is too small, but I like shoestring type fries because I like to grab about 5-6 fries per bite. In addition, Steak and Shake made their fries sufficiently crispy. I thought their fries were ok. The fries were nothing to write home about, but nothing to complain about either. For me, fries come down to texture as much as taste. Since Steak and Shake has skinny cut, crispy fries I was ok with them.
                Dyslexics are teople poo...

                Comment

                • happyone
                  Board Bookworm
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 5398

                  #38
                  Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                  McDonald's fries pwn most fries. When I go to McDonald's I order a large fry and nothing else...

                  When we came back from Germany, all I wanted was McDonald's fries. I can remember being so disappointed in them compared to what we got in Germany

                  That said - they are definately better than most fast food fries esp if you can get them fresh out of the frier

                  I may be small, but I'm slow.

                  A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

                  Comment

                  • Surfah
                    Where's Wallace?
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 33726

                    #39
                    Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                    McDonald's fries pwn most fries. When I go to McDonald's I order a large fry and nothing else. I didn't hate Steak and Shake fries when I went there though. I have only been to the place twice so maybe my sample size is too small, but I like shoestring type fries because I like to grab about 5-6 fries per bite. In addition, Steak and Shake made their fries sufficiently crispy. I thought their fries were ok. The fries were nothing to write home about, but nothing to complain about either. For me, fries come down to texture as much as taste. Since Steak and Shake has skinny cut, crispy fries I was ok with them.
                    See McDonald's fries are about us thinly cut as I like them. If I had my choice I'd prefer a big steak fry. But McDonald's sets the bar for fast food fries. Steak and Shake aren't even really shoe string. They're cut so thin they're more like a garnish.
                    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • BigFatMeanie
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 7119

                      #40
                      Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                      Nothing is good there. The chili isn't half bad. The burgers are lousy. And the fries are the worst fries I have ever had at any fast food chain. Also ridiculous that they have someone take your order.
                      No fries can be worse than In-n-Outs

                      Comment

                      Working...