Curry Favor with CUF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curry Favor with CUF

Folks, does anyone have any favorite curry recipes that they would want to share?

I was out running some errands on Sat and had one of my dudes with me. We stopped and had thai food for lunch. Surprisingly (or not), she dug the coconut curry flavor.

My wife is not huge into curry, although she enjoys it when she eats it. I absolutely love it, but don't make it enough at home to really know what I am doing.

I am looking for something simple...chicken/beef, rice, potatoes sort of thing. Do you add other veggies? Also, I prefer super spicy, but if I am going to be successful in converting my brood, I likely need to start out with very mild. The sweeter the better. I think the coconut stuff would do the trick.

A detailed recipe would be helpful, though. How much curry do you use? Do you folks go to specialty stores and buy the curry powder? I know you can buy curry cubes at most grocery stores. What brand do you use if you go that route? How long do you cook it? etc.

If I am not mistaken, Jeff Lebowski and BFM have outed themselves as curry cookers. Also, MBN? Is that right? I know they cook curry at Chez Waters, but I don't think they will respond to my post here.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Folks, does anyone have any favorite curry recipes that they would want to share?

I was out running some errands on Sat and had one of my dudes with me. We stopped and had thai food for lunch. Surprisingly (or not), she dug the coconut curry flavor.

My wife is not huge into curry, although she enjoys it when she eats it. I absolutely love it, but don't make it enough at home to really know what I am doing.

I am looking for something simple...chicken/beef, rice, potatoes sort of thing. Do you add other veggies? Also, I prefer super spicy, but if I am going to be successful in converting my brood, I likely need to start out with very mild. The sweeter the better. I think the coconut stuff would do the trick.

A detailed recipe would be helpful, though. How much curry do you use? Do you folks go to specialty stores and buy the curry powder? I know you can buy curry cubes at most grocery stores. What brand do you use if you go that route? How long do you cook it? etc.

If I am not mistaken, Jeff Lebowski and BFM have outed themselves as curry cookers. Also, MBN? Is that right? I know they cook curry at Chez Waters, but I don't think they will respond to my post here.

Any help would be appreciated.
    You do realize that we have a food section right?
    *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
      You do realize that we have a food section right?
      Yes. I posted this in The Diner, no?
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

This one is very easy and is a good place to start with Thai curries:

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5958

Masaman is generally a bit more mild than some of the other curries so it would be a good one for your kids.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Noah's Father and I like Vermont Curry. It's incredibly easy, just follow the picture directions on the box (or ask SU's wife to read it for you). I like to brown the chicken chunks prior to throwing it in the pot and I double the veggies.

Lebowski has a nice Massaman Curry recipe that we've enjoyed. Find it yourself over on CG.

Jay Santos also seems to be a big curry guy.

Also, if you like curry flavor, I tried this mulligatawny last month and really enjoyed it. If you try this recipe, PM me first because the execution is kind of jacked up.

http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/reci...d=93&agree=yes

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
            Yes. I posted this in The Diner, no?
            Either I am losing my mind or someone switched it for you, because I swear it was in the Critics Corner.
            *Banned*

Comment

African Curry

This is modified from a recipe I found on www.allrecipes.com. This is an excellent yellow curry dish that contains coconut milk. It is kind of a cross between a Thai curry and an Indian curry. It is very easy to make and is one of our favorite curries.

I normally double this recipe for my family of six and it comes out about right. If you end up with extra, it tastes great as a leftover. I typically cook it in an electric fry pan. To double the recipe, you will need one of the larger fry pans.

1 T olive oil (or just enough to coat the bottom of the pan)
              1 yellow onion, chopped
              2 cloves of garlic, crushed
              1 bay leave
              1 14.5 oz. cans of whole peeled tomatoes (drained). I typically cut the tomatoes in halves or thirds before putting them in the pan
              4 t curry powder. Just the basic yellow curry powder you can get anywhere.
              ¼ t salt
              1 lb chicken. How much chicken you use depends on how “meaty” you want it. I like to use chicken tenders and I find that about 8 chicken tenders is plenty.
              1 14 oz. can of coconut milk. I recommend you get the regular kind, not the reduced fat. BIG difference in taste.
              2 T Sugar. This is one of my modifications. You may want to adjust up or down depending on your taste. This seems about right to our family.
              1/3 C raisins (golden)
              1/3 C slivered almonds
              1 small lemon

Directions

1. Heat the olive oil in the electric fry pan. Stir in the onion, garlic, and bay leaves. Saute until onion is lightly browned.
              2. Add tomatoes, curry powder, and salt. Continue cooking about five minutes, stirring frequently.
              3. Add chicken. Saute until chicken is mostly cooked, stirring frequently.
              4. Add the coconut milk, raisins, and sugar. Turn heat to low and simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring frequently. Put a lid on the pan when you aren’t stirring it to preserve the moisture. Eventually, the sauce will thicken up as some of the water boils off. This is good since it gives it a good texture, but you want to be sure you don’t cook off too much water and turn it into a paste. Of course, you can always add a little extra water if you need to.
              5. While you are simmering the curry, put a little bit of butter in a small fry pan and brown your almonds. This will make them crunchier in the curry.
              6. Just before serving, add the browned almonds and squeeze the lemon juice into the curry and stir well.
              7. Serve over rice.
              Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 02-09-2009, 11:59 AM.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Either I am losing my mind or someone switched it for you, because I swear it was in the Critics Corner.
                You are not crazy. Somebody moved it.

Comment

I switched it for him.

Comment

Originally posted by pelagius View Post
                    I switched it for him.
                    (DOn't be too hard on Pelagius; he is having a hard time following along; see our thread on Austen if you doubt this)
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Easy Curry for non-curry eaters

I just buy the box of S&H Curry in the Wal-Mart oriental foods aisle. It comes in Hot, Medium and Mild. Just stir fry some chicken, onions, carrots, potatos and I add peas. Add water and the S&H curry flavor cubes. Ready in 20 minutes. Serve over white or brown rice.

It pains me to give out this recipe because I am a foodie and this is so plebian. But its a guaranteed hit with the non-curry crowd. Two weeks ago I found out while at work that I was hosting dinner for ten ward members starting at 6pm that evening, and all I had defrosted were 2 large chicken breasts. Curry is not exactly what you'd serve at a mixed crowd from the ward, but they gobbled it up. Plus the curry flavoring lasts for years in food storage. There's a distinct coconut taste as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                        I just buy the box of S&H Curry in the Wal-Mart oriental foods aisle. It comes in Hot, Medium and Mild. Just stir fry some chicken, onions, carrots, potatos and I add peas. Add water and the S&H curry flavor cubes. Ready in 20 minutes. Serve over white or brown rice.

It pains me to give out this recipe because I am a foodie and this is so plebian. But its a guaranteed hit with the non-curry crowd. Two weeks ago I found out while at work that I was hosting dinner for ten ward members starting at 6pm that evening, and all I had defrosted were 2 large chicken breasts. Curry is not exactly what you'd serve at a mixed crowd from the ward, but they gobbled it up. Plus the curry flavoring lasts for years in food storage. There's a distinct coconut taste as well.
                        We use Golden Curry, and then basically follow Katy Lied's recipe sans meat. This is a Japanese style curry, and it is easy and DELISH!

Comment

We've made this one a lot and it's been a big hit with every crowd I've cooked it far:
                          http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Thai-Pi...ry/Detail.aspx

Some of the comments say to thicken it, which is just stupid because curry is not supposed to be thick. I've made this with the Thai Kitchen brand Red Curry paste (probably the most commonly available Thai Curry--from what I've seen anyway) and it's a little on the mild side, which is just fine for my wife. Add some rooster sauce or something if you like it a little spicier.

EDIT: RF, I made this one for my parents and sister when they were in town a few weeks ago and they liked it better than the Red Curry at Benja. Yeah, I'm THAT good--at opening cans and dumping them in my wok....
                          Last edited by ERCougar; 02-09-2009, 12:43 PM.
                          At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                            We've made this one a lot and it's been a big hit with every crowd I've cooked it far:
                            http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Thai-Pi...ry/Detail.aspx

Some of the comments say to thicken it, which is just stupid because curry is not supposed to be thick. I've made this with the Thai Kitchen brand Red Curry paste (probably the most commonly available Thai Curry--from what I've seen anyway) and it's a little on the mild side, which is just fine for my wife. Add some rooster sauce or something if you like it a little spicier.

EDIT: RF, I made this one for my parents and sister when they were in town a few weeks ago and they liked it better than the Red Curry at Benja. Yeah, I'm THAT good--at opening cans and dumping them in my wok....
                            That's a pretty standard Thai curry recipe except for the one quart of water. Most just use straight coconut milk. Sounds like it would be awfully thin. I would eliminate the water and cut back on the sugar (you wouldn't need as much once you cut the water out).

I like Mae Ploy a little better than Thai Kitchen brand. They have it at all of the Asian stores and it is quite cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              That's a pretty standard Thai curry recipe except for the one quart of water. Most just use straight coconut milk. Sounds like it would be awfully thin. I would eliminate the water and cut back on the sugar (you wouldn't need as much once you cut the water out).

I like Mae Ploy a little better than Thai Kitchen brand. They have it at all of the Asian stores and it is quite cheap.
                              The water's just for boiling the rice. At least that's the way I've been cooking it. Maybe that's the reason people think it's too thin?

And you're not in the rural sticks of southern utah. We don't got those asian store things.
                              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Working...
                              X