Curry Favor with CUF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 'Bowski
    That is correct. That is how I first heard about it. The cool thing is that they were swamped with business for the next few weeks from people wanting to show them some love.
    I was one of them. I went back numerous times annually for 2-3 years after, until I moved.

Prior to that they were cursed by their location, despite proximity to SL County Clerks Office and O.C. Tanner. That area used to be heavily populated with street walkers. I recall numerous news stories in the 90's about stings right near there.

Comment

I need to throw in a plug for my former neighbors when I lived in Murray. They also took a rash of crap after 9/11 because they wear turbans (they are Sikh). The entire family was incredibly gracious. They had about 4 generations living in the house.

Anyway, very good food. The location is a problem if coming from SLC, but if you are in the south county area you are golden. They have curries, but are really a full Indian restaurant. The food is far better than the building would suggest.

India House, 8660 S. State.

http://www.indiahousecuisine.com/

Comment

We also tried a place an Indian place in Draper called Aroma. It was a pretty nice experience overall. We have only been once and have heard mixed reviews but we enjoyed our experience there.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

If you didn't blow off the suggestions of non-foodies, you could have tried some fantastic sweet-pineapple curry, a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

Made yellow curry tonight with the hope of seeing my kids devour it after church tomorrow. I like things pretty spicy but figured I'd reduce the amount of paste called for by about 1/3 so the kids would enjoy. When finished I tasted it and realized it's still much too hot for them (delicious for me though). I'm using Mae Ploy paste and since many of you do as well I have to ask, what amount do you use to get your young kids to eat and enjoy? I'm thinking it may end up being as little as 2 tsp.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
              Made yellow curry tonight with the hope of seeing my kids devour it after church tomorrow. I like things pretty spicy but figured I'd reduce the amount of paste called for by about 1/3 so the kids would enjoy. When finished I tasted it and realized it's still much too hot for them (delicious for me though). I'm using Mae Ploy paste and since many of you do as well I have to ask, what amount do you use to get your young kids to eat and enjoy? I'm thinking it may end up being as little as 2 tsp.
              We use 2T but our kids are teens or older.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Apparently there is a Indian Restaurant in South Jordan called Saffron Valley that is pretty awesome.

Had an Indian resident working with me this past week who recommended it highly, so I'm going to try to check it out soon.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  We also tried a place an Indian place in Draper called Aroma. It was a pretty nice experience overall. We have only been once and have heard mixed reviews but we enjoyed our experience there.
                  I know people who love Aroma, but I wasn't impressed.

There is a place in Sandy on 13th East and 8600 S, Taste of Punjab that is our go to place for Indian if we are in the south suburbs. If we are in SLC, I still think that Himalayan is the best Indian.

In Lehi, Thai House has good Thai food.
                  As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                  --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                    I know people who love Aroma, but I wasn't impressed.

There is a place in Sandy on 13th East and 8600 S, Taste of Punjab that is our go to place for Indian if we are in the south suburbs. If we are in SLC, I still think that Himalayan is the best Indian.

In Lehi, Thai House has good Thai food.
                    That is what we have seen as well....people love aroma or hate it. We enjoyed it but obviously not enough to refrain from looking for other places. Or to go back a second time. On further review, maybe we didn't enjoy it that much.

Himalayan....will have to give it a try, esp if they do lunch.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      We use 2T but our kids are teens or older.
                      Next batch I'll take it down to 1 T and see if they can take it.

Comment

I have the good fortune to live in a city with an abundance of Asian markets, as we have a large Laotian population here. I have several co-workers who hail from that area of the world and who are first generation or second generation here and who love to share cooking tips. One of the best I've received lately is for improving on curry recipes. Figured I'd share it with CUF.

Works with any Thai curry. To your recipe add 3 segments of fresh lemongrass. To get to those segments you peel off the outer layers untel the plant is shiny, then slice mid stalk into 3 approx. 3 inch segments. Smash them just before adding (you'll see why immediately as the aroma is excellent). Also add 3 segments of galangal. This looks just like ginger but is slightly different colored, more towards pink. It's a lot tougher to prep than ginger, you'll need a good knife for peeling. Once peeled cut 3 or 4 quarter inch thick rounds and add to the curry. Finally Kafir lime leaves. These are sliced in half just before adding.

I am able to purchase fresh lemongrass, frozen galangal and Kafir lime leaves (sold in a sandwhich baggie for $1.29) easily here. If you're lucky enough to find the same it really does add a new dimension to the meal. Tastes a little more authentic I think. All 3 of the items should be removed from the meal prior to serving.

Comment

I make a nice curry.

I do something different though, I take the curry and stuff it in the Costco raw tortillas, make a curry burrito.

I swear I could sell them from a taco stand.

Comment

I forgot until fus bumped this thread. I've eaten at a place called Ekamai, a Thai curry spot around 3rd South and 4th west, I believe. Right next door to Craputos.

It was ok. Not worth a specific trip there but if you are in the area and want to try it, it will suffice. Fairly inexpensive.

sigpic

Comment

Folks, a couple of curry questions:

1. coconut milk: it was pointed out earlier that the type of coco milk makes a diff. I have seen 3 types in stores....lite, unsweetened, and "original," for lack of a better term (one can actually did say original on it). I assume that the lite and the unsweetened versions will result in pretty gross curry? Do you want to go original, or full fat version of the coco milk?
                              2. Asian stores in Provo/Orem/AF area that you frequent? I am doubtful there is an Asian store in AF but am told there are some in Orem and the 'Vo. One thing I miss about OC....Asian markets everywhere.

sigpic

Comment

There's a decent Asian market in SLC on 9th South between 4th and 5th East. I forgot the name. Better than Chao's in Provo.

Comment

Working...
                                X