Time to get serious about a new smoker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Interesting. Like I said, I just haven't noticed any problems with temp fluctuation. Mine has an analog thermometer on top as a check and it is always very close to the digital setting. The insulation and higher temps would be nice. I notice that the Memphis is $2K+ (yikes - I thought the Traeger was expensive). Any of the other brands comparable in price to the Traeger?
    I think Traeger is still the most cost effective, especially now that Costco has them in their roadshows occasionally. At half the cost of the Memphis Pro, the Traeger does a fine job. Memphis, Mak, Yoder, and the others are all between 1300-2000.

Btw, my analog thermometer is usually 50-75 degrees hotter than my digital which is at grill level. That is to be expected though since it is in the top of the grill near the exhaust. I also will usually go through a full hopper of pellets when doing a long smoke. The larger cooking chamber of the Texas needs more fuel to keep it at temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• smoker wars!!

:box::fight:
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
        I think Traeger is still the most cost effective, especially now that Costco has them in their roadshows occasionally.
        Yeah, they sell at Costco for $300-400 less than what I paid.

But I use the Costco sales to stock up on pellets.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Here is a decent list of the different pellet smokers out there.

http://pelletheads.com/index.php?topic=2349.

Also Yoder Smokers have just started making pellet grills which look nice and are supposedly really beefy.

http://www.yodersmokers.com/pellet.html
          "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• Just finished eating my best tri-tip yet. I tried something a little different this time. It was mostly frozen when I put the rub on. Let it sit for about 45 minutes and then put it in the Memphis at 225 until it hit 90 degrees. Then I raised the temp to 550 and threw them on the grill grates, dusted them with more rub, and a few sprays of apple juice. Turned them at 110, a little more rub and a few more sprays of apple juice. Pulled them off at 130 and let rest for about 15 minutes. Heavenly.
            A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
              Just finished eating my best tri-tip yet. I tried something a little different this time. It was mostly frozen when I put the rub on. Let it sit for about 45 minutes and then put it in the Memphis at 225 until it hit 90 degrees. Then I raised the temp to 550 and threw them on the grill grates, dusted them with more rub, and a few sprays of apple juice. Turned them at 110, a little more rub and a few more sprays of apple juice. Pulled them off at 130 and let rest for about 15 minutes. Heavenly.
              I do a nice tri-tip on a regular gas grill. I usually rub a day or two before cooking. Next time I'm going to incorporate the apple juice spritz. I'll bet that adds to the awesomeness.

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
                Just finished eating my best tri-tip yet. I tried something a little different this time. It was mostly frozen when I put the rub on. Let it sit for about 45 minutes and then put it in the Memphis at 225 until it hit 90 degrees. Then I raised the temp to 550 and threw them on the grill grates, dusted them with more rub, and a few sprays of apple juice. Turned them at 110, a little more rub and a few more sprays of apple juice. Pulled them off at 130 and let rest for about 15 minutes. Heavenly.
                I just got home from work and someone around here is BBQ'ing, but it isnt me.

The smell is making me very hungry.

I try to do my tri-tip the same way. Low temp, indirect until they reach about 120-125, then blast them direct at 5-600° to sear them on both sides. They turn out great!

Comment

• I have seen some folks use the Orion Cooker Smoker... They say you can do a good size briskets in these in 4-6 hours. The brisket I have tasted from one of these was awesome. I wondering if y'all have any opinions of these. I am thinking about picking one of these up as a portable smoker.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Orion-101-Convection-Cooker/dp/B000QJ2X0A"]Amazon.com: Orion 101 Convection Cooker: Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51MmuJSVSqL.@@AMEPARAM@@51MmuJSVSqL[/ame]

[YOUTUBE]-RNNP2sLTOE[/YOUTUBE]
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                    I have seen some folks use the Orion Cooker Smoker... They say you can do a good size briskets in these in 4-6 hours. The brisket I have tasted from one of these was awesome. I wondering if y'all have any opinions of these. I am thinking about picking one of these up as a portable smoker.

Amazon.com: Orion 101 Convection Cooker: Patio, Lawn & Garden

[YOUTUBE]-RNNP2sLTOE[/YOUTUBE]
                    Looks interesting. I think it would be cool for camping.

Comment

Looks interesting. I think it would be cool for camping.
                      Yes, that and tailgating.
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I just got home from work and someone around here is BBQ'ing, but it isnt me.

The smell is making me very hungry.

I try to do my tri-tip the same way. Low temp, indirect until they reach about 120-125, then blast them direct at 5-600° to sear them on both sides. They turn out great!
                        We did Costco ribeyes, grilled onions, and grilled sweet corn. Yum...
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          We did Costco ribeyes, grilled onions, and grilled sweet corn. Yum...
                          I had leftover Costco rotissere chicken on top of their Fiesta Salad. It was good, but it was no ribeye...

Comment

• I signed up for the charity cook off that Jefe is putting on for CB. I'm doing a brisket for the first time tonight. If it is decent I will do another for the contest next week. Anyone here planning on going?
                            A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Just about to throw on about 35 lbs of pork butt onto the Traeger. My cousin is having his farewell tomorrow (going to Santiago, Chile) and it is for the post farewell luncheon. The good news is we are only staying for Sacrament Meeting! The bad news is alot of our family and friends will be at the luncheon and they take their food seriously. This could be a make it or break it deal for me if I dont produce some good pulled pork for them.

Comment

Just about to throw on about 35 lbs of pork butt onto the Traeger. My cousin is having his farewell tomorrow (going to Santiago, Chile) and it is for the post farewell luncheon. The good news is we are only staying for Sacrament Meeting! The bad news is alot of our family and friends will be at the luncheon and they take their food seriously. This could be a make it or break it deal for me if I dont produce some good pulled pork for them.
                                I don't get it, how will it make you? How will it break you?
                                Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                                God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                                Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Working...
                                X