X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    The whole process had a WWDTD? vibe to it
    Sweet. Glad to be of service!
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• Lowes has 2-20 lb bags of kingsford for 9.88. I bought 10 bags during my three trios to Lowes today.
      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
        Lowes has 2-20 lb bags of kingsford for 9.88. I bought 10 bags during my three trios to Lowes today.
        kingsford comp? That is insanely cheap!
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

kingsford comp? That is insanely cheap!
          Original. Still a ridiculous price. Expires tomorrow.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_361268-308-4...ductId=3460912

BTW, Costco is selling Kingsford Comp for $17 for 36 lbs. Expires on Sunday.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Traeger is having a 20% off sale this weekend, and I'm probably going to trick out my new unit with a couple of shelves and second smoking rack. But apparently others had the same idea as the website is down.

Baby backs be smokin' as I type this.

Comment

• Any tips on how to prevent the flame going out during smoking mode? As reported elsewhere, an hour into a three-hour smoke, I noticed the grill temp was around 95 with no heat coming from under the rack. I took everything out and found a fire pot filled with fresh pellets. I emptied it and things went well from there, but I'd like to avoid a repeat.

Also, how often am I supposed to clean out the fire pot and the internal parts generally?

Thanks for all the guidance to date. M-PAC is loving this, since for the first time in our marriage I'm doing the cooking.

Comment

• I've never had the flame go out on me, so can't help you there. But you can call Traeger and ask them; they might send a new controller or temperature probe to see if it'll help. I clean out the fire pot and vacuum the ash out of the smoker after just about every cook. If I don't, I start seeing ash on the meat during the next cook.

Comment

• My old neighbor, who owns Sonny Boys, roasted us a pig last night for our neighborhood barbecue. This beauty is one of four smokers he has--a $24k pellet smoker with 12 rotating racks.

We talked bbq for a good hour, and I picked up all kinds of tips, but maybe even better, he said he'd sell me choice brisket any time I wanted at his cost, usually around $2.50/lb.
                  Last edited by ERCougar; 07-05-2014, 06:12 AM.
                  At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                  -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Sheesh that is a serious rig. He has 4 of them? Is there a huge catering demand in your town or is he out competing on weekends?

sigpic

Comment

• Is sonny boy's the one that is owned by Lon Allen's son?
                      "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

Sheesh that is a serious rig. He has 4 of them? Is there a huge catering demand in your town or is he out competing on weekends?
                        He opened a restaurant in cedar a few years ago. I wasn't completely impressed at first, but the quality has improved dramatically since then. Turns out, there is a learning curve between doing great barbecue on a small scale and on a large one.

So things have really taken off the last couple of years and he's now opened a place in Hurricane and Mesquite and has his eyes on slc or Vegas next. It was fun hearing the ins and the outs of the restaurant busines.
                        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                          He opened a restaurant in cedar a few years ago. I wasn't completely impressed at first, but the quality has improved dramatically since then. Turns out, there is a learning curve between doing great barbecue on a small scale and on a large one.

So things have really taken off the last couple of years and he's now opened a place in Hurricane and Mesquite and has his eyes on slc or Vegas next. It was fun hearing the ins and the outs of the restaurant busines.
                          We've been going to his place in Cedar for a few years and the food has definitely improved over that time. i hope he brings one to slc.
                          "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• $24,000 pellet grill? Wow! Very cool about the brisket deal. Jealous.

BTW, lol @ moliere and GM who say that pellet grills are for amateurs.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post

That's great. Sounds like a fun job.

ive cooked for a couple of gatherings ranging from 45 or so to around 120. The 120 was my SILs wedding reception and I did pulled pork. Seemed like I was up all night, running around everywhere, and when it was done I was exhausted. When I hear about guys who do this for hundreds and hundreds of people, and on a regular basis, it blows my mind. But it still sounds like a fun gig!

Speaking of these large rigs, I wish utah would develop a bigger presence with KCBS. There are a lot of smokers in this state and, at the very least, a lot of hicks hayseeds rednecks beer swillers and overweight people who love to eat cue. Imagine one annual KCBS event with good prize money..host at the SL Fairgrounds or something over the course of a weekend. What a party. I would love to just walk around and ask questions all day, sampling stuff as I went.would also be fun to see the different pits people use. Heck even put together a CS comp team to try our hand at it. You live pretty close to Vegas and could get to some of these things more regularly, at least. You should take advantage of that. I know I would.

sigpic

Comment

Speaking of these large rigs, I wish utah would develop a bigger presence with KCBS. There are a lot of smokers in this state and, at the very least, a lot of hicks hayseeds rednecks beer swillers and overweight people who love to eat cue. Imagine one annual KCBS event with good prize money..host at the SL Fairgrounds or something over the course of a weekend. What a party. I would love to just walk around and ask questions all day, sampling stuff as I went.would also be fun to see the different pits people use. Heck even put together a CS comp team to try our hand at it.
                                I've had the same thoughts, wondering why there isn't anything organized here in Utah. I would think you could put something together, get some sponsors, etc around the 24th of July. It's the perfect Holiday. Definitely too late this year, but it's only a matter of time before someone actually does this.

Comment

Working...
                                X