Time to get serious about a new smoker.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • LA Ute
    Receiver of Memory
    • Nov 2008
    • 19512

    #1111
    We followed the Drunk Tank guidance on the tri tip, BTW. Smoked it for about 90 minutes, then seared it and let it rest. It had a nice smoke ring and was delicious. Coastal made up his own rub. Ingredients:



    The trick to the Egg is mastering the heat control. It's not as easy as you all report the Traeger to be.

    Sorry, it was devoured before I could snap a photo.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden


    "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    Comment

    • lambdacoug
      Junior Member
      • Oct 2011
      • 3981

      #1112
      My employer hosted an internal developers conference last week which was awesome. The first keynote was all about the open hardware revolution enabled by the Arduino and Raspberry Pi. So as a perfect upgrade to my ECB, I think I'll throw on a temperature sensor and get realtime updates on my phone about the internal temperature and things like running averages over 5, 15, and 30 minutes, high and low temperature water marks, etc... Basically, I'm a
      Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
      - Howard Aiken

      Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
      - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

      Comment

      • ERCougar
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 10978

        #1113
        Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
        We followed the Drunk Tank guidance on the tri tip, BTW. Smoked it for about 90 minutes, then seared it and let it rest. It had a nice smoke ring and was delicious. Coastal made up his own rub. Ingredients:



        The trick to the Egg is mastering the heat control. It's not as easy as you all report the Traeger to be.

        Sorry, it was devoured before I could snap a photo.
        It's fun, right?
        Pretty sure everyone warned you about the temp control thing. It's not as easy. But you'll get much better at it and I think that's part of what makes it fun. Also, realize you don't have to be nearly as precise with temp control as you think. I think it was the guy at amazing ribs who said the only difference between a shoulder smoked at 220 and one at 280 is that the one at 280 is finished on time. So just relax and have fun with it and realize it's going to taste great either way. My general rule is 200s for smoking, 300s for barbecuing, and 400+ for grilling. It's fun to try to nail certain temps but really, I'm not convinced it makes much of a difference (if any) in taste.
        If you really do insist on temps, get a controller. You can dial in on temps as accurately as a traeger, but again, what's the point? It puts my mind at ease if I have to leave it for a long time, but I'm not even really using it for that any more.
        One thing that is probably trickier is decreasing temps. I don't know how easy this is on a Traeger, but the heat sink of the ceramic makes it tough to disperse heat. So try not to overshoot.
        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

        Comment

        • HuskyFreeNorthwest
          Time to camp
          • Nov 2008
          • 26082

          #1114
          Enumclaw's with us

          image.jpg
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

          Comment

          • LA Ute
            Receiver of Memory
            • Nov 2008
            • 19512

            #1115
            Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
            One thing that is probably trickier is decreasing temps. I don't know how easy this is on a Traeger, but the heat sink of the ceramic makes it tough to disperse heat. So try not to overshoot.
            Yeah, we have learned that it's easier to increase the heat than to bring it down. The thing heats up very rapidly when the fire's too big and I leave it for a few minutes.
            “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
            ― W.H. Auden


            "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
            -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


            "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

            Comment

            • HuskyFreeNorthwest
              Time to camp
              • Nov 2008
              • 26082

              #1116
              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              You poor thing.
              The BGE didn't come with the tub, the table to go with it was on back order. So all I got were some eggcessories. image.jpg
              Get confident, stupid
              -landpoke

              Comment

              • Drunk Tank
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2009
                • 2569

                #1117
                Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                Yeah, we have learned that it's easier to increase the heat than to bring it down. The thing heats up very rapidly when the fire's too big and I leave it for a few minutes.
                Mastering the vents on a BGE will come with practice. I found on mine, that the bottom vent approx. 1/4-1/2" open and the top vent open approx. 1/3-1/2 would give me steady temps in the 250-275° range. Also, how you build your fire is very important. Try to use only big chunks of lump on bottom and if you have smaller pieces, keep them on top. You want good air flow. Also, if smoking, only light the coals in one spot. I used a weed burner and would only get 2-3 pieces going really good. Then shut the lid with bottom and top vent both wide open. once you hit 350-400° on the dome thermometer, shut the bottom vent to about 1/4-1/2° and the top vent to about 1/3. The temps should settle down to around 225-250°. From there it is easy to make small adjustment.

                One of the biggest problems with the BGE is that it is so efficient, it is really easy to get stale smoke. That is why it is important to have a nice small clean burning fire with good air flow. Keep those air holes on the fire pot clean and free of debris!

                Or just go get a BBQ guru or Stoker and then just set it and forget it.
                "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

                Comment

                • LA Ute
                  Receiver of Memory
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 19512

                  #1118
                  Father's Day present:



                  Anyone have experience with these? I'll report on my successes and failures.
                  “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                  ― W.H. Auden


                  "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                  -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                  "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                  --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                  Comment

                  • ERCougar
                    Junior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 10978

                    #1119
                    Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                    Father's Day present:



                    Anyone have experience with these? I'll report on my successes and failures.
                    Haven't you been listening? We've all moved on to the anti tech phase!

                    I'm pretty sure most of us have Maveriks. And most of us stopped using them much after the first little while. I think they're decent to give you an idea of how fast or slow meat temps change. Once you figure that out though, I don't think you'll use it much.

                    please consult before you make any more purchases.
                    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                    Comment

                    • Jeff Lebowski
                      Corporate lackey for Jesus
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 69749

                      #1120
                      Send it back and buy a thermapen.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                      Comment

                      • LA Ute
                        Receiver of Memory
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 19512

                        #1121
                        Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                        Haven't you been listening? We've all moved on to the anti tech phase!

                        I'm pretty sure most of us have Maveriks. And most of us stopped using them much after the first little while. I think they're decent to give you an idea of how fast or slow meat temps change. Once you figure that out though, I don't think you'll use it much.

                        please consult before you make any more purchases.
                        I am learning line upon line, precept upon precept.
                        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                        ― W.H. Auden


                        "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                        "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                        Comment

                        • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                          Time to camp
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 26082

                          #1122
                          Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                          I am learning line upon line, precept upon precept.
                          That's not good enough.
                          Get confident, stupid
                          -landpoke

                          Comment

                          • Green Monstah
                            Royal Rooter
                            • Aug 2010
                            • 13981

                            #1123
                            Nothing wrong with a maverick. I'd argue it's harder to get to the "feel" phase without going through the wireless thermo phase.

                            Also, I'd say a maverick is essential if you're using an egg or bullet smoker so you have a good idea of the smoker's temp. The guys with traegers don't ha e to worry about spiking temps like you and I.
                            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                            "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                            Comment

                            • Green Monstah
                              Royal Rooter
                              • Aug 2010
                              • 13981

                              #1124
                              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              Send it back and buy a thermapen.
                              Is this the brand name? I searched amazon and there Are several instant meat therms with a wide price range. Any suggestions on brand/model?
                              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                              "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                              Comment

                              • ERCougar
                                Junior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 10978

                                #1125
                                Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                                Is this the brand name? I searched amazon and there Are several instant meat therms with a wide price range. Any suggestions on brand/model?
                                http://www.amazon.com/Splash-Proof-S.../dp/B002GEE4C8
                                At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                                -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                                Comment

                                Working...