Time to get serious about a new smoker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    I’ve also been primarily been a themapen guy. The main reason I like the thought of WiFi is to be able to start something smoking then be able to increase to a higher temp without physically being at home. If we are ever able to return to normal church in WA, this would be particularly helpful.
    I bought a super-cheap thermometer once that lets you track temp over the internet. I'm sure it also shared all of my personal data with China, but that was part of the bargain I suppose. Provided real ease of mind as I was sitting through a boring sunday school lesson, not having to wonder whether I was over-cooking my brisket.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

I’ve also been primarily been a themapen guy. The main reason I like the thought of WiFi is to be able to start something smoking then be able to increase to a higher temp without physically being at home. If we are ever able to return to normal church in WA, this would be particularly helpful.
      OK. I can see that. I would just ask my wife to change the temp.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Went ahead and bought the Kamado Joe a couple weeks ago when it was on sell on Amazon. Haven’t set it up yet. Any recommendations on how to use it? Is it worth it to get one of those temperature regulator fans that attach to the lower vent? I’m new to all this, but excited to try it out.

Comment

I use the temp probe on the Traeger and the wifi all the time, and I also have a Thermapen which I use plenty as well. I also have the pellet sensor. I used the Thermapen to validate that the Traeger temp probe is reasonably accurate. After validating that the Traeger probe is accurate, here are things I like about the temp probe and wifi:
          • I go outside, start up the Traeger and let it go through it's pre-heating cycle and get up to temp without checking it. I get a notification when it's at temp and ready to put the food on.
          • I can check the temp remotely without having to open up the grill and having it lose temp. Bonus when the whether outside sucks.
          • As Art already pointed out, I can and do adjust the temp without having to go out to the grill.
          • I get low pellet notifications.
          • When I pull something off the grill and go inside to start foiling or resting or whatever, I can just shut down the grill from the app and don't have to go outside again.
          • I get a notification when shutdown is complete and can go put the cover on (or I can send a kid to do it if I don't want to go outside).

I use the Thermapen all the time for stuff and even got a nicer Thermoworks ChefAlarm for my wife for this Christmas (on sale now for only $51!) because her $15 leave-in temp probe from Target is so ridiculously inaccurate compared to the Thermapen. Sometimes off by 20 degrees. But for food on the Traeger, the probe/pellet sensor/wifi is a really nice combo.

Comment

• Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
            Went ahead and bought the Kamado Joe a couple weeks ago when it was on sell on Amazon. Haven’t set it up yet. Any recommendations on how to use it? Is it worth it to get one of those temperature regulator fans that attach to the lower vent? I’m new to all this, but excited to try it out.
            You might check out this board’s kamado thread

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...-Kamado-Thread

and also the egghead forum (BGE-centric but useful for any kamado owner).
            "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• https://twitter.com/ohhyoubetcha/sta...736034824?s=20

So funny

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                that guy does some golf ones too. not as funny.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                  that guy does some golf ones too. not as funny.
                  Agree 100%. But this one is great.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                    Agree 100%. But this one is great.
                    I got a chuckle out of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                      You might check out this board’s kamado thread

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...-Kamado-Thread

and also the egghead forum (BGE-centric but useful for any kamado owner).
                      Thanks. I’ll check them out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        OK. I can see that. I would just ask my wife to change the temp.
                        :surprise: Sister Lebowski is inactive?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                          :surprise: Sister Lebowski is inactive?
                          She only goes to church once a month. And only for one hour.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
                            Went ahead and bought the Kamado Joe a couple weeks ago when it was on sell on Amazon. Haven’t set it up yet. Any recommendations on how to use it? Is it worth it to get one of those temperature regulator fans that attach to the lower vent? I’m new to all this, but excited to try it out.
                            I don't have one but I know a couple of guys that do and they both swear that you don't need the fan thing. Very easy to control temps using the vent.

I would love to get a ceramic grill. Just not sure where I would put it.

Comment

I will never understand the appeal of this. And I am a tech guy. I like to look directly at the meat. And use my thermapen.
                              I use wifi thermometers and a wifi control for my catering gig. My smoker is about 20 minutes away so in the middle of the night it’s a nice feature. I’d probably never use it at home.
                              A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

She only goes to church once a month. And only for one hour.
                                Does that make her a MINO?
                                "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Working...
                                X