Time to get serious about a new smoker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
    Hey Mol, I really like the Yoder 640 and am considering it but it is ass-ugly. I think the Big Green Egg is very cute, but I dont know who sells it -- Ace Hardware?

You are aware that the Yoder and the BGE are two completely different styles of smokers, right? Not just cuteness factor, but the manner in which they used: fuel, temp control, etc.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

You are aware that the Yoder and the BGE are two completely different styles of smokers, right? Not just cuteness factor, but the manner in which they used: fuel, temp control, etc.
      Whatever. KL, get the cute one.
      "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
        Hey Mol, I really like the Yoder 640 and am considering it but it is ass-ugly. I think the Big Green Egg is very cute, but I dont know who sells it -- Ace Hardware?
        This reminds me of one of my favorite comics I saw a long time ago (and can't find with a quick google search). It was captioned something like "how car shopping would be different if women were in charge of buying cars" and it had a bunch of car dealerships with signs like "red cars" and "blue cars" and "cute little cars".
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Can't think of a single good reason to need wifi on a smoker.

I used to use temp probes, but don't use them much anymore. For ribs, everything is based on timing and it is foolproof. For brisket and pulled pork, I do the smoking phase (4 hrs typically) in the smoker and then finish in my oven. I just start stabbing it with my thermapen when I think it is approaching doneness. Easy peasy.
          What you said. The thing people don't understand about smoking and barbecue is how forgiving it is. My smoker has no temp control, so the temp goes up and down as I add wood and it burns down. Still, I can fill it with briskets, smoke them all day, and get a full day's work done. The time is in prep and wrapping, imo.

Some of these new smokers are really cool, but unless you use it all the time you don't need anything fancy (wanting one and buying it because you can is perfectly justifiable, though). I took the rack out of one side of an old gas grill and used apple sticks to smoke ribs for 10 people one day. It's just not that hard if you keep your temps low.
          sigpic
          "Outlined against a blue, gray
          October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
          Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
            I would say either your food temp probe is bad/needs calibrating or the grate temp probe (or both). You said the meat was at 175 when you pulled it. Did it shred easily? or did you slice it? At 175, it would be difficult to shred. Also, how long into the pic taken? Doesn't look like there was much rendered fat in the pan.

I have had pork butts take a really long time, but not 20 hours.
            The meat shredded but was a bit stiffer than I was hoping . The smoke ring was deep and the taste was great.

I cooked a bunch of chicken legs last night and paid attention to the extra probe I had near the grates. It read 30-40 degrees cooler than the controller reading, so it does look like there is a problem. I am contacting Yoder for their recommendation.

BTW the chicken was great. My family are becoming huge fans.
            One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
            SU

Comment

• Originally posted by snowcat View Post
              The meat shredded but was a bit stiffer than I was hoping . The smoke ring was deep and the taste was great.

I cooked a bunch of chicken legs last night and paid attention to the extra probe I had near the grates. It read 30-40 degrees cooler than the controller reading, so it does look like there is a problem. I am contacting Yoder for their recommendation.

BTW the chicken was great. My family are becoming huge fans.
              Yup chicken thighs and legs are awesome on the smoker. Cheap cuts of meat that's are almost impossible to mess up and people love them.

Comment

Dude, come on. That is not a side burner. It is a pellet hopper.
                I think Camp Chef reads CS. They now have a smoker with a side burner. Well, actually it's a sear box.

PG24wws_1.jpg

Comment

• I cannot recommend the Traeger Timberline 1300. Nothing but problems for me. Sooty, pellets burning in the auger tube, auger jammed, and less than great smoke output. Traeger's fix was to send updates to the Wi-Fire controller. It has work "ok" since then but still not great. There is supposed to be another update coming out soon to address more issues. Apparently mine is not a random case either. Looking on some Traeger forums there are many unhappy 1300 owners. The 850 however, gets rave reviews. I should have gone back to a Yoder. At least it was consistent.
                  "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                    I cannot recommend the Traeger Timberline 1300. Nothing but problems for me. Sooty, pellets burning in the auger tube, auger jammed, and less than great smoke output. Traeger's fix was to send updates to the Wi-Fire controller. It has work "ok" since then but still not great. There is supposed to be another update coming out soon to address more issues. Apparently mine is not a random case either. Looking on some Traeger forums there are many unhappy 1300 owners. The 850 however, gets rave reviews. I should have gone back to a Yoder. At least it was consistent.
                    Yikes. Sorry to hear that.

I am going stick with my old-timey Traeger until it doesn't work any more.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Yikes. Sorry to hear that.

I am going stick with my old-timey Traeger until it doesn't work any more.
                      I got in an argument about this the other day. The other fellow was singing the praises of the Timberline and calling it a game changer. That thing is cool but it's not a game changer. My old school Traeger works just fine.

Comment

• https://youtu.be/fulJLYgsfSw

I don't know how effective this smoker/grill combo would be, but I enjoyed the commercial.
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• My Traeger has served me well for many years, but I'm putting in a backyard in the new house and looking to build a small outdoor kitchen of sorts - no more than a countertop/bar with built-in smoker/grill really. I'm looking for a combination unit that I can grill and smoke on, and right now I'm leaning toward the Yoder 640. Any advice for or against trying to do an all-in-one set up?
                          "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• what happens if the smoker breaks
                            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                              what happens if the smoker breaks
                              Dude, it's been a tough enough fall as it is. Don't even joke about that.
                              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                                what happens if the smoker breaks
                                I tried using the smoker today - it shut off a few seconds after I turned it on. Think it might be broken. I ended up cooking in the oven. It was so frustrating.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X