Time to get serious about a new smoker.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69720

    #1786
    Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Think of it as returning the favor.

    I'm not following your last sentence. Seems like a straw man. P
    It does indeed seem like a straw man - of your making. I am trying to understand the logic of your new "pellet grills are OK - just not Traegers when it comes to flavor" double-down. Help me understand.

    Traegers are built for the mass market. They use thinner metal and less insulation to keep the cost down. There are lots of pellet grills out there with stainless steel, thicker metal, more insulation, bigger hoppers, higher top-end on the temps, etc. and they are wonderful. But I have never heard of anyone making the argument that there is a flavor difference between pellet grills.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

    Comment

    • Green Monstah
      Royal Rooter
      • Aug 2010
      • 13965

      #1787
      We aren't on the same page. I think your rush to defend (or offend) caused you to misunderstand. I don't have anything against any pellet cooker. This whole thing started because I made a harmless crack about augers and boards. I think my BBQ is better than the food I've eaten from a Traeger, but that could be many things. I mentioned my own bias, but it could also be that the person cooking didn't do it well.

      Shoot, I said if I could turn back time, I'd probably get a Traeger.

      My issue is with your statement that there's no difference in food from your two smokers. Its sort of like saying there's no difference between salt lick and franklins. Two very different t methods. Both delicious, but definitively distinct.
      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

      "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

      Comment

      • Jeff Lebowski
        Corporate lackey for Jesus
        • Nov 2008
        • 69720

        #1788
        Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
        We aren't on the same page. I think your rush to defend (or offend) caused you to misunderstand. I don't have anything against any pellet cooker. This whole thing started because I made a harmless crack about augers and boards. I think my BBQ is better than the food I've eaten from a Traeger, but that could be many things. I mentioned my own bias, but it could also be that the person cooking didn't do it well.

        Shoot, I said if I could turn back time, I'd probably get a Traeger.

        My issue is with your statement that there's no difference in food from your two smokers. Its sort of like saying there's no difference between salt lick and franklins. Two very different t methods. Both delicious, but definitively distinct.
        Moving the goalposts yet again.

        You are the king.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

        Comment

        • Green Monstah
          Royal Rooter
          • Aug 2010
          • 13965

          #1789
          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Moving the goalposts yet again.

          You are the king.
          Still #1.

          Scroll up and re-read, amigo.

          You've actually exhausted my willingness to argue an obscure point. Congrats.
          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

          "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69720

            #1790
            Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
            Still #1.

            Scroll up and re-read, amigo.

            You've actually exhausted my willingness to argue an obscure point. Congrats.
            Unlike you, I own both types of smokers and use them both regularly.

            Differences in flavor come from what type of wood you are using and how much smoke you are laying down. If I want more intense smoke flavor (with either smoker), I simply wait longer before foiling. Of course, you have to be careful, because with either smoker it is easy to get too much smoke. In both cases, I typically foil after about 4 hours with butts and brisket. Sooner with ribs.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • All-American
              Right, as Usual
              • Nov 2008
              • 15670

              #1791
              Question particularly for you Traeger owners. How comfortable do you feel leaving the house while something is cooking? I wouldn't hesitate to leave the oven in the kitchen on if I were making something that took several hours and had a quick errand to run. Do you feel the same way about your Traeger, or would you be nervous leaving it running if nobody was there to keep an eye on it?
              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

              Comment

              • Pelado
                Bald not naked
                • Sep 2010
                • 21143

                #1792
                Originally posted by All-American View Post
                Question particularly for you Traeger owners. How comfortable do you feel leaving the house while something is cooking? I wouldn't hesitate to leave the oven in the kitchen on if I were making something that took several hours and had a quick errand to run. Do you feel the same way about your Traeger, or would you be nervous leaving it running if nobody was there to keep an eye on it?
                As long as the hopper is sufficiently filled, just fine.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

                Comment

                • Jeff Lebowski
                  Corporate lackey for Jesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 69720

                  #1793
                  Originally posted by All-American View Post
                  Question particularly for you Traeger owners. How comfortable do you feel leaving the house while something is cooking? I wouldn't hesitate to leave the oven in the kitchen on if I were making something that took several hours and had a quick errand to run. Do you feel the same way about your Traeger, or would you be nervous leaving it running if nobody was there to keep an eye on it?
                  No problem at all.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                  Comment

                  • All-American
                    Right, as Usual
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 15670

                    #1794
                    Results from the first cook:

                    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                    Comment

                    • Donuthole
                      Official Outgayer
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 25269

                      #1795
                      Originally posted by All-American View Post
                      Results from the first cook:

                      Good thing Costco has a great return policy!
                      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                      There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                      Comment

                      • Surfah
                        Where's Wallace?
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 33726

                        #1796
                        I've never baked in my smoker.
                        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • All-American
                          Right, as Usual
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 15670

                          #1797
                          I can't tell you how disappointed I am right now.

                          So I turn the grill on and set it to smoke. It's not a minute or two before the smoke really starts going. I set it to high and shut the door while I prep the chicken and some potatoes for sides. By the time I'm done with the rub, I can see that the volume of smoke has gone down substantially-- a good sign, I think, given what I learned the last time about higher temperatures and lower smoke. I put the chicken on the grill, close the door again-- and notice the digital thermometer display is blank. I tinkered around a it to see if I could get it to come to life before I called customer service.

                          Fifteen to twenty minutes later, I had a guy on the line who told me to start unscrewing the grill off the bottom of the hopper. Once I moved enough things around, I needed to snip some of the plastic cable ties to loosen up some of the cords beneath it. That takes quite a bit of time, though-- the grate doesn't come all the way off, so you're having to wiggle around quite a bit just to get your tools close enough to make the cuts. Once that's done, I undo three of the connections-- a purple wire, a red wire, and an orange wire. Then I replace a fuse in the fuse box, plug it the orange wire, and flip the on switch. The screen lights up-- so we're on the right track. Then I put in the red wire-- still going strong. In fact, at this point, the unit starts smoking again, even before I connect the purple wire. The guy on the phone then gives me the diagnosis: a faulty heating element (fed by the purple wire) had likely blown the fuse. The good news is that the grill still works, so long as I manually start the fire, until the warrantied replacement part arrives in the mail in the next few days. Lovely, right?

                          But then I go to put the panel back in its place, a spark flies and the machine goes dead again. Another fuse, I think. By now it's clear the chicken isn't happening, so we yank it out of the smoker and put it in the oven instead. But by the time we got to way past dinner time, the interior temperature couldn't get past 120. Given that it spent almost an hour in the lukewarm oven while I was on the phone with the helpline, we take this as a sign that we shouldn't eat the darn things anyway and trash them. Hence, Culver's butter burger.

                          One home depot run later, I have a replacement 5 amp fuse to go in the place of the second fuse. Only this time, replacing the fuse has no effect at all. What I had hoped was just a burnt fuse appears to have been quite a bit more significant-- I suspect I managed to fry the circuit board altogether.

                          And the sink in which I thawed and rinsed the chicken? Turns out it grew a new leak. So we now have chicken water all over the kitchen floor. Not Traeger's fault, but it doesn't really help my mood much.
                          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                          Comment

                          • Jeff Lebowski
                            Corporate lackey for Jesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 69720

                            #1798
                            lol.

                            Sorry, that's so bad it's kind of funny.

                            Did you not crank it up during the seasoning phase?
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                            Comment

                            • All-American
                              Right, as Usual
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 15670

                              #1799
                              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              lol.

                              Sorry, that's so bad it's kind of funny.

                              Did you not crank it up during the seasoning phase?
                              I sure did. It even went past 450 at a few points. Couldn't have worked better.
                              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                              Comment

                              • smokymountainrain
                                Impressive Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 22593

                                #1800
                                Sitting on the edge of my bed reading that and chuckling to myself. Like JL said, so bad it is indeed funny.

                                Best of luck with all that, AA.
                                I'm like LeBron James.
                                -mpfunk

                                Comment

                                Working...