No announcement yet.

Time to get serious about a new smoker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wonder if it has levelers built in. That would be a major hassle without. Seems like way more work than it's worth.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      That would be annoying to have to go all the way to the observation deck to drop the coal into the chute, then all the way back down to the ground level to light it, then back up to close the chute after the coal gets going, then back down again.
      Indeed. But you would have a high-speed elevator so maybe it wouldn't be that bad. And at 1250 ft, assuming a 7-in spacing on the racks, you would have 2143 racks. At 4 butts per racks, you could do 8571 butts. That would feed approximately 103,000 people.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Indeed. But you would have a high-speed elevator so maybe it wouldn't be that bad. And at 1250 ft, assuming a 7-in spacing on the racks, you would have 2143 racks. At 4 butts per racks, you could do 8571 butts. That would feed approximately 103,000 people.
        Maybe Jesus had something like this for the whole loaves and fishes thing.
        Get confident, stupid
        -landpoke

Comment

• Dude and DDD, You still loving your Stumps? Anything you don't like about them?
          "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
            Dude and DDD, You still loving your Stumps? Anything you don't like about them?
            It is fantastic. Zero buyer remorse from me.

The only disadvantage that I can think of is that it takes up to an hour for it to get up to temp just because of the large mass of steel and insulation. But I still have my old Traeger to use for small cooks. Killer combo.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              It is fantastic. Zero buyer remorse from me.

The only disadvantage that I can think of is that it takes up to an hour for it to get up to temp just because of the large mass of steel and insulation. But I still have my old Traeger to use for small cooks. Killer combo.
              I am glad you still like it. I just committed to buying this:

It was purchased new in 01/14 and sold by the original owner after a couple months because he found out his mother had cancer. I wanted to buy it then, but didn't get the funds together in time. Fast forward to yesterday, and the guy who bought it from the original owner lists it for sale because he wants to buy a stick burner. So now I get it at an even better price. I am picking it up Sunday. I am going to keep the FEC100 for the time being until I decide whether or not I am going to like this one, but something tells me I am going to like it a lot.

Last edited by Drunk Tank; 03-05-2015, 08:00 PM.
              "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

It was purchased new in 01/14 and sold by the original owner after a couple months because he found out his mother had cancer. I wanted to buy it then, but didn't get the funds together in time. Fast forward to yesterday, and the guy who bought it from the original owner lists it for sale because he wants to buy a stick burner. So now I get it at an even better price. I am picking it up Sunday. I am going to keep the FEC100 for the time being until I decide whether or not I am going to like this one, but something tells me I am going to like it a lot.
                Can you ask the seller where they got that table? I have one that is similar to it, except the shelf under the table surface is solid stainless instead of mesh. I got my table from Costco in 2003 (it's held up really well!) so perhaps they changed the shelf since then. Probably better also ask when he bought it. If anyone else here has a Costco stainless steel table, please weigh in on when you purchased it and whether it has a solid or mesh shelf. TIA.
                "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Woohoo!

One thing that still amazes me is how precise the temps are with the CyberQ. One 1-2 degree deviation, max. Set it and forget it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                    Can you ask the seller where they got that table? I have one that is similar to it, except the shelf under the table surface is solid stainless instead of mesh. I got my table from Costco in 2003 (it's held up really well!) so perhaps they changed the shelf since then. Probably better also ask when he bought it. If anyone else here has a Costco stainless steel table, please weigh in on when you purchased it and whether it has a solid or mesh shelf. TIA.
                    i think you could probably get an autopsy table with your choice of solid or mesh shelf
                    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

I bought a narrow table from Costco to use with my smoker but it is plastic and folds up for storage. I love it.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Seville-Classi...dp/B0007LQH86/

Comment

• Got the smoker home late yesterday evening. 8 hour round trip to pick it up. I need to do a little clean up on the inside of the cooker, but nothing serious. The cooking racks are 22.5" x 27.5" and are spaced 5.5" apart on the bottom two and the top 4 are spaced 3.5" apart. I may weld in some more runners so I can play with the spacing a bit, but as it is now, with only 4 shelves in there I should be able to fit 6 butts per shelf. It came with a BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2, but the LCD isn't working properly. I knew it was messed up and the guy threw it in for free. He said it still works, just the top portion of the display is not working. I have sent an email to BBQ Guru to see if they offer some type of warranty, but I'm not holding my breath. I may just order a display (probably a $2.00 part) and solder it in if I cant get any help from BBQ Guru. I'll probably end up buying a Stoker from Rock's BBQ since it allows you to run several temp probes instead of just 1, and it is wifi capable.

Hopefully I'll be able to get it fired up sometime soon, but since I'll be out of town this weekend, probably wont be until next week.

So, JL and DDD, are you using lump charcoal or do you use briquettes? Do you put wood chunks in the ash pan or are you missing the chunks in the chute with the charcoal?

Comment

Got the smoker home late yesterday evening. 8 hour round trip to pick it up. I need to do a little clean up on the inside of the cooker, but nothing serious. The cooking racks are 22.5" x 27.5" and are spaced 5.5" apart on the bottom two and the top 4 are spaced 3.5" apart. I may weld in some more runners so I can play with the spacing a bit, but as it is now, with only 4 shelves in there I should be able to fit 6 butts per shelf. It came with a BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2, but the LCD isn't working properly. I knew it was messed up and the guy threw it in for free. He said it still works, just the top portion of the display is not working. I have sent an email to BBQ Guru to see if they offer some type of warranty, but I'm not holding my breath. I may just order a display (probably a $2.00 part) and solder it in if I cant get any help from BBQ Guru. I'll probably end up buying a Stoker from Rock's BBQ since it allows you to run several temp probes instead of just 1, and it is wifi capable.
                            Don't know about the Stoker. My CyberQ has one pit probe and three food temp probes. Wifi compatible, but I haven't used that much.

Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                            Hopefully I'll be able to get it fired up sometime soon, but since I'll be out of town this weekend, probably wont be until next week.

So, JL and DDD, are you using lump charcoal or do you use briquettes? Do you put wood chunks in the ash pan or are you missing the chunks in the chute with the charcoal?
                            Kingsford Comp briquettes. I bought a big stash last summer when Costco had it on sale for the FOJ weekend. DDD buys his from Walmart at a similar rate. One drawback (allegedly) of using lump charcoal is that they could bridge in your chute if you had some funky shapes.

Definitely put the wood chunks in the pan, not in the chute. They burn just fine from the radiant heat. It might take you a while to get the hang of how much to use. I generally fill up most of the pan to begin with and that is it. When I have added chunks later in the smoke, it sometimes overdoes it.

Comment

So you'll be out of town this whole weekend? And you keep the unit on your back patio? What's the address?
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I should be able to fit 6 butts per shelf.
                                do you have to move shelves during the cook or does it really do 24 butts evenly? if so that is amazing
                                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Working...
                                X