Talking Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Well, the turkey wasn't that bad. Surprisingly, it has been quite good in leftovers. We had some excellent smoked turkey quesadillas last night.
    Jeff Lebowski, you eat turkey the night before thanksgiving as well as on thanksgiving?
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      Jeff Lebowski, you eat turkey the night before thanksgiving as well as on thanksgiving?
      You missed one of my posts earlier in the thread. Due to a combination of family circumstances and travel we elected to have our big turkey dinner on Sunday.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Just pulled the bird out of the brine and it's now in the trash can cooker.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

Comment

Just pulled the bird out of the brine and put it in the smoker.
          I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

You missed one of my posts earlier in the thread. Due to a combination of family circumstances and travel we elected to have our big turkey dinner on Sunday.
            Whoops, sorry. I'm generally a student of your posts.

At any rate, the pics looked nice.
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

I smoked another turkey on the big green egg. Great results, no pic (looked like the last one). Nice smokey flavor. I used hickory, but really wish I had apple, cherry, or pecan. Hickory to me seems a little strong for poultry.

The second turkey I cooked in the Traeger. I have only cooked twice on this new Traeger, and as such, I put a digital smoker thermometer just above the grate to compare with the Trager digital thermometer. There was a 75 degree difference! I thought that maybe my smoker thermometer was broken, but the dome thermometer was reading much higher than both the others. Upon investigating, I found that the RTD on the Traeger was touching the outside wall of the smoker causing it to read cold. When I corrected that, all the temps evened out.

I decided to roast this turkey whole, unlike the one on the egg. After brining for 24 hours, I salted and peppered the cavity and stuffed the bird with a quatered apple, quartered onion, smashed garlic cloves, a quartered lemon and some rosemary and thyme sprigs. I then rubbed it down with olive oil and sprinkled it with some salt & pepper and Weber's Kick'n Chicken. I cooked the birds in a roasting pan because I needed pan drippings for gravy. I then poured some turkey stock in the bottom of the roasting pan and poured 1/2 bottle of white wine over the turkey and in the cavity. To the pan I added a bit of Old Bay seasoning as well.

I cooked it at 325, basting it every 20 minutes after the first 2 hours. It turned out great! I ended up covering the breast with loose foil after the 2 hour mark because I thought it was going to get too dark. I ended up with it being too light, but still very tasty. The pan drippings and gravy made from the drippings was awesome. Some of the best I've had.

I am turkey'd out. 3 turkeys in 2 weeks is enough. Christmas will be prime rib or ham and for New Years I think I will do surf and turf.
              "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

So I did the Alton Brown method from the link I posted earlier. Comparing what I perceive to be the effort and work yall put into your birds with what I did for mine, I think AB's recipe is far and away the easiest way to get great tasting turkey. Between preparing the brine and cooking the bird I estimate that I put in a total of 45 minutes to an hour of actual work spread out over an 18 hour period and I slept for 8 of those hours.

The turkey was a big hit, everyone loved it, and I feel like if (or when) I do this again, that's the only way I'll do it. Nothing against yall with your traegers and eggs and all, but I'm all about minimum effort for maximum yield and I think AB's recipe hits the sweet spot.
                Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                  So I did the Alton Brown method from the link I posted earlier. Comparing what I perceive to be the effort and work yall put into your birds with what I did for mine, I think AB's recipe is far and away the easiest way to get great tasting turkey. Between preparing the brine and cooking the bird I estimate that I put in a total of 45 minutes to an hour of actual work spread out over an 18 hour period and I slept for 8 of those hours.

The turkey was a big hit, everyone loved it, and I feel like if (or when) I do this again, that's the only way I'll do it. Nothing against yall with your traegers and eggs and all, but I'm all about minimum effort for maximum yield and I think AB's recipe hits the sweet spot.
                  Nothing wrong with simple!
                  "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Whoa DT, when did you get the new Traeger? You decide to dump your old one?
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                      Nothing wrong with simple!
                      that's right, and anyone who is intimidated by cooking turkey needs to use AB's recipe. It's as easy as boiling water, which is about the most difficult thing you have to do for it.
                      Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                      God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                      Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Whoa DT, when did you get the new Traeger? You decide to dump your old one?
                        Costco had a Traeger roadshow a few months back. I got it for $799.00, but I had a $300 credit, so it seemed like less. I am in the process of selling my other. It sits lonely in the garage.

Comment

I ended up using the Alton Brown brine with a couple of modifications - couldn't find vegatable broth so I ended up making my own and I couldn't find candied ginger so I just used fresh.

The bird turned out awesome. Wife still insists it is the best turkey she's ever had.

I didn't take any photos - and really this method of cooking doesn't turn out a pretty bird anyway so it doesn't matter. I used an Ultimate Turkey Cooker - which is part convection oven and part dutch oven - and which cooks the turkey relatively quick (90 minutes for an 18 lb. bird) but also cooks it in a manner that I've never seen the skin get crispy or go dark.

So if you like the skin, I suppose this isn't the best way to go. If you like a moist and tender turkey quick, it's great. Has me ready to do a little more brine experimentation now...

Comment

I'll be cooking for first bird this week (JL, this is really the only reason I complained about having the sister missionaries over, as added pressure). We haven't finished the backyard yet, so I don't have any fun toys, so this will have to take place inside in the oven. Sounds like the Alton Brown brine pre-game soak is the way to go. Thoughts?
                            I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                              I'll be cooking for first bird this week (JL, this is really the only reason I complained about having the sister missionaries over, as added pressure). We haven't finished the backyard yet, so I don't have any fun toys, so this will have to take place inside in the oven. Sounds like the Alton Brown brine pre-game soak is the way to go. Thoughts?

Yes.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                                Yes.
                                2x. I've done this method 5 years in a row and never had a bad bird.
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X