Talking Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talking Turkey

I'm looking for some ideas on cooking up the bird in a couple of weeks.

I've tried the deep frying thing. It's pretty good, but labor intensive.

My wife turned me on to the "Ultimate Turkey Cooker" a couple of years ago, and it is now my favorite method of cooking the big bird. It's like an oversized dutch oven with a cone in the center that you place the cavity of the bird over. The thing cooks in about 90 minutes and comes out amazing.

What I'm really interested in is learning how to prepare the bird for cooking. To be honest, I've never done much in this regard. Maybe rub some butter on it and then shake some basic (very basic) spices over the top. They always turn out good, but I'm ready to try for something that will never be forgotten.

Anyone use a brine? What is the process? What does the brine do and how does it improve the bird?

What about "flavor injectors". They've got me curious, but not quite to the point of picking up a big needle yet.

What do you do to get the bird ready for cooking?

Tandoori turkey.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Alton Brown has a good turkey brine recipe. There are sites out there that detail their results of using his method.
      Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
      God forgives many things for an act of mercy
      Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

[YOUTUBE]kZedGJpcAik[/YOUTUBE]
        "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
        "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
        This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
        "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
        "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
          Alton Brown has a good turkey brine recipe. There are sites out there that detail their results of using his method.
          Thanks - I'll have to take a closer look at that.

The Tandoori Turkey sounded intriguing, but ultimately it seems like I found too many examples of it not going well to experiment this time around.

Does the brine really make that big of a difference? Or is this one of those cooking things that just gives too little return on the investment of time and hassle to do it?

Comment

Eddie Jones, there is a turkey thread here or on CG. You may want to search for it because it had some great info in it. Does anyone else remember that thread? I think it went into more detail on the deep fry stuff, particularly.
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
              Eddie Jones, there is a turkey thread here or on CG. You may want to search for it because it had some great info in it. Does anyone else remember that thread? I think it went into more detail on the deep fry stuff, particularly.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
                Sorry!

I always mix up undead corpses and Laker guards.
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                  The Tandoori Turkey sounded intriguing, but ultimately it seems like I found too many examples of it not going well to experiment this time around.
                  Modern Family joke.
                  So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

One thing I've done occasionally is instead of stuffing the bird, I place an orange and lemon in the cavity and then roast it as normal. It gives the meat an interesting flavor. I liked it.

The downside is if you use the drippings for gravy it gives the gravy an odd flavor.
                    Last edited by happyone; 11-08-2010, 01:22 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                      Modern Family joke.
                      Gotcha. Not a show I've ever seen, though I've heard it's good.

Comment

Originally posted by happyone View Post
                        One thing I've done occasionally is instead of stuffing the bird, I place an orange and lemon in the cavity and then roast it as normal. It gives the meat an interesting flavor. I liked it.

The downside is if you use the dripping for graving it give the gravy an odd flavor.
                        That does sound interesting. Unfortunately we'll be cooking the bird standing on end over a cone, so putting something else in the cavity isn't an option.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                          I found it - including a couple of brine recipes.

Thanks for the tip!

Comment

We're frying a turkey on Saturday. Can't wait!
                            Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

I've never found frying to be labor intensive. I am a solid convert to frying and do it every year at Christmas and thanksgiving. I am hauling up my set up to Utah to let the family partake too.
                              Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X