Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The last few years, this is how I keep the Turkey(s) cold during brining:
    2E338E8A-C55E-48B1-8297-46F27AF5DC02.jpeg
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
      The last few years, this is how I keep the Turkey(s) cold during brining:
      I just put mine in the extra refrigerator in the garage.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post

I don’t have room for a turkey in there, let alone two.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post

I guess if you have the room in there it helps keep the temperature regular, but I’m guessing you don’t need to worry about it being too warm in Idaho outside overnight in November.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post

I guess if you have the room in there it helps keep the temperature regular, but I’m guessing you don’t need to worry about it being too warm in Idaho outside overnight in November.
            Sure, but I want it to thaw from frozen.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
              The last few years, this is how I keep the Turkey(s) cold during brining:

Hey whatever works!

thanksgiving is usually cold enough for me to just keep the 5 gallon bucket outside. But today the high will be 48. I piled some snow around the bucket just to be safe.
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                [/COLOR]

Hey whatever works!

thanksgiving is usually cold enough for me to just keep the 5 gallon bucket outside. But today the high will be 48. I piled some snow around the bucket just to be safe.
                I've heard if you put ice in with the water that it's fine as long as there's still ice. The snow probably works just as good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

I've heard if you put ice in with the water that it's fine as long as there's still ice. The snow probably works just as good.
                  Yeah I usually use ice just to cool down the brine. It takes FOREVER for it to cool down once I've dissolved the solutes and I get impatient. But yes on warmer nights I will add a few cubes if they're still not there.
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

• Only three of us at home this year, but we're going to have the big dinner with extended family. I offered to cook the turkey, because my mom tends to over-do it and dry it out (same with ham), but she told me my sister was cooking it instead. I'm having this urge to spatchcock a bird and cook it anyway - but that might just have to be for a different weekend.

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                    Lately I have seen people try to argue that mac n cheese is a Thanksgiving food.

I'm not sure what is going on there.
                    My wife went to Smiths to pick up some tater tots for something she was making and they were out. The lady refilling stuff in the frozen aisle told her that it's because tater tot casserole is apparently a thanksgiving tradition in Utah. I have never heard of that - but maybe that's what you serve with the mac and cheese?

Comment

• I spatchcocked a turkey and put it on the Traeger. I've done a spatchcocked chicken before but this will be my first turkey on the Traeger.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                        Was thinking about this chart when I looked up what the danger zone was. The published danger zone is 40-140. I think the high end is really closer to 135.

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post

Tip no. 3: separate the parts.

The truth is that turkeys were not designed to be cooked whole. The part that will cook fastest, the breast, is the part you want to keep at a lower temperature, and the part you need to get up to 185, the thigh, won't get there until the very end. Take a few minutes to pull the thing apart. There's something oddly empowering about deconstructing the turkey, but more importantly you will be able to manage the temps of the individual cuts to get each part just right. Then you can give the legs to the two cavemen of your party, hot-temped thigh meat to the savory minded, and perfectly moist breast meat to the rest. (This comes at the cost of your Norman Rockwell moment, admittedly, and I don't discount the value of tradition lightly. I mean, if you really wanted the best turkey possible, you'd ditch it altogether and smoke a brisket.)
                          Looking back in 2019 I didn't heed your advice about letting the turkey dry long enough after brining. But still, an hour today did help a little.

But I did follow tip #3! Glad I did. It took an hour off of cook time though, so I had to turn down the heat for timing dinner. But that came with more smoke flavor, so good!

- SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                            This is a guy I follow on YouTube. Reading AA's tips reminded me of this video I watched a couple of weeks ago. I might try it this year:

I did this method for our “leftovers” turkey. Incredibly easy, cooks super fast, and very easy to cut up and serve when it’s ready. I’ll probably do this again.

Comment

• I was undecided on whether to spatchcock or break it down into parts until last night when I salted it. Turns out that 5 days in the garage refrigerator doesn't really defrost the bird that much. It was still pretty much encased in ice.

I tried using salt to thaw it and when that didn't work quickly enough, I thawed it in a sink of cold water. It was still pretty frozen after that step, so I quartered it, salted all the pieces, and then put the quartered pieces on a rack on a pan back in the garage fridge.

I think next time is going to be a wet brine to make sure it's fully thawed.

I got it out and seasoned it all over with parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme. Put everything on the smoker at 450 for about 30 minutes before turning it down to 225. I was getting a bit anxious, so I pulled everything when the breasts were registering 149 degrees. By then, the thighs were around 190.

I kept them in the oven at 170 until the guests arrived. After wrestling the frozen, raw bird the previous night, I didn't really want to carve it. I delegated that to my sister-in-law. She threw out most all of the crispy, seasoned skin, which was frustrating but serves me right for delegating.

Turned out quite tasty.
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• I'm thinking that I'd like to take a marriage sabbatical and live in Turkey for a year - all by myself. Was thinking Kas - on the southwestern coast. I lived in Turkey back in 66-68, and I'd like to come full circle as it's been something I've thought a lot over the years. Wife won't go - so I would go without her. Kind of 50/50 and floating the idea.

Do any of you know of someone that just wanted a pause in their life - and gone off and done something for themselves for a year. Would your wife support such an idea?

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                                -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Working...
                                X