Royal India in Bountiful

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Portland Ute
    Junior Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 5647

    #1

    Royal India in Bountiful

    has gone down hill in amazing fashion.

    It used to be very solid Indian.

    Now, it barely resembles anything you might call INdian food.

    We used to go there fairly frequently because it was the only Indian in Davis County. When Taste of India opened almost 2 years ago, we started going there because it was closer.

    I was in Bountiful tonight and thought we'd get take out.

    It was awful.

    I swear the chicken was boiled and then put into some sauce meant to resemble an Indian sauce. The chicken in the butter chicken and the chicken korma must seemed to have been boiled...I should say over boiled... to the point of being rubbery and tasteless.

    The Naan was stale to the point of being stiff like cardboard and had a "bandaid" type flavor.

    About the only thing nice I can say about the place is that the woman who took my order and then took payment was very, very nice. Also, the lamb (I sure hope that's what it really was) in the so-called "lamb vindaloo" was very tender. The sauce was basically ketchup, but the meat was tender.

    Avoid this place at all costs.
  • old_gregg
    scaly man fish
    • Nov 2009
    • 16915

    #2
    That's too bad. I live in bountiful and used to eat there before I started going to the himalayan kitchen, but thought it was awesome when I went.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

    Comment

    • SteelBlue
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 8189

      #3
      Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
      The Naan was stale to the point of being stiff like cardboard and had a "bandaid" type flavor.
      Mmmmm, band aids. I never much liked Indian food anyway; venison, buffalo, acorn mash. I mean geez, can we get more than 3 things on the menu?

      Comment

      • Portland Ute
        Junior Member
        • Dec 2008
        • 5647

        #4
        Originally posted by camleish View Post
        That's too bad. I live in bountiful and used to eat there before I started going to the himalayan kitchen, but thought it was awesome when I went.
        I still haven't been to Himalayan Kitchen. I really do need to try it some time.

        Taste of India is just closer and it's so good I have no real impetus to try something else.

        Comment

        • Mrs. Funk
          Lawyer Wannabe
          • Nov 2008
          • 2690

          #5
          Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
          I still haven't been to Himalayan Kitchen. I really do need to try it some time.

          Taste of India is just closer and it's so good I have no real impetus to try something else.
          I liked Taste of India, but I like Himalayan a lot better. We also have become somewhat of friends with one of the waiters, and he always makes sure our food is inferno spicy. (A gift that keeps on giving, no?)
          "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

          Comment

          • old_gregg
            scaly man fish
            • Nov 2009
            • 16915

            #6
            Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
            I still haven't been to Himalayan Kitchen. I really do need to try it some time.

            Taste of India is just closer and it's so good I have no real impetus to try something else.
            restaurant.com has $25 gift certificates for $15. the lunch buffet is awesome.

            taste of india is fantastic. i'm a huge fan.
            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

            Comment

            • il Padrino Ute
              Junior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 19161

              #7
              Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
              Mmmmm, band aids. I never much liked Indian food anyway; venison, buffalo, acorn mash. I mean geez, can we get more than 3 things on the menu?
              I appreciated your post Steel even if nobody else did. But I love venison, buffalo. Mmmm, mmmm.
              "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


              "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

              Comment

              • SteelBlue
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 8189

                #8
                Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                I appreciated your post Steel even if nobody else did. But I love venison, buffalo. Mmmm, mmmm.
                Thank you ilPad, I appreciate the love.

                Comment

                • UteStar
                  Sexiest Poster in Town
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 2419

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
                  I still haven't been to Himalayan Kitchen. I really do need to try it some time.

                  Taste of India is just closer and it's so good I have no real impetus to try something else.

                  Himalayan had a bit of a break up with staff and management. A new restaurant, Kathmanduu opened up in the Millcreek area (30th South Highland Drive area) and it is very good. Himalayan has dropped a bit for me in the past 6 months, since they moved to their bigger digs. Still good, but for me, not as good as it was.

                  Ganesh in Cottonwood Heights is also very good Indian food.

                  Comment

                  • MartyFunkhouser
                    Disciple of RNGesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 18747

                    #10
                    Originally posted by UteStar View Post
                    Himalayan had a bit of a break up with staff and management. A new restaurant, Kathmanduu opened up in the Millcreek area (30th South Highland Drive area) and it is very good. Himalayan has dropped a bit for me in the past 6 months, since they moved to their bigger digs. Still good, but for me, not as good as it was.

                    Ganesh in Cottonwood Heights is also very good Indian food.
                    Interesting, I haven't noticed any dip in quality with Himalayan since they changed to the new place.
                    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                    --Kendrick Lamar

                    Comment

                    • Portland Ute
                      Junior Member
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 5647

                      #11
                      Changes in ownership kill restaurants.

                      mp was present when I had another bad experience with a change in ownership. Years ago, there was a very good Indian place in Hillsboro, OR. I moved away from Portland.

                      A year or two later, I was once again in Portland and mp came to dinner with my wife and I. We went to the INdian place. It had changed ownership and it sucked.

                      But it's suckitude was mild compared to the depths of Royal India.

                      Changes in ownership nearly killed off Cafe Madrid, too. I still don't think it's as good as it was under the original owner...it's gotten far too sheeshee. I prefer the classic Spanish fare to the trendier Spanish. However, at least it's decent again. It won't make you quit pining for Spain, but it will at least take the edge off. In the end, it's kind of like dry humping a paella and tortilla instead of getting the real deal.
                      Last edited by Portland Ute; 07-16-2010, 11:38 PM.

                      Comment

                      • Clark Addison
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 10305

                        #12
                        I ate at Himalayan when I was out in Utah a couple of weeks ago. I had not been there before, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I thought it was pretty good.

                        Comment

                        • Hot Lunch
                          Out of Office
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 7842

                          #13
                          Originally posted by camleish View Post
                          restaurant.com has $25 gift certificates for $15. the lunch buffet is awesome.

                          taste of india is fantastic. i'm a huge fan.
                          You need to get on restaurant.com's email list. They will do promotions where you can get those $25 gift certificates during the month for around $2 with a promotional code.
                          "Take it to the Bank"

                          Comment

                          • old_gregg
                            scaly man fish
                            • Nov 2009
                            • 16915

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                            You need to get on restaurant.com's email list. They will do promotions where you can get those $25 gift certificates during the month for around $2 with a promotional code.
                            Wow, I did not know that. Done.
                            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                            Comment

                            • Hot Lunch
                              Out of Office
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 7842

                              #15
                              Originally posted by camleish View Post
                              Wow, I did not know that. Done.
                              I have never paid full price for their gift certificates. I think I get an email from them once a week with the discount ranging anywhere from 50% to 80%. When I get the 80% code email I usually buy 3 or 4 gift certificates to the restaurants they have that my wife and I like.
                              "Take it to the Bank"

                              Comment

                              Working...