Bison Lentil Chili

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Mrs. Funk
    Lawyer Wannabe
    • Nov 2008
    • 2690

    #1

    Bison Lentil Chili

    The beauty of chili is that, in my opinion, it's really whatever you feel like. It's pretty difficult to screw up chili. It typically involves dumping various cans into a big pot and seasoning them together. It ends up being whatever beans and junk I have in my cabinet. I like using ground bison because it has a soft, woody flavor and about half the fat of ground beef. It's now available at many local Utah grocery stores, including Harmons and Sunflower Market.

    I don't use an exact recipe, but here's an approximation of what I made today.

    Ingredients:
    1 1/4 c. whole dry lentils (rinse in a colander, drain, and set aside)
    1 lb. ground bison
    1 shallot
    2-3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
    3-4 cans of basically whatever beans you want, undrained (I used kidney and black beans today. Also good: Garbanzo beans, butter beans, chili beans, whole pinto beans)
    1 can diced tomatoes, undrained (or use fresh; add about 1/2 c. liquid of some variety if using fresh)
    1 small can low-sodium tomato sauce
    1 can corn, undrained (optional, but it makes it colorful)
    1 can diced beets, undrained (also optional but it adds lots of pretty color to the broth and lots of good texture)
    1/3 c. red wine (also optional, but hello? Red wine makes almost everything better).
    1ish c. stock of some sort (I had homemade chicken stock in my freezer, so I used that. Turned out fine)
    Seasonings: Lots of chili powder, kosher salt and cracked pepper, Tabasco sauce, dash of paprika, splash of lemon juice and red wine vinegar, dash of cayenne. This is totally a matter of taste. I like a strong acidic and very spicy chili. You can made it as brave or as tame as you want.

    Direction:
    1. Lentils first. Rinse and drain those suckers. Put them in at 5 qt. pot and cover with 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 40 minutes.
    2. Bison next. Chop the shallot and garlic and brown with the bison in 1 tsp. vegetable oil. Cook thoroughly.
    3. Start opening cans like a madman. Basically, if it's in a can, dump it in a big pot at this point. DON'T DRAIN THE CANS. Add the liquids (red wine and stock) to the mix.
    4. Dump the browned bison into the pot. (Seriously, chili is so ridiculously easy it's almost embarrassing).
    5. Bring everything to a boil and start dumping in seasonings. I probably use 2 Tbsp. of chili powder, 2 Tbsp. salt, I crack black pepper till my wrist hurts, and dump in ingredients until it tastes right to me. Not rocket science, people.
    6. When the lentils are done, drain them (much of the water will have absorbed into the lentils themselves) and dump them into the pot with the rest of the ingredients.
    7. Serve with a dab of sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese if you so desire.
    "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge
  • il Padrino Ute
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 19161

    #2
    That looks like it would be very good.
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

    Comment

    • TripletDaddy
      sweet triple
      • Nov 2008
      • 58186

      #3
      this looks good, mrs. funk.

      the bison and lentil probably packs a mean protein punch, so probably a good source for fitday purposes.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

      sigpic

      Comment

      • Indy Coug
        Heartless Bastard
        • Dec 2008
        • 18747

        #4
        Living in Colorado opened up the world of bison meat to me and my family. Good stuff.
        Everything in life is an approximation.

        http://twitter.com/CougarStats

        Comment

        • smokymountainrain
          Impressive Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 22593

          #5
          Originally posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
          The beauty of chili is that, in my opinion, it's really whatever you feel like. It's pretty difficult to screw up chili. It typically involves dumping various cans into a big pot and seasoning them together. It ends up being whatever beans and junk I have in my cabinet. I like using ground bison because it has a soft, woody flavor and about half the fat of ground beef. It's now available at many local Utah grocery stores, including Harmons and Sunflower Market.

          I don't use an exact recipe, but here's an approximation of what I made today.

          Ingredients:
          1 1/4 c. whole dry lentils (rinse in a colander, drain, and set aside)
          1 lb. ground bison
          1 shallot
          2-3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
          3-4 cans of basically whatever beans you want, undrained (I used kidney and black beans today. Also good: Garbanzo beans, butter beans, chili beans, whole pinto beans)
          1 can diced tomatoes, undrained (or use fresh; add about 1/2 c. liquid of some variety if using fresh)
          1 small can low-sodium tomato sauce
          1 can corn, undrained (optional, but it makes it colorful)
          1 can diced beets, undrained (also optional but it adds lots of pretty color to the broth and lots of good texture)
          1/3 c. red wine (also optional, but hello? Red wine makes almost everything better).
          1ish c. stock of some sort (I had homemade chicken stock in my freezer, so I used that. Turned out fine)
          Seasonings: Lots of chili powder, kosher salt and cracked pepper, Tabasco sauce, dash of paprika, splash of lemon juice and red wine vinegar, dash of cayenne. This is totally a matter of taste. I like a strong acidic and very spicy chili. You can made it as brave or as tame as you want.

          Direction:
          1. Lentils first. Rinse and drain those suckers. Put them in at 5 qt. pot and cover with 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 40 minutes.
          2. Bison next. Chop the shallot and garlic and brown with the bison in 1 tsp. vegetable oil. Cook thoroughly.
          3. Start opening cans like a madman. Basically, if it's in a can, dump it in a big pot at this point. DON'T DRAIN THE CANS. Add the liquids (red wine and stock) to the mix.
          4. Dump the browned bison into the pot. (Seriously, chili is so ridiculously easy it's almost embarrassing).
          5. Bring everything to a boil and start dumping in seasonings. I probably use 2 Tbsp. of chili powder, 2 Tbsp. salt, I crack black pepper till my wrist hurts, and dump in ingredients until it tastes right to me. Not rocket science, people.
          6. When the lentils are done, drain them (much of the water will have absorbed into the lentils themselves) and dump them into the pot with the rest of the ingredients.
          7. Serve with a dab of sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese if you so desire.
          Ward chili cook off tomorrow, I now have my recipe. Thanks!
          I'm like LeBron James.
          -mpfunk

          Comment

          • Mrs. Funk
            Lawyer Wannabe
            • Nov 2008
            • 2690

            #6
            Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
            Ward chili cook off tomorrow, I now have my recipe. Thanks!
            No problem. Let me know how it turns out.
            "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

            Comment

            • smokymountainrain
              Impressive Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 22593

              #7
              Originally posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
              No problem. Let me know how it turns out.
              The chili turned out great - although I'm sure it wasn't nearly as good as you made it. As far as the ward thing, I was the victim of a stuffed ballot so I didn't win, but I had more than a handful of people tell me I was robbed. Seriously, despite the fact that I can't cook and don't really even like chili, it was excellent.
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

              Comment

              Working...