No announcement yet.

Sous Vide cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this thing is life changing. it turned some cheap ish ny strips pretty dang good, and skin on chicken thighs with a little sear turned out great. going to give scallops a try tonight.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
      this thing is life changing. it turned some cheap ish ny strips pretty dang good, and skin on chicken thighs with a little sear turned out great. going to give scallops a try tonight.
      Told you.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

Let us know how the scallops turn out. Been wanting to give that a try.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Mine just arrived. Haven't had a chance to use it yet. Hopefully soon.
          "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Rack of lamb with rosemary and garlic. So tender.
            "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post
              Rack of lamb with rosemary and garlic. So tender.
              Lamb is one of the first things I tried also. Here is a leg of lamb:

1902824_10153060989200739_418494235894943223_n.jpg
              You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
              Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
              You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                Lamb is one of the first things I tried also. Here is a leg of lamb:
                Wow!

Deets please. How long? What temp?
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

target had them on sale, so i bought an extra one. we did chicken thighs and salmon for eight people on sunday, and i didn't love the way either turned out. they were cooked perfectly, but there was too much dill in the chicken recipe and costco didn't have skin-on salmon, so we couldn't really get a good sear on the bbq for fear of overcooking. we seared the chicken in two le cruesets on the stove, and there was enough water content in the chicken even after thoroughly patting dry that it made a huge mess.

Spoiler for money shot:
                  Last edited by old_gregg; 11-01-2016, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Wow!

Deets please. How long? What temp?
                    That particular one was 8 hrs @ 130°; finished in a 550° oven using convection heat for ~5 minutes.

target had them on sale, so i bought an extra one. we did chicken thighs and salmon for eight people on sunday, and i didn't love the way either turned out. they were cooked perfectly, but there was too much dill in the chicken recipe and costco didn't have skin-on salmon, so we could really get a good sear on the bbq for fear of overcooking. we seared the chicken in two le cruesets on the stove, and there was enough water content in the chicken even after thoroughly patting dry that it made a huge mess.

Spoiler for money shot:
                    Chicken and fish are both tricky in sous vide as it becomes possible to overcook each (rendering the meat "mushy") in a relatively short amount of time.

As always, Kenji from serious eats does the legwork for us (trigger warning for YO... contains pictures of delicious food prepared using the sous vide method):

The Food Lab's Complete Guide to Sous Vide Chicken Breast

The Food Lab's Complete Guide to Sous Vide Salmon
                    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

what's the rule of thumb for how much food to put in one container of liquid controlled by an immersion circulator? i was hesitant to put more than two bags of six thighs each in those stock pots.

Comment

No real rule of thumb that I know of, someone else may know of one. But always make sure you have sufficient water circulation between the bags and make sure they are completely submerged. If you are concerned, check the water temp between the bags with a instant read thermometer. Also make sure the bags aren't touching each other for the most part. I've used a rib rack to separate bags in my container before (obviously won't work for a stockpot).
                        "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Since they were $50 off (are they always $50 of?), I picked up an Anova this week and am going to break it in for Sunday dinner. I figure I should start in Sous Vide's wheelhouse, and go with steaks, but was also considering Short Ribs. Serious Eats has a ton of info on steaks, but not so much on short ribs (maybe that means I should avoid it, or that I suck at searching). Has anyone done this?

Comment

Ok, ok, I've jumped on the bandwagon. My Christmas present to myself should arrive on Tuesday. I assume I should start with steak?
                            "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                              Since they were $50 off (are they always $50 of?), I picked up an Anova this week and am going to break it in for Sunday dinner. I figure I should start in Sous Vide's wheelhouse, and go with steaks, but was also considering Short Ribs. Serious Eats has a ton of info on steaks, but not so much on short ribs (maybe that means I should avoid it, or that I suck at searching). Has anyone done this?
                              What is the difference between the one that Anova sells on their website and the one target sells (for $129)?

http://www.target.com/p/anova-sous-vide-bluetooth-precision-cooker/-/A-50496808

It seems one has wifi so you can cook things remotely.
                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                                What is the difference between the one that Anova sells on their website and the one target sells (for $129)?

http://www.target.com/p/anova-sous-vide-bluetooth-precision-cooker/-/A-50496808

It seems one has wifi so you can cook things remotely.
                                One is Bluetooth and one is Wi-Fi. You should buy the cheaper one, (Bluetooth), because you don't need any kind of wireless capability with this thing. I haven't used it a single time. All you need to do a spin the dial with your thumb to set the temperature and push the start button. That's it.

Comment

Working...
                                X