Sous Vide cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

Not sure, but my guess would be you did them around 140-145 (which still sounds low for pork) but by the time you seared, they were tough and dry. Trust the 134 temp for 2-3 hours with a 90 second finishing sear per side. Also, make sure you dry them off well before searing, to get the best crust. A wet pork chop will create steam and won't sear as well.
    Thanks for the tips - definitely going to retry.

Comment

• Did pork tenderloin. 140 then seared and then glazed with the raspberry Chipotle sauce. Delicious
      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• IMG_3906.jpeg

IMG_3904.jpeg

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
        Sous Vide cooking

Last Sunday I cooked a chuck roast. Not a particularly quality cut of meat. I seared first and then cooked sous vide for 18 hours at 131. After removing from the bag, I egg washed it and hit it with a rub of salt, pepper, fresh rosemary and fresh thyme. Seared in the oven at 450 for 15 mins. Results were amazing. However as good as it was with gravy and mashed potatoes, it was even better a couple of days later in a sandwich. Seriously, the best roast beef sandwich I’ve ever had. Just wish there had been more leftovers. I plan to do it again and do a two roasts: one for Sunday dinner and one for sandwiches/stroganoff. Super good.
        Did this recipe again. It’s my favorite way to do a Chuck roast. Such good flavor combinations and the drippings make an awesome gravy.

the one I did today was a bigger roast so I let it go for 20 hours at 132. Then I seared at 450 for 20 mins. The fattest part was a nice med rare and the thinner part was medium. Worked out well for our guests who preferred medium.

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Looks and sounds excellent, DH. For the cooking novices (i.e., me), how does one egg wash a chuck roast?

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
            Looks and sounds excellent, DH. For the cooking novices (i.e., me), how does one egg wash a chuck roast?
            Here’s how I do it: two egg whites and a teaspoon of water whisked in a small bowl. Then I use a basting brush and brush liberally on one side of the roast. Then I hit that side with salt, pepper and finely chopped rosemary and thyme. Then I flip it over and repeat. Then I hit the edges with the egg wash and try to pick up any loose seasons remnants on the cutting board.

The egg wash helps the seasonings stick and also creates a nice, crisp crust from the sear.
            Last edited by Donuthole; 08-21-2023, 09:16 AM.
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Here’s how I do it: two egg whites and a teaspoon of water whisked in a small bowl. Then I use a basting brush and brush liberally on one side of the roast. Then I hit that side with pepper and finely chopped rosemary and thyme. Then I flip it over and repeat. Then I hit the edges with the egg wash and try to pick up any loose seasons remnants on the cutting board.

The egg wash helps the seasonings stick and also creates a nice, crisp crust from the sear.
              Thanks. Think I’ll give this a shot very soon.

Comment

• "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

IMG_3906.jpeg

IMG_3904.jpeg

Did this recipe again. It’s my favorite way to do a Chuck roast. Such good flavor combinations and the drippings make an awesome gravy.

the one I did today was a bigger roast so I let it go for 20 hours at 132. Then I seared at 450 for 20 mins. The fattest part was a nice med rare and the thinner part was medium. Worked out well for our guests who preferred medium.
                  I would have thought chuck roast would need to get to a much higher temp to break down the connective tissue. Comes out tender?
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Whoa! I gotta get a sous vide machine.

Comment

Here’s how I do it: two egg whites and a teaspoon of water whisked in a small bowl. Then I use a basting brush and brush liberally on one side of the roast. Then I hit that side with pepper and finely chopped rosemary and thyme. Then I flip it over and repeat. Then I hit the edges with the egg wash and try to pick up any loose seasons remnants on the cutting board.

The biggest gripe I've always had about my sous vide attempts was the sear. If this method works, you may have cracked the code.
                      "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

The biggest gripe I've always had about my sous vide attempts was the sear. If this method works, you may have cracked the code.
                        Generally speaking, I have no problem getting a good reverse sear using cast iron. I do that for steaks, chicken, pork chops, and pork loin. But I wanted a way to get a good crust on a roast while leaving me free to work on the other things (gravy, mashed potatoes, etc.). After some googling, this is what I came up with. BTW, normally when I sous vide I don't sear the meat before placing in the bag. With the roast, I sear first on a hot cast iron pan, place it in the bag and the sous vide bath. Then I do a final sear with the egg-wash method once I pull from the sous vide. The combination of the pre-sear and the egg-wash sear seems to promote a better crust on a roast than just the egg-wash sear.

Also, this particular chuck roast was close to 3.5" thick at the thickest point. Most chuck roasts I see are closer to 2" or 2.5" thick. At 2" thick, you only need 12-15 mins in the oven for med rare. Also, when I sear in the oven, I place some foil on a baking sheet, then use a cooling rack over that and place the roast onto the rack. I don't know if it's necessary, but I flip the roast over after half the sear time.
                        Last edited by Donuthole; 08-21-2023, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Generally speaking, I have no problem getting a good reverse sear using cast iron. I do that for steaks, chicken, pork chops, and pork loin. But I wanted a way to get a good crust on a roast while leaving me free to work on the other things (gravy, mashed potatoes, etc.). After some googling, this is what I came up with. BTW, normally when I sous vide I don't sear the meat before placing in the bag. With the roast, I sear first on a hot cast iron pan, place it in the bag and the sous vide bath. Then I do a final sear with the egg-wash method once I pull from the sous vide. The combination of the pre-sear and the egg-wash sear seems to promote a better crust on a roast than just the egg-wash sear.

Also, this particular chuck roast was close to 3.5" thick at the thickest point. Most chuck roasts I see are closer to 2" or 2.5" thick. At 2" thick, you only need 12-15 mins in the oven for med rare. Also, when I sear in the oven, I place some foil on a baking sheet, then use a cooling rack over that and place the roast onto the rack. I don't know if it's necessary, but I flip the roast over after half the sear time.
                          I was wondering about that. I like your process.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                            Whoa! I gotta get a sous vide machine.
                            yes you do. for many other reasons than just the chuck roast donut method.
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post

yes you do. for many other reasons than just the chuck roast donut method.
                              I know. And probably not the first time I've made that remark. Change is glacial.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

I know. And probably not the first time I've made that remark. Change is glacial.
                                i'm no different. i've been talking (and nothing more) about getting one of those pizza ovens for a couple years now. who knows when i'll finally pull the trigger.
                                I'm like LeBron James.
                                -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
                                X