Sous Vide cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
    My bish is an OG. Pro sk8r turned convert. Legit outside the box thinker who dgaf about the small stuff. Had zero hesitations with a ward “break the fast” potluck where we also rolled out this year’s ward temple/family history/mission plan. Best thing about it was he limited the presentation to 10 mins total because he didn’t want the social aspect of the get together bogged down by the administrative stuff.
    Former pro-skater, so I have to ask 2 questions: 1) Does he have any tattoos; and, 2) If yes, are the tattoos worse than a flaming skull m dot?
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• I see DH has learned that you can't be a fancy cook unless you toss in a splash of green on the top.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

We had a ward pot luck on Sunday night. A few people smoked pork shoulders/butts. Lots of sides. I still haven't joined the Smokers Club yet, so I did sous vide pork tenderloin. 3 hours at 140, then a salt, sear, and glazed with a raspberry chipotle jalapeno sauce I whipped up. Topped with some chopped parsley. Delish. I did 4 tenderloins, but could only fit 3 on the serving platter. I'll use the last one for some Tonkotsu Ramen later this week.
        This part surprised me. From everything else you're doing, I'm not sure you really even need to go down that road. If you do, start with the Dude's BBQ blog.

Comment

We had a ward pot luck on Sunday night. A few people smoked pork shoulders/butts. Lots of sides. I still haven't joined the Smokers Club yet, so I did sous vide pork tenderloin. 3 hours at 140, then a salt, sear, and glazed with a raspberry chipotle jalapeno sauce I whipped up. Topped with some chopped parsley. Delish. I did 4 tenderloins, but could only fit 3 on the serving platter. I'll use the last one for some Tonkotsu Ramen later this week.

7BAB46CF-106C-45BB-ADA4-8B1BA7222F01.jpeg
          Have you posted the recipe for that sauce here yet? Looks great - and now I'm curious as to trying the sauce.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post

Have you posted the recipe for that sauce here yet? Looks great - and now I'm curious as to trying the sauce.
            You can buy this at Harmon's and other places in Utah. It is great.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Awesome. Not home-made makes life a little easier, for sure.

Comment

• I like raspberry chipotle sauce but sometimes can't find it. Or find it in a huge jar that I will have a hard time using. So I will sometimes mix some of this:

With some chopped up chipotles from this:

To make a sauce that is similar and tasty. You can also customize the heat depending on how many chipotles and how much adobe sauce you add.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                  I like raspberry chipotle sauce but sometimes can't find it. Or find it in a huge jar that I will have a hard time using. So I will sometimes mix some of this:

With some chopped up chipotles from this:

To make a sauce that is similar and tasty. You can also customize the heat depending on how many chipotles and how much adobe sauce you add.
                  Yeah this was pretty much my recipe. Plus a dash of apple cider vinegar and a chopped jalapeño. Simmer and throw in the blender.

I like the bottle stuff JL linked but I haven’t been able to find it in LV. And I didn’t have enough lead time in this to order it ahead.
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Yeah this was pretty much my recipe. Plus a dash of apple cider vinegar and a chopped jalapeño. Simmer and throw in the blender.

I like the bottle stuff JL linked but I haven’t been able to find it in LV. And I didn’t have enough lead time in this to order it ahead.
                    They used to sell it in the larger bottles at Costco. I wish they would bring it back.

Comment

• A couple recent exploits with the sous vide machine.

Young men in our ward are doing a 40-mile hike in the Uintahs this summer. To prep, we are doing an overnight pack hike each month. Two weekends ago we did a short 8 miler (4 in, 4 back out). I wanted to spice up dinner a bit. So we took some dehydrated mashed potatoes and a Mountain House beef stew. But I also prepped sous vide a couple NY strips ahead of time and threw them, a stainless steel pan, and a cube of frozen butter into my pack.

made up the mash and stew, then seared the steaks. Used the stew as a gravy. Was amazing. Jr very much approved.

125F69F7-9D4D-4ADC-B5B4-2B8D008EA5AC.jpeg

The steaks were right between medium rare and medium, which I was fine with, considering i was searing them over a little pocket rocket in the dark. Crust was outstanding.

Yesterday we did pork chops for dinner. I made a marinade of dry rub, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. 134 on the sous vide for 2 hours. then sear on the cast iron. Per JL's prior recommendation, I take my skillet out to the burner on my old gas grill and then the smoke isn't an issue. Perfect crust, and moist and tender middle. Family devoured them.

pork chops 1 (2).jpg

pork chops 2.jpg
                      Last edited by Donuthole; 04-03-2023, 01:24 PM.
                      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Very impressive. Bravo.

Comment

• Making me hungry - those look great.

Comment

• perhaps mrs smr's favorite meal is thick pork chops done sous vide.

I just tried my hand at sous vide ribs this past weekend for the first time because i was out of wood for the smoker and while my wife and kids absolutely loved them (they are not exactly bbq connoisseurs), I much prefer traditional smoked bbq ribs.
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

Comment

• I tried the thick-cut pork chops in the sous vide once and wasn't super impressed - I'm sure I did something wrong. The taste was OK, but it just wasn't tender.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                                I tried the thick-cut pork chops in the sous vide once and wasn't super impressed - I'm sure I did something wrong. The taste was OK, but it just wasn't tender.
                                Not sure, but my guess would be you did them around 140-145 (which still sounds low for pork) but by the time you seared, they were tough and dry. Trust the 134 temp for 2-3 hours with a 90 second finishing sear per side. Also, make sure you dry them off well before searing, to get the best crust. A wet pork chop will create steam and won't sear as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X