Sous Vide cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
    Hack My Life threw a sous vide party on one of their episodes. Set the hot tub to 104 degrees, cook in hot tub for 3 hours, and invite friends over for the last hour. Drinks above water while plastic packets are floating around under water.
    Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    What were they cooking at such a low temp (other than themselves)?
    Uh, yeah, not only is it disgusting to cook food in chlorinated ass water, but nothing cooks at 104 degrees. You can’t even warm up something pre-cooked at that temp. That’s gotta be a joke/troll, right? Right?!
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Disgusting. Hard pass.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
        24 hours? I was under the impression that after eight or so hours the meat starts to disintegrate, resulting in a less than desirable texture. But if it's simply more tender, I may try this.
        I may be wrong, but I think at 130 you're still good because the connective tissue and some of the proteins haven't denatured enough to turn it to goo. I've never gotten into sous vide, but I would think 125 to 128 with a good sear would be perfect.
        sigpic
        "Outlined against a blue, gray
        October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
        Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• I did some chicken breast yesterday for my maiden voyage. I'll be honest - it was bad. I did 5 chicken breasts for about 2 hours at 150* then seared for a 2 minutes per side on the stove. Chicken was "juicy but tough". When I cook on the grill, I usually pull them at 155 which is perfect. They rise to 160 or so.

Anything in this description highlight a major issue? Maybe the chicken was just crappy.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
            I did some chicken breast yesterday for my maiden voyage. I'll be honest - it was bad. I did 5 chicken breasts for about 2 hours at 150* then seared for a 2 minutes per side on the stove. Chicken was "juicy but tough". When I cook on the grill, I usually pull them at 155 which is perfect. They rise to 160 or so.

Anything in this description highlight a major issue? Maybe the chicken was just crappy.
            150 is way too hot. You’re basically asking for leather at that temp.
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
              Cooked some chicken breasts today. Didn’t have a lot of time to prep, so I threw in a prepackaged lemon and herbs marinade and cooked them at 138 for 2 hours. Finished on the grill. They were absolutely perfect and got devoured. My somewhat picky 6yo ate a bunch and commented on how she could cut the chicken with her fork.

Bump

Comment

150 is way too hot. You’re basically asking for leather at that temp.
                Bummer. I read several sous vide recipes that said 150 was the right temp. I'll try yours.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Bummer. I read several sous vide recipes that said 150 was the right temp. I'll try yours.
                  Really? Are you sure that wasn't for bone-in? (That still seems high, but not as unreasonably high a if you were cooking boneless/skinless). 150 just seems crazy for a tried and true recipe.
                  Last edited by Donuthole; 07-23-2018, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Really? Are you sure that wasn't for bone-in? (That still seems high, but not as unreasonably high a if you were cooking boneless/skinless). 150 just seems crazy for a tried and true recipe.
                    https://www.adventuresofanurse.com/2...ast-sous-vide/ - 151*

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...chicken-breast (makers of the Joule) - 149*

https://sousvideguy.com/recipe/sous-...hicken-breast/ (ranges from 140-160, but this guy "prefers" 150)

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

When in doubt, check out seriouseats.com. What I REALLY like about it is that he has tried meats at different temperatures for different lengths of time and can give you a pretty good idea of how long to cook at what temperature to get what you like.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/...en-breast.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                        When in doubt, check out seriouseats.com. What I REALLY like about it is that he has tried meats at different temperatures for different lengths of time and can give you a pretty good idea of how long to cook at what temperature to get what you like.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/...en-breast.html
                        From that article:

Yet sous vide–style precision cooking often takes place well below the 140°F mark, in excess of four hours, and my own recommendation for cooking chicken falls in the 145–150°F range, well below the 165°F target we've all learned. What gives? Is it still safe to eat?
                        By all of these metrics, I was within, and often right on, the recommended temp and within the recommended time. Frustrating.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Possible problem #2: 2 mins per side is a lot, depending on how hot you have your searing pan. How hot was your pan?

Comment

Possible problem #2: 2 mins per side is a lot, depending on how hot you have your searing pan. How hot was your pan?
                            Dunno. Started it around high heat to warm up, but turned it down to med-high because I was afraid of getting burned. The main reason I left the chicken on 2 min each side was that it wasn't searing too quickly. Leads me to believe it wasn't that hot.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Dunno. Started it around high heat to warm up, but turned it down to med-high because I was afraid of getting burned. The main reason I left the chicken on 2 min each side was that it wasn't searing too quickly. Leads me to believe it wasn't that hot.
                              pan not hot bro
                              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                                pan not hot bro
                                Yeah but is that the cause or the problem?

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X