No announcement yet.

The official soup thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To-die-for chili last night using 96% lean ground beef and low-fat pork sausage. Only regret is that I didn’t make more.

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
      I was going to roast a turkey breast but ran out of time. I bought a cooked turkey breast from Costco and cut it into cubes, which worked pretty well. I think you could use the Costco rotisserie chicken with similar results.
      optimistically bought a frozen turkey breast but didn’t get it thawed in time (i know i know you can cook them from frozen). turned out nice with rotisserie chicken. thinking of serving it with some lime wedges.
      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• I have some pork loin roasts on the smoker to add to the concoction of beans, tomatoes, corn, and spices currently simmering in the crock pot.
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
          I have some pork loin roasts on the smoker to add to the concoction of beans, tomatoes, corn, and spices currently simmering in the crock pot.
          My chili was the only one I saw out of around 20 that was eaten completely. Unfortunately, there were no judges to declare a winner this year.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
            Cream of Potato soup is always a hit at my house.

3-4 lbs potatos cubed
            1 stalk celery minced - my kids don't like celery and this hides it a little
            1 carrot minced
            1/2 onion minced
            1 tsp bacon fat ( any other oil will do )
            1/2 lb ham cubed (optional)
            1 qt chicken stock or broth - enough to cover the potatos( I use Swanson's low sodium)
            2 cups canned milk ( can subsitute cream or half and half )
            salt and white pepper
            roux
            ( 1/4 c flour and 1/4 oil - I use a mixture of butter and bacon fat)

saute the onion, carrot, and celery in the bacon fat, in a 5-6 qt dutch oven. When soft add chicken stock and potatos. Simmer potatos until done (about 15-20 minutes). Add canned milk and ham (if desired) and bring back to a simmer. add salt and pepper to taste

Thicken with a roux to the desired thickness.

garnish with grated chedder cheese, parsley, bacon bits (if ham is not used)

10+ years after happyone posted this recipe, I am going to make it. Apparently my kids had some potato soup while visitng their cousins over the holiday break, and they came back requesting potato soup. I remembered that I have this potato soup recipe that i've been wanting to try for about a decade. So it shall happen this weekend. I saved the bacon fat from the bacon I cooked this weekend, so I'm all ready. I will return and report.
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• I love potato soup. Made some on Saturday that was delish. Sunday, I made carnitas and lo and behold, carnitas in the potato soup on Monday was awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                10+ years after happyone posted this recipe, I am going to make it. Apparently my kids had some potato soup while visitng their cousins over the holiday break, and they came back requesting potato soup. I remembered that I have this potato soup recipe that i've been wanting to try for about a decade. So it shall happen this weekend. I saved the bacon fat from the bacon I cooked this weekend, so I'm all ready. I will return and report.
                A couple of revisions that I've made over the yrs -

I tend to use red potatoes if available - they seem to stand up better to the cooking process
                Since I couple of my kids and one of my grandkids are gluten free, I'll use a slurry of cornstarch and water to thicken. I like my soup thick, so I do thicken it.

If the stock doesn't cover the potatoes, just add some water 'till it does.

I hope you and more importantly your kids enjoy the soup

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Working...
                X