What would you have done?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • il Padrino Ute
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 19161

    #1

    What would you have done?

    A neighbor just stopped by, knocked on the door and I answered. She offered my family dinner. She's been cooking all day and apparently made a larger quantity than she had originally planned. It's fettuccine alfredo - and she's proud of herself for having made the sauce herself by following a recipe that "a real Italian gave to her husband".

    It gets better, folks.

    She then stated "I know you'll like it because you went to Italy on a mission so you know what good Italian (pronounced eye-talian) food is. The sauce is at least as good as Olive Garden."

    I blankly stared at her for a few seconds than quietly forced myself to say "thank you for this generous offer. I'm sure we'll enjoy it."

    That was tough to do, as my initial reaction to the Olive Garden would be to tell her exactly what I think of Olive Garden. I just didn't want to hurt her feelings, so I didn't just blurt out what was on my mind which is what I would usually do.

    I'm not used to thinking before talking. It's very uncomfortable. I don't like it. As for the food, I'll eat something else. The dog doesn't even seem interested in it.
    27
    Graciously accept the dinner that was prepared by your neighbor.
    92.59%
    25
    Tell her exactly what you think of Olive Garden and what she can do with the food.
    0.00%
    0
    Begrudgingly accept the dinner prepared by your neighbor.
    7.41%
    2
    Slam the door in your neighbor's face and hope you make it to the toilet before you puke.
    0.00%
    0
    Last edited by il Padrino Ute; 11-12-2009, 10:09 PM.
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader
  • UtahDan
    *
    • Nov 2008
    • 14496

    #2
    Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
    I'm not used to thinking before talking. It's very uncomfortable. I don't like it.
    There is an art to saying what is on your mind, even when it is insulting, without leaving the person with the impression they have been insulted.

    Comment

    • MarkGrace
      Grooveshark dick tease
      • Dec 2008
      • 31546

      #3
      I would eat Olive Garden quality for free. It's not that offensive. The real stickler is the price they charge for the quality. Now that is offensive.
      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

      Comment

      • falafel
        loves to talk on things
        • Mar 2009
        • 38003

        #4
        If I were you IPU, I would accept the dinner and trick yourself into thinking that you are eating American food instead of really crappy Eye-talian food.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

        Dig your own grave, and save!

        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

        Comment

        • Fiyero
          Banned
          • Nov 2008
          • 5266

          #5
          Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
          There is an art to saying what is on your mind, even when it is insulting, without leaving the person with the impression they have been insulted.
          That reminds me of one of my favorite scenes from Cheers:

          Bouncer (played by Ogre from Revenge of the Nerds): Why are you calling me Tiny?

          Cliff Clavin: Uh, you know, to call you Tiny, a man of your girth, is what we in the comedy profession call a juxtaposition. You see, it's like calling a bald guy Curly, a fat guy Slim, or a tall guy Shorty!

          Bouncer: I like that. You're smart.

          Cliff Clavin: Why, thank you.

          Bouncer: No, I just did one.

          Comment

          • TripletDaddy
            sweet triple
            • Nov 2008
            • 58186

            #6
            Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
            A neighbor just stopped by, knoecked on the door and I answered. She offered my family dinner. She's been cooking all day and apparently made a larger quantity than she had originally planned. It's fettuccine alfredo - and she's proud of herself for having made the sauce herself by following a recipe that "a real Italian gave to her husband".

            It gets better, folks.

            She then stated "I know you'll like it because you went to Italy on a mission so you know what good Italian (pronounced eye-talian) food is. The sauce is at least as good as Olive Garden."

            I blankly stared at her for a few seconds than quietly forced myself to say "thank you for this generous offer. I'm sure we'll enjoy it."

            That was tough to do, as my initial reaction to the Olive Garden would be to tell her exactly what I think of Olive Garden. I just didn't want to hurt her feelings, so I didn't just blurt out what was on my mind which is what I would usually do.

            I'm not used to thinking before talking. It's very uncomfortable. I don't like it. As for the food, I'll eat something else. The dog doesn't even seem interested in it.
            This is karma for all your mischief and sassy gun avatars!
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

            sigpic

            Comment

            • TripletDaddy
              sweet triple
              • Nov 2008
              • 58186

              #7
              Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
              I would eat Olive Garden quality for free. It's not that offensive. The real stickler is the price they charge for the quality. Now that is offensive.
              Dude, you say this but I promise that you don't really mean it.

              Almost every time we go to visit the fam in Utah, they take us to Olive Garden or Mimi's Cafe. If we stay an entire week, we will go to both.

              Since it is very generous of them to treat us, we never say anything nor complain. We go and enjoy the company and the conversation.

              But I just can't eat Olive Garden food. I don't know why, but I think it stems from when I was in undergrad. We would go to Smiths and buy a bunch of those frozen entree things that cost around $1....we would buy like 10 of them at a time. I ate so many of them that when I eat at OG, the taste reminds me of those frozen meals. I just can't do it.

              Several years ago, I stopped eating their normal menu items and simply get a salad for dinner. I stopped trying.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

              sigpic

              Comment

              • SeattleUte
                Faith crisis consultant
                • Nov 2008
                • 20837

                #8
                Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                A neighbor just stopped by, knoecked on the door and I answered. She offered my family dinner. She's been cooking all day and apparently made a larger quantity than she had originally planned. It's fettuccine alfredo - and she's proud of herself for having made the sauce herself by following a recipe that "a real Italian gave to her husband".

                It gets better, folks.

                She then stated "I know you'll like it because you went to Italy on a mission so you know what good Italian (pronounced eye-talian) food is. The sauce is at least as good as Olive Garden."

                I blankly stared at her for a few seconds than quietly forced myself to say "thank you for this generous offer. I'm sure we'll enjoy it."

                That was tough to do, as my initial reaction to the Olive Garden would be to tell her exactly what I think of Olive Garden. I just didn't want to hurt her feelings, so I didn't just blurt out what was on my mind which is what I would usually do.

                I'm not used to thinking before talking. It's very uncomfortable. I don't like it. As for the food, I'll eat something else. The dog doesn't even seem interested in it.
                What do you expect? You live in Midvale, Utah. (Are there any "real Italians" there?) Sorry, just being honest! (Isn't Alfredo the Italian equivalent of Teriyaki anyway?)
                When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                --Jonathan Swift

                Comment

                • TripletDaddy
                  sweet triple
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 58186

                  #9
                  Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                  What do you expect? You live in Midvale, Utah. (Are there any "real Italians" there?) Sorry, just being honest! (Isn't Alfredo the Italian equivalent of Teriyaki anyway?)
                  :anger:
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • pellegrino
                    miserere me
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 12100

                    #10
                    You did the right thing, but that's still worse than going to the theater.
                    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                    Alessandro Manzoni

                    Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                    pelagius

                    Comment

                    • il Padrino Ute
                      Junior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 19161

                      #11
                      Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                      What do you expect? You live in Midvale, Utah. (Are there any "real Italians" there?) Sorry, just being honest! (Isn't Alfredo the Italian equivalent of Teriyaki anyway?)
                      Actually, I live in Murray.

                      And yes, there is a small Italian community here. If you're ever in Salt Lake, I'll buy you lunch at Caputo's and point them out to you.

                      There are a surprising numbers of LDS folks that I knew in Italy who now live here. And honestly, Caputo's is where I can go to speak Italian with several folks who are not members of the LDS church. There's a great little men's clothing shop on the corner of State and South Temple - it's called Moda Italia - that is owned by a gentleman from southern Italy who joined the church then moved here in the 80s who hand tailors most of the suits and sports coats.

                      SLC isn't as provincial as you remember or want to remember it, SU. It has a long way to go still, but it getting there.
                      Last edited by il Padrino Ute; 11-12-2009, 10:18 PM.
                      "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                      "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                      Comment

                      • Non Sequitur
                        Where did I put my bodkin
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 5773

                        #12
                        Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                        Actually, I live in Murray.

                        And yes, there is a small Italian community here. If you're ever in Salt Lake, I'll buy you lunch at Caputo's and point them out to you.

                        There are a surprising numbers of LDS folks that I knew in Italy who now live here. And honestly, Caputo's is where I can go to speak Italian with several folks who are not members of the LDS church. There's a great little men's clothing shop on the corner of State and South Temple - it's called Moda Italia - that is owned by a gentleman from southern Italy who joined the church then moved here in the 80s who hand tailors most of the suits and sports coats.

                        SLC isn't as provincial as you remember or want to remember it, SU. It has a long way to go still, but it getting there.
                        Where is Caputo's? I'll have to check it out.

                        Also, I moved to the Murray area a few months ago. Where, exactly, is the non-provincial part of town?
                        "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

                        Comment

                        • il Padrino Ute
                          Junior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 19161

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                          Where is Caputo's? I'll have to check it out.

                          Also, I moved to the Murray area a few months ago. Where, exactly, is the non-provincial part of town?
                          Caputo's is on 300 S. between 300 and 400 W., just north of Pioneer Park. Great sandwiches and pastas. It's like walking into a little place in Italy.



                          The non-provincial part of town is, ironically, closer to the church headquarters. Out this way in the 'burbs it's more like people think it is.

                          Where in Murray are you?
                          "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                          "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                          Comment

                          • SuperGabers
                            aka... UtahDan's Wifey
                            • May 2009
                            • 2182

                            #14
                            Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post

                            She then stated "I know you'll like it because you went to Italy on a mission so you know what good Italian (pronounced eye-talian) food is.
                            Where and when were you in Eye-tally? My bro served in Padova 6-7 years ago...

                            Comment

                            • marsupial
                              Mississippi Queen
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 3678

                              #15
                              Originally posted by SuperGabers View Post
                              Where and when were you in Eye-tally? My bro served in Padova 6-7 years ago...
                              IPU is older than that.

                              It was a thoughtful gesture. I would accept graciously and lie to her later about how good it was.
                              What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
                              -Teenage Dirtbag

                              Comment

                              Working...