It's just not fair

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69742

    #1

    It's just not fair

    I can walk into any one of the myriad of average-looking, strip-mall sushi bars in California and it is usually superior to almost any sushi restaurant in Utah.

    (sigh...)
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster
  • JohnnyLingo
    La Naranja
    • Nov 2008
    • 3976

    #2
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I can walk into any one of the myriad of average-looking, strip-mall sushi bars in California and it is usually superior to almost any sushi restaurant in Utah.

    (sigh...)
    Not many Japanese immigrants settled in Utah.

    Comment

    • Jeff Lebowski
      Corporate lackey for Jesus
      • Nov 2008
      • 69742

      #3
      Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
      Not many Japanese immigrants settled in Utah.
      At the place last night all of the sushi chefs were speaking Chinese. That usually spells trouble. But it was still excellent.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

      Comment

      • FMCoug
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 6825

        #4
        Isn't this true of most types of cuisine?
        "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

        Comment

        • Fiyero
          Banned
          • Nov 2008
          • 5266

          #5
          I have it on good authority that Tim had deer sushi last week. That's something you don't see in California or Utah.

          Comment

          • TripletDaddy
            sweet triple
            • Nov 2008
            • 58186

            #6
            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            I can walk into any one of the myriad of average-looking, strip-mall sushi bars in California and it is usually superior to almost any sushi restaurant in Utah.

            (sigh...)
            Are you here in California right now?
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

            sigpic

            Comment

            • Jeff Lebowski
              Corporate lackey for Jesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 69742

              #7
              Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
              Isn't this true of most types of cuisine?
              It's more a matter of location. For example, the food in Mississippi is worse than the food in Utah across the board. Ditto Alabama, most places in Florida, etc.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

              Comment

              • Jeff Lebowski
                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 69742

                #8
                Originally posted by Fiyero View Post
                I have it on good authority that Tim had deer sushi last week. That's something you don't see in California or Utah.
                Our Tim? Our tree-hugging, bleeding-heart Tim? No way.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment

                • Drunk Tank
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2009
                  • 2569

                  #9
                  We ate at the Last Samurai in Park City while we were there. We sat at the tepan table and had the chicken, filet, and shrimp (Samurai Special). We ordered the noodles as recommended by our server instead of the rice. The noodles didnt dissapoint. The food was great and the sushi we ordered (Unagi, Rainbow roll, and spicy hamachi roll) was on par with the quality I would get local. http://www.lastsamuraislc.com
                  Last edited by Drunk Tank; 09-23-2009, 07:59 AM.
                  "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

                  Comment

                  • Pheidippides
                    Liberal Feminazi
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 14759

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    I can walk into any one of the myriad of average-looking, strip-mall sushi bars in California and it is usually superior to almost any sushi restaurant in Utah.

                    (sigh...)
                    This sums up the reason for my "no sushi if I am more than 200 miles from the coast" rule. I think I'd probably make an exception for Chicago, since it is a huge city.

                    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    At the place last night all of the sushi chefs were speaking Chinese. That usually spells trouble. But it was still excellent.
                    Funny that you use that criteria too, as it's the same one I use. I have found some exceptions - usually where the place is owned by somebody who is Japanese.
                    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                    Comment

                    • kccougar
                      9262
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 7020

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Our Tim? Our tree-hugging, bleeding-heart Tim? No way.
                      Worse. It was not deer sushi. It was horse sushi.
                      "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

                      Comment

                      • Fiyero
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 5266

                        #12
                        I stand corrected, it was in fact horse sushi. He took a photo, but it's not my place to share it.....

                        Comment

                        • Jeff Lebowski
                          Corporate lackey for Jesus
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 69742

                          #13
                          Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                          Worse. It was not deer sushi. It was horse sushi.
                          I have tried that. I prefer fish.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                          Comment

                          • Jeff Lebowski
                            Corporate lackey for Jesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 69742

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                            We ate at the Last Samurai in Park City while we were there. We sat at the tepan table and had the chicken, filet, and shrimp (Samurai Special). We ordered the noodles as recommended by our server instead of the rice. The noodles didnt dissapoint. The food was great and the sushi we ordered (Unagi, Rainbow roll, and spicy hamachi roll) was on par with the quality I would get local. http://www.lastsamuraislc.com
                            The Flying Sumo in Park City is quite good also.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                            Comment

                            • FMCoug
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 6825

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              It's more a matter of location. For example, the food in Mississippi is worse than the food in Utah across the board. Ditto Alabama, most places in Florida, etc.
                              That's what I meant. Unless you're in a really big city, food is very regional. You're going to get the best Mexican in a border state, Sushi in CA, etc.

                              And I bet you can get better southern food in Mississippi and Alabama than Utah.
                              "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                              Comment

                              Working...