"Taking Chance"

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • LA Ute
    Receiver of Memory
    • Nov 2008
    • 19512

    #1

    "Taking Chance"

    Don't know if anyone's posted on this yet. My family and I watched this 78-minute HBO movie last night. It's terrific, the true story of a Marine Lieutenant Colonel (Kevin Bacon) who volunteers, for personal reasons, to escort a fallen Marine's body home from Iraq. There's much less dialogue than in most movies, and some excellent storytelling techniques. It's very moving, not a polemic of any kind. People on any sides of the war debate will find it moving and insight-provoking. My wife, my two kids (one age 12) were riveted throughout.


    In other words, I loved it.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden


    "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery
  • SteelBlue
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 8189

    #2
    Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
    Don't know if anyone's posted on this yet. My family and I watched this 78-minute HBO movie last night. It's terrific, the true story of a Marine Lieutenant Colonel (Kevin Bacon) who volunteers, for personal reasons, to escort a fallen Marine's body home from Iraq. There's much less dialogue than in most movies, and some excellent storytelling techniques. It's very moving, not a polemic of any kind. People on any sides of the war debate will find it moving and insight-provoking. My wife, my two kids (one age 12) were riveted throughout.


    In other words, I loved it.
    I've never even heard of it. Thank you for the heads up, I plan to see it.

    Comment

    • Jeff Lebowski
      Corporate lackey for Jesus
      • Nov 2008
      • 69727

      #3
      Yes, we have talked about it:



      The wife and I both thought it was very good.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

      Comment

      • LA Ute
        Receiver of Memory
        • Nov 2008
        • 19512

        #4
        Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
        I've never even heard of it. Thank you for the heads up, I plan to see it.
        We just grabbed it at a Blockbuster on impulse. Here's the trailer:

        [YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MtmiLdzzgGE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MtmiLdzzgGE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
        Last edited by LA Ute; 08-16-2009, 09:50 PM.
        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
        ― W.H. Auden


        "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


        "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

        Comment

        • Surfah
          Where's Wallace?
          • Nov 2008
          • 33726

          #5
          Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
          We just grabbed it at a Blockbuster on impulse.
          Whoa. You still go to Blockbuster? I didn't even know they were still in business. Seems like all of them around me are empty with For Lease signs in the windows.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

          Comment

          • LA Ute
            Receiver of Memory
            • Nov 2008
            • 19512

            #6
            Originally posted by Surfah View Post
            Whoa. You still go to Blockbuster? I didn't even know they were still in business. Seems like all of them around me are empty with For Lease signs in the windows.
            I was in Salt Lake and there was one right there on 400 South and about 600 East, so we pulled in. It seemed pretty busy. There's a big one here in L.A. too. They seem to be doing fine, but there aren't as many of them anymore.
            “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
            ― W.H. Auden


            "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
            -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


            "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

            Comment

            • Goatnapper'96
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 10924

              #7
              Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
              Don't know if anyone's posted on this yet. My family and I watched this 78-minute HBO movie last night. It's terrific, the true story of a Marine Lieutenant Colonel (Kevin Bacon) who volunteers, for personal reasons, to escort a fallen Marine's body home from Iraq. There's much less dialogue than in most movies, and some excellent storytelling techniques. It's very moving, not a polemic of any kind. People on any sides of the war debate will find it moving and insight-provoking. My wife, my two kids (one age 12) were riveted throughout.


              In other words, I loved it.
              He wrote up the experience as part of his filing of some DOD form as part of his military duty for escorting the deceased Marine. I read parts at our community 4th of July event a few years ago. The story made my cry the night I read it and it made me cry when I watched the HBO movie.
              Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
              -General George S. Patton

              I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
              -DOCTOR Wuap

              Comment

              Working...