What Are You Reading Now?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69703

    #2311
    Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
    Interesting. This sounds an awful lot like what Vinnie Tortorich (nutritionist to the stars) has been preaching for the last 5 years on Adam Carolla's podcast. I've been meaning to get his book (No Sugar No Grain--NSNG) and now I think I will and i'll add this one too. He also says the liver doesn't distinguish between real sugar and artificial sweeteners, so they create the same insulin spike.
    This guy is not against most whole grains, provided they are eaten in moderation. The fiber and bran work to counteract the carbs. White flour is the worst. All the healthy stuff is gone and it is finely ground so it is absorbed directly into the blood. Just like sugar in terms of insulin response.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

    Comment

    • old_gregg
      scaly man fish
      • Nov 2009
      • 16915

      #2312
      but there’s no clinical data for this predisposition against artificial sweeteners right? i guess anecdotally it does make me more likely to crave sweet stuff.
      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

      Comment

      • Jeff Lebowski
        Corporate lackey for Jesus
        • Nov 2008
        • 69703

        #2313
        Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
        but there’s no clinical data for this predisposition against artificial sweeteners right? i guess anecdotally it does make me more likely to crave sweet stuff.
        Results are mixed, but most data seem to indicate that they don't produce a large insulin spike. That's how I read it, anyway.

        Explore the pros and cons of artificial sweeteners, their impact on health, and the controversy surrounding their use. Learn about WHO guidelines, FDA regulations, and expert recommendations on sugar substitutes.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

        Comment

        • LiveCoug
          LA Ute loves me
          • Nov 2008
          • 18488

          #2314
          Pillars of the Earth. Who knew a 1000 page book about a cathedral builder could be entertaining?

          Comment

          • happyone
            Board Bookworm
            • Mar 2009
            • 5398

            #2315
            Follett does write a goooood novel

            I may be small, but I'm slow.

            A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

            Comment

            • BigPiney
              Huge Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 12366

              #2316
              Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
              Pillars of the Earth. Who knew a 1000 page book about a cathedral builder could be entertaining?
              I really liked it. Though I have had the second one in my desk for years, and not started it.

              Comment

              • CardiacCoug
                вот так штука
                • Nov 2008
                • 11013

                #2317
                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                I just finished The Obesity Code, by Jason Fung. My doctor son talked me into reading it. This is a potentially life-changing book. I was already aware of much of the stuff he presented, but I still learned a ton. The great thing is that he constantly cites clinical trials and does so in an engaging and interesting fashion. He just keeps hammering away with evidence to support his main claims. Great book.

                A summary:

                1) His main thesis is that obesity has many factors, but far and away the most important factor is insulin resistance. He presents a mountain of evidence to support this. Insulin resistance results from eating sugars and refined carbs and from snacking too much, i.e., overloading your blood with insulin then never giving it a break. Insulin resistance raises your body's set point (fat thermostat) and keeps you fat.

                2) Calorie counting does not work as it is based on a fundamentally flawed assumption - that your body burns calories at a steady rate. Also, it does not address the fundamental problem: insulin resistance.

                3) Exercise has very little impact on weight loss. You should do it to be healthy, but it plays a very minor role in weight loss.

                4) Eat less/move more does not work in the long run, again because it does not address insulin resistance. Study after study shows that it doesn't work.

                5) The anti-fat crusade was a disaster. Fats do not make you fat. They do not produce an insulin response and they trigger satiety hormones. Most people who eat low fat replace the fats with carbs, a recipe for failure.

                6) Proteins stimulate insulin and should be eaten in moderation. This is why atkins diet does not work long-term.

                7) Natural fats (olive oil, avocados, nuts) are extremely healthy and promote weight loss.

                8) The current fad to eat 6 small meals per day (i.e., grazing) is wrong. That keeps your insulin high and promotes resistance.

                9) Avoid high fructose corn syrup like the plague. It can only be metabolized in the liver and causes fatty liver and insulin resistance, moreso than cane sugar.

                10) Not all carbs are bad. Whole fruits are just fine because the fiber, etc. reduces the insulin response.

                11) To reduce insulin resistance, he recommends:

                a) Avoid sugars and refined carbs (white flour especially)
                b) Eat a mediterranean diet
                c) Never ever snack between meals - this gives your body an insulin break
                d) Intermittent fasting. Fast 2x per week (with plenty of fluids). This again gives your body an insulin break and reduces insulin resistance.

                There is far more to it, but you get the idea. I have been doing this for about a month and have lost quite a bit of weight already.
                I agree completely that simple carbs make people fat. There is no doubt in my mind about that — a plant-based diet with a little bit of fat/oil/meat is the way to go.

                And that exercise fallacy is something I hear every single day: “I gained 50 pounds after I hurt my knee because I couldn’t exercise!” That is a completely insane thing to say — there are so many skinny people who don’t exercise much.

                The thing that is discouraging about weight is that people have to constantly improve their diet over the years just to stay at a normal weight. If you’re not improving every year then the same diet that kept you at a BMI or 22 in your 20s will get you easily into a BMI in the 30s by the time you are 50. Constant improvement in habits is required or obesity is pretty much guaranteed these days.

                Comment

                • Bo Diddley
                  Senior
                  • Jul 2012
                  • 18790

                  #2318
                  Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                  I agree completely that simple carbs make people fat. There is no doubt in my mind about that — a plant-based diet with a little bit of fat/oil/meat is the way to go.

                  And that exercise fallacy is something I hear every single day: “I gained 50 pounds after I hurt my knee because I couldn’t exercise!” That is a completely insane thing to say — there are so many skinny people who don’t exercise much.

                  The thing that is discouraging about weight is that people have to constantly improve their diet over the years just to stay at a normal weight. If you’re not improving every year then the same diet that kept you at a BMI or 22 in your 20s will get you easily into a BMI in the 30s by the time you are 50. Constant improvement in habits is required or obesity is pretty much guaranteed these days.
                  My activity level has been below normal for about nine months now as I deal with Achilles tendon issues. I'm about the same weight, but my body composition has changed somewhat. I'm a little thicker around the middle with less muscle tone.

                  Comment

                  • LiveCoug
                    LA Ute loves me
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 18488

                    #2319
                    Here is a great book for the kids.

                    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/069...SIN=0692905588

                    Comment

                    • CardiacCoug
                      вот так штука
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 11013

                      #2320
                      Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                      Oh my. It would be funny if it weren’t sad.

                      Comment

                      • Bo Diddley
                        Senior
                        • Jul 2012
                        • 18790

                        #2321
                        Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                        Haha! 1 1/2 stars.

                        Comment

                        • happyone
                          Board Bookworm
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 5398

                          #2322
                          I just started Chernow's Grant that some of you have already read.

                          For some reason the library sent the Large Print version home with Mrs. Happy. It really is a door stop (over 1500 pages) In spite of my advancing age, I really don't need the large print!
                          Last edited by happyone; 08-06-2018, 03:28 PM.

                          I may be small, but I'm slow.

                          A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

                          Comment

                          • falafel
                            loves to talk on things
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 37986

                            #2323
                            Reading An Innocent Client by Scott Pratt. First in the Joe Dillard series. Never heard of the author or the series, but it has almost 11,500 reviews on Amazon and 4.5 stars (and its on Kindle Unlimited). Can't be total garbage, right?
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                            Dig your own grave, and save!

                            "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                            "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                            Comment

                            • SteelBlue
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 8189

                              #2324
                              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              I just finished The Obesity Code, by Jason Fung. My doctor son talked me into reading it. This is a potentially life-changing book. I was already aware of much of the stuff he presented, but I still learned a ton. The great thing is that he constantly cites clinical trials and does so in an engaging and interesting fashion. He just keeps hammering away with evidence to support his main claims.
                              Thanks. Just bought this one.

                              Comment

                              • happyone
                                Board Bookworm
                                • Mar 2009
                                • 5398

                                #2325
                                I finished Patrick O'Donnell's look at the men who escorted the Unknown Soldier of WW I back from France, The Unknowns

                                My thoughts if anyone is interested

                                I also finally typed up my thoughts on The Darkest Hour

                                I'm still plowing away on Chernow's bio of Grant.

                                There seems to be two basic themes in the narrative - the damage Grant's pre Civil War drinking did to his reputation as he rose to promanence and his accepting people at face value and as a result trusting people he shouldn't.
                                Last edited by happyone; 08-07-2018, 08:02 PM.

                                I may be small, but I'm slow.

                                A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

                                Comment

                                Working...