What Are You Reading Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
    So I downloaded "The Road" onto my kindle from my local library. I read about a page and a half. As I was reading, I noticed it seemed to be missing a ton of punctuation. Commas were practically non-existent. The run-on sentences were ridiculous. I figured this was probably an OCR problem when it converted to electronic format.

So I hopped on Amazon and read the first couple pages there. Apparently it's not an OCR issue. Is the entire book that way, or is this merely setting tone in the initial chapter? I'm not sure I can take an entire book of crappily-worded, run-on sentences.
    The whole book is that way. It's worth the read.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

• "James Joyce is a good model for punctuation. He keeps it to an absolute minimum. There’s no reason to blot the page up with weird little marks. I mean, if you write properly you shouldn’t have to punctuate."

--Cormac McCarthy
      You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

So I downloaded "The Road" onto my kindle from my local library. I read about a page and a half. As I was reading, I noticed it seemed to be missing a ton of punctuation. Commas were practically non-existent. The run-on sentences were ridiculous. I figured this was probably an OCR problem when it converted to electronic format.

So I hopped on Amazon and read the first couple pages there. Apparently it's not an OCR issue. Is the entire book that way, or is this merely setting tone in the initial chapter? I'm not sure I can take an entire book of crappily-worded, run-on sentences.
        This will be good for your OCD. Exposure therapy.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Welcome to the writings of Cormac McCarthy.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
            "James Joyce is a good model for punctuation. He keeps it to an absolute minimum. There’s no reason to blot the page up with weird little marks. I mean, if you write properly you shouldn’t have to punctuate."

--Cormac McCarthy
            Uh, within the first two pages, he wrote a sentence that made it sound like the protagonist was bringing his son some cornmeal cakes in a plastic bottle of syrup.

I'm not sure I can handle reading an entire book from someone who thinks he's above the rules of punctuation.
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Uh, within the first two pages, he wrote a sentence that made it sound like the protagonist was bringing his son some cornmeal cakes in a plastic bottle of syrup.

I'm not sure I can handle reading an entire book from someone who thinks he's above the rules of punctuation.
              What about a guy who thinks everyone knows and understands Spanish?
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                I knew you would come through on this one.

I think I will start with the book on Peter the Great and go from there.
                That's the way I would go. I think the Peter the Great book is the better of the two

enjoy

If you find you like Massie's style - I think his book on the Naval Arms race pre WW I and the run up to the war is fantastic

http://www.amazon.com/Dreadnought-Ro...eywords=massie
                Last edited by happyone; 12-17-2013, 07:46 AM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• In Other Rooms Other Wonders. Collection of short stories interconnected by each character's connection to a rich landowner and businessman in Pakistan. Think Downton Abbbey in Islamabad and Lahore. Every character, rich or poor, servant or served had one thing in common by the end of each story; misery. Finished the book wondering if there was even one happy person in Pakistan.

Comment

It is pretty bad. It was the main reason I did not like All The Pretty Horses. You may better off listening to the audiobook. I listened to No Country for Old Men and the lack of punctuation did not bother me.
                    Last edited by BigPiney; 12-18-2013, 08:40 AM. Reason: wrong book

Comment

• My kids are participating in the Battle of the Books, so I have been reading and will be reading some of these titles with them.

City of Ember - Jean duprau Good young adult book, probably good for 4th or 5th grade and up. I read the whole series in just over a week. Not great, but the flew through this thing.

Not for the kids: NOS4A2 - Joe Hill Finished listening to this. Really enjoyed this. He is Stephen King's son and this was like listening to an older King horror book, not those crappy newer ones. I enjoyed this more than any other book this year. I was a slightly dissapointed in the ending, but I think the epilogue fixed that a bit. If you like horror, then I recommend you pick it up from your library.

Comment

• What We Talk About When We Talk About Anne Frank. It's a collection of short stories written by Nathan Englander that so far have ranged from incredibly funny to touching and sad. I recommend it highly (Pulitzer finalist, lost to the Orphan Master's Son). Mormons make an appearance in the first story, but I don't want to spoil anything.

Comment

• http://www.amazon.com/An-Illustrated...+bad+arguments

The Illustrated Book of Bad Arguments. It's a fun read and the illustrations are good. For that budding logic lover in your family!
                          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

• Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power by Jonathan Meacham.

I'm about 200 pages in, and it's solid.
                            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                              Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power by Jonathan Meacham.

I'm about 200 pages in, and it's solid.
                              I'll be interested in your review. I've wondered what the "go to" book on Jefferson is.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
                              "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

• The Pale King by David Foster Wallace

Comment

Working...
                                X